Monday, June 3, 2019

Jawala Kanda Fritters/ Tiny Shrimps Onion Fritters.


"Jawala Kanda Fritters/ Tiny Shrimps Onion Fritters" ... Jawala has caught my fancy and when my friend suggested these pakodas I just could not stop myself from trying out and relishing it with some ketchup ... they are a great dish to be served as starters to fish lovers …. 

** Here is a delicious bajia/fritters/pakodas/deep fries/vadas prepared with Jawala/tiny shrimps that tastes simply awesome. Jawala are tiny shrimps available in plenty now in fish market. These have a slightly strong smell and are not liked by many though, I loved it for a change. Usually, I do not like any fish with a distinct aroma but somehow this appealed to me. I had prepared a stir fry/bhaji sort of dish a week back for the first time and loved it very much. My fish vendor had forced me to try out this fish and I just bought that much how much would suffice in preparation of one curry as I was not sure if we would like it in my home. When chatting up with my friend Jyoti, I casually mentioned it to her and she being a Maharashtrian and an awesome cook to her credit suggested preparing pakodas from them. Well, the pakodas have been doing rounds in my mind from then and I really was getting impatient to try out the same. So, this time when I went to buy fish, I bought another handful of the same to try out the pakodas which simply would not go out of my mind. I did make a few changes and added on Malvani masala powder for added flavor along with some hing and a pinch of soda for sponginess. I have never tried much of pakodas or cutlets using fish before except for a few times and I guess it is time for me now to experiment in this field too. A lovely starter dish that is definitely going to be loved by fish eaters. Do try this out if you have a non-veg party, they are definitely appreciated as starters. 

** The Recipe Credit goes to my friend “Jyoti Patankar” a beautician by practice, running her very own beauty salon ... Thanks dear, tastes simply wonderful, we loved it ... Shrimpilicious ... 

** Here is my simple recipe for "Jawala Kanda Fritters/ Tiny Shrimps Onion Fritters" … My Style … 

** Ingredients :
Jawala / Tiny Shrimps : 1 cup 
Onion / Piyavu / Kanda : 1 large sized or 2 medium sized finely chopped. 
Besan / Gram Flour : 1 cup 
Rice Flour / Tandla Pitti / Chawal Ka Atta : ¼ cup 
Malvani Masala Powder : 1 tblsp (store bought) 
Kashmiri Red Chilly Powder / Mirsange Pitti : 1 tblsp 
Haldi / Turmeric Powder : ½ tsp 
Hing / Asafoetida Powder : 1 tsp 
Cooking Soda Powder / Soda pitti : a large pinch 
Green Chillies / Hirwi Mirchi / Tarni Mirsanaga : 4-5 finely chopped. 
Coriander Leaves / Kothambari Pallo / Dhania : ½ cup finely chopped. 
Curry Leaves / Kadi Patta / Karbevu : 10-12 fresh one’s finely chopped. 
Salt to taste 
Hot Oil : 1 tsp 

** Oil for deep frying.


** Wash and clean the Jawala/tiny shrimps and gently squeeze out as much water as possible and put it in a wide bowl. Add in all the above mentioned ingredients and mix well. Sprinkle water and keep mixing the ingredients till you get the bajia consistency. Check the picture attached. The batter should neither be too dry nor too thin in texture and you should be able to drop spoonful of batter effortlessly in oil. Keep the mixture aside for 5-10 minutes. 

** Heat plenty of oil for deep frying in a thick bottomed kadai, when it reaches smoking point, lower the heat and wait for a few minutes. Now gently drop lumps of the mixture say about a tablespoon each into the hot oil, carefully. Do not overcrowd the kadai, there should be enough space for the bajias/fritters to get well cooked and fried. 

** Once the bajias/fritter have turned in light colour with the help of ringed spatula meant for deep frying keep turning them to get browned evenly. Once they turn crisp remove from oil with the help of ringed spatula to drop back excess oil back in kadai and place them on an absorbent paper for excess oil to get drained. Add in the next batch and continue frying in similar manner till all are done. 

** "Jawala Kanda Fritters/ Tiny Shrimps Onion Fritters" are done and ready to be served. This is a starter sort of a snack dish that goes well with coriander chutney as an accompaniment for sure. But as I tried this out for the first time, I had no knowledge or its outcome, so had not prepared the chutney, instead served it with tomato ketchup which tasted awesome. If you are a fish lover, then you must definitely try out these bajias/fritters and relish them with your family and friends. 

** Note : Be careful while frying the bajias, do not drop large amounts as they may remain uncooked from within. See to it that you do not drop more than a tablespoon of the batter mixture into the oil. They do become a little bit larger in size as they get cooked and also take care of the oil temperature, by keeping the heat constant throughout deep frying. 

** Note : Do not over fry the bajias/fritters as they may burn out and turn slightly bitter in taste. Once they are half cooked keep turning them frequently to cook them evenly to light brown color before removing them out of oil. The fish within and the onions too should not turn crisp as it looses taste. 

** Note : For those of you who love fish pakodas, but do not like too much aroma of the same can cut down on the amount of Jawala/tiny shrimps added to the mixture. You can cut down the amount by ¼ or ½ but not lesser than that, after all it is fish pakoda and some aroma should remain and so should the taste in bites. 

** You can also check out the recipe of “Vegetable~Prawns Cutlets” a delicious starter / snack dish where in I have used prawns by going through the link given below ….

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of different types in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it or have a query, please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Do try out various types of dishes included in the Blog and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible.

** I am happy to inform you that I have also started a food group for by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" which is over and year old, with about 19K strong members. It is a pleasure to inform that you will find in the group many more recipes posted by our expert members and you too can share some of your own. The link to the group is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring" … Thank You …. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.