Friday, April 5, 2019

Chilled Saunf (Fennel Seeds)~Saffron~Sharbat.


"Chilled Saunf~Saffron~Sharbat/Badisep (Fennel Seeds)~Kesar Coolant" ... Mumbai heat is burning with anger and I had loads of work to attend to in this scorching heat ... muttering to myself ... "Uffff Blistering Barnacles" I finished my work and came home and relished this awesome coolant I had kept for cooling in fridge and yes "Aaiyyamma Jeevu Aailloo" ... Now the next session in a few hours, but no worries, I am all charged and ready for it ....... 

** Saunf also known as badisep, fennel seeds, variyali is a herb that is very famous in Indian Ayurveda and you will find them in almost every home and if it is not so in your home, bring it home today and reap in the health benefits. These seeds are highly aromatic and flavorful and have lots of medicinal benefits. A drink prepared from this and consumed is believed to be pain relieving, digestive and also a coolant to beat the summer heat. The sharbat ie drink prepared with sauf is a traditional beverage of India especially in the northwestern part during summer season. It is very easy to prepare this drink and truly very energetic too when served chilled. The seeds are also added in many aromatic masalas and used extensively in cooking specially meat dishes, they impart a lovely taste when done so. I personally, roast it slightly on tava and grind it to a fine paste and store it for use in curries and other dishes too. I use the same powder for preparing the sharbat too. You can also just pop a few seeds into your mouth as a mouth fresher and for digestion after meals. This is a common practice in Indian homes and almost at every functions / marriages and celebrations the same is offered after lunch/dinner in different varieties sometime plain, sometimes with khadi shakkar and at times sugar coated.  For more information on saunf you can always search the web and you will get plenty of it there. 

** Coming to the addition of sugar part to the sharbat, I have added Khadi Shakkar ie large crystalline form of sugar which is also called as Mishri in Hindi, in Konkani we call it Khade Sakkara and it is also known as rock candy. Khadi Shakkar is known for its therapeutic benefits for centuries in Ayurveda, more so in case of cough and cold. Whenever you have and irritated throat or whooping caugh just put a piece of Khadi Shakkar and keep rolling it in your mouth and it is known to ease the same. In fact my mom always gave us to eat it when we have cough, cold or fever. She always kept it in stock at home and so do I. For convenience and easier usage I bring them and break them into small pieces, store some in a small bottle, while the remaining I run in mixer grinder to a powder and store it separately for using in sharbats. These are much more sweeter than the refined sugar and are believed to be good for health too. Indian Ayurveda not only mentions its usage in medicines but also encourages people to first try these remedies before taking stronger ones.  Without running into more details on sauf or khadi shakkar as I am sure all of you are aware of this herb, I am sharing the recipe of preparing the sharbat below. I will be sharing many more of such traditional sharbats and drinks this summer, so do make it a point to keep a keen watch on my blog. 


** Here is my simple method of preparing "Chilled Saunf~ Saffron~Sharbat / Badisep (Fennel Seeds)~ Kesar Coolant" ... My Style …. 

** For Preparing the Saunf/Fennel Powder : Slightly roast the saunf on medium heat for a few minutes, till they are slightly crisp, remove and keep it aside to slightly get cooled down. Now put it in a mixer grinder and grind to a fine powder. Remove and store it in an airtight container and use as and when necessary. 

** To Prepare the Saunf-Saffron-Sharbat : In a thick bottomed stainless steel vessel, add in 3 tblsp of saunf powder + ½ tsp of kesar + ½ tsp of cardamom powder. Add in 3 cups of boiling water and mix well. Bring all to a boiling point and then simmer for just 2-3 minutes and then remove and keep it aside covered for 4-5 hours or overnight. I left overnight. 

** Next morning drain off the shartbat through a fine sieve into a wide vessel. Add in Khadi shakkar crushed to powder to taste, 5-6 Ice cubes and mix well. Put it in the fridge for a few hours and served chilled or add in a few Ice cubes for serving cold. If you want to serve in an hour, put it in the freezer and remove within 40 minutes and then keep it in the fridge and it is ready all chilled. 

** Note : I have added about 4 tblsp of coarsely crushed and powdered khadi shakkar for 4 cups of sharbat, you may increase or decrease as per your choice. You can also add in just plain sugar too instead of khadi shakkar, but khadi shakkar is much more tastier and healthier than plain sugar. The choice is yours. 

** Note : Addition of “Lemon Juice” to the sharbat is exclusively upto individual, some add while some do not. I have not added as fennel in itself has such aromatic and pleasing taste that I did not want to disturb the same. Frankly for fennel juice I think you should forgo the addition of lime.

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of different types in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it or have a query, please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Do try out various types of dishes included in the Blog and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible.

** I am happy to inform you that I have also started a food group for by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" which is over and year old, with about 19K strong members. It is a pleasure to inform that you will find in the group many more recipes posted by our expert members and you too can share some of your own. The link to the group is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring" … Thank You …. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.