Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Lemon Grass~Cardamom Tea/Gavti~Ellachi Chai.


"Lemon Grass~Cardamom Flavored Tea/Gavti~Ellaichi Kadak Chai" ... Lemon grass (Takka Tana/Nimbe Hullu /Limbu Ghas/ Karppurapul) is a herb which has countless health benefits and one of the way to include them into your diet is by adding them while preparing tea ... I have also added on cardamom for additional flavor ... Relishing this with a few store bought potato wafers (karum kurum) .... Yumz .... 

** I have often written about how I came about drinking Tea in my life as from childhood I neither drank coffee nor tea both of which I disliked very much. I still do not drink coffee but yes, in the last 2 decades I have started drinking strong tea once in the morning during break fast time and now it has become a habit that I have to have at least half cup of it without which I sort of get uneasy in the morning. One cup keeps me going through the day by pepping up my energy levels for sure. I add on ginger to my tea and no sugar. Not that sugar is prohibited to me or hubby, touch wood, we have no issues there, but I somehow do not like my tea sweet and ginger flavored is my most favorite of all times, though I do try out others too. A little bit of changes in tea flavor with addition of other spices or herbs that are not only healthy but give some sort of satisfaction at times as a little bit of change is always necessary. 

** Lemon grass also known as Takka Tana in Konkani, Nimbe Hullu in Kannada, Gavti Chaa in Marathi, Karppurapul in Tamil and Limbu Ghas in Hindi/Gujrati besides many more names in other regional languages throughout India; is a herb that is sort of a long strip / blade like about 2-3 foot long in length. The vendors sell them by rolling on a dozen or so together and tying a knot at center with the same strip into a bundle. You can see it in the picture, that is the way we get them in Mumbai. You just need to buy them, clean and wash them, cut them into pieces and add in a few when preparing tea and it has a pleasant very mild aroma. However, it has lots of medicinal properties and is an form of antioxidant that is very good for health. The list of its health benefits are a lot and I will not run into it in details, as it is all available with our dear know all google. 

** Do include this herb if they are available in your vicinity. I believe they are available also in dried or coarse powder form too, though personally I have not come across it. We get them in plenty here and I always buy a few bundle, clean and cut them into 1 inch sized pieces and keep them in fridge in an airtight container. I use them when and as I need them. You can add them in preparation of any kashayam too, or prepare a decoction of the same, that is brew them in little water, cool and add them to any juice or buttermilk preparation for health benefit. I understand this should have been added long back, but at times these small things used in daily life somehow never come across as important to be posted. Sure to add on more of my preparations of lemon grass as and when I prepare. Addition of cardamom, again is choice, but it gives a lovely taste to the chai / tea not to mention that the same too has lots of health benefits. 


** Here is my simple method of prepaing "Lemon Grass~Cardamom Flavored Tea/ Gavti~Ellaichi Kadak Chai" …. 

** Addition of skimmed milk and water in equal parts is my way of making a strong and good chai, the Mumbai style, well that is my ratio but you can make your own variations in addition of the quantity of milk. 

** Add in 1 cup of skimmed milk and 1 cup of water in a thick bottomed stainless steel vessel/ pan and bring it to boil with addition of 3 tblsp of good strong tea leaves on medium heat. Keep checking on the heat so that the milk does not boil over from vessel.

** Note : You can use any brand available in the stores, but personally I have stuck to Society Tea brand as I found it best and to my satisfaction. It does give you a good strong lovely colored Tea/Chai.

** Once it comes to a boil, lower the heat, add in a large pinch of cardamom powder and about 10-12 blades of 2 inches in length lemon grass. Let the tea simmer for a good 5 minutes, stir once or twice in between.

** The tea will have turned strong flavored and darkened in color by now, remove and strain it through a fine sieve into serving mugs or cups. Add in sugar to taste, mix well and serve steaming hot immediately. 


** "Lemon Grass~Cardamom Flavored Tea/ Gavti~Ellaichi Kadak Chai" is ready to served. Tea/Chai should always be served steaming hot be it for breakfast or at any other time of the day. I Tea/Chai that has run cold is not at all appealing and looses it's taste. During winter/monsoon a steaming hot tea is a delight to sip on with some crunchy snacks.

** Enjoy this Tea/Chai steaming hot with your family for breakfast or tiffin and reap in the health benefits. It is believed that lemon grass is good for cough and cold and so is cardamom, you can serve this to those who are unwell with cough, cold and fever or during winter/monsoon season to avoid falling sick too. 

** Again, Tea/Chai and Coffee is a beverage that is enjoyed in almost every home all round the world. South Indians are more partial toward coffee while in the northern parts they love tea more. I myself though a south Indian / Konkani Saraswat GSB, prefer Chai/Tea to coffee and I prepare them in various combos. 

** It never actually struck me to post tea/coffee posting, as I always felt it was something common. Recently, I noticed that it was very much needed, so in given time I will definitely post all types of hot beverages I prepare in my home. You can also use the search option for tea/chai, coffee, kashaya etc. and you will find that I have already posted a few of them before.

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of different types in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it or have a query, please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Do try out various types of dishes included in the Blog and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible.

** I am happy to inform you that I have also started a food group for by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" which is over and year old, with about 19K strong members. It is a pleasure to inform that you will find in the group many more recipes posted by our expert members and you too can share some of your own. The link to the group is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring" … Thank You ….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.