Friday, April 5, 2019

Chilled Ripe Jackfruit~Saffron Lassi.


"Chilled Ripe Jackfruit~Saffron Lassi" .... It's the time for Lassi ... गरमी और लस्सी नाहो .... ऐसा थो होही नहीं सकता ... here are chilled glasses of lassi to relish and beat the heat ... prepared from Ripe Jackfruit/Ponosu/Phanas/ Halasina Hannu with addition of saffron ... Jackilicious ..... Yummy Yumz ....  

** Lassi is a cool thick textured flavored drink prepared using thick full fat curds and it tastes awesome when relished during summer time when the heat is at its peak. Initially lassi was prepared just with a dash of added on flavor with some chat masala on top and it was really a great thirst quencher. With changing time, things have changed and people have started adding on fruits or certain veggies to lassi and even at times topped with ice creams. Innovative lassi is also a delight to eat on and really tasty. Oh, are you wondering why I wrote eat on ??? well the lassi we get now in Mumbai is so thick that you can never pull it with straw into your mouth, how much ever effort you put. Many a times I prefer bringing it packed home, adding on some chilled water and mixing the same to make it into the right lassi consistency. But that was years back, now things have changed so much that I prefer preparing them at home using fresh fruit puree as then I will know what exactly gets added on to the lassi without have to worrying about what starch source is added on to bring in the thickness. 

** Well it is the season of fresh ripe jackfruits and you get them really sweet and deep yellow in color too. It is a delight to munch on them just as it is too and then there are numerous dishes that can really be prepared out of the same, the list actually is endless. For today I prepared lassi as the Mumbai heat is really turning unbearable and when I come home from hot sun at times after attending some official work I am fully drained and need something tummy filling as well as a good thirst quencher. As I said before I have always curds stocked in my fridge at home as they come in handy in case of emergency. All you need to do is either cook some rice and add on and prepare dahi bhaat or add on some salad veggies and mix with some seasoning and I am all set to relish it for dinner. A huge bowl of the same and I am done. Well, do try out this Jackfruit lassi, I have added on some saffron to the same to get added color and flavor and left out addition of cardamom as somehow I do not like the fusion of ripe jackfruit and cardamom, I feel they clash than blend together. 


** Here is my simple recipe for "Chilled Ripe Jackfruit~Saffron Lassi" … My Style … 

** Soak a large pinch of saffron in 2 tblsp of warm milk and keep it ready aside. 

** Pick and clean about 15–18 large sized ripe jackfruit bulbs removing the seed within and retaining only the edible parts. Pick jackfruit that are very sweet for lassi as it gives a wonderful sweet aroma.

** Chop about 3- 4 ripe jackfruit pieces into small pieces and keep it aside for garnishing. 

** Chop the remaining ripe jackfruit into medium sized pieces and put it in a mixer grinder along with about ½ cup of sugar and grind to a very smooth paste. 

** Add in the soaked saffron along with the milk and further grind all for a minute or two. 

** Now add in 3 cups of thick fresh curds and further beat to a very smooth consistency. Pour it into a vessel and put it in the fridge for 2 hours to get chilled. 


** "Chilled Ripe Jackfruit~Saffron Lassi" is done and ready to be served. Pour the Jackfruit lass into glasses and top with the Jackfruit pieces kept aside for garnishing and serve it chilled with a spoon to relish the pieces. As I mentioned lassi is served very thick these days, in case you want to make it slightly thinner add in half a glass of chilled water and mix well and then serve the same. Tastes awesome. 

** Note : You can add in a large pinch of cardamom powder too to the lassi, if you like cardamom flavor.  Though I am extremely fond of cardamom flavor, I usually do not add it to jackfruit lassi as I find that Jackfruit itself is so aromatic that its flavor fills your home with a pleasing aroma. You may do so if you like. 

** Note : The curds used should be very thick in consistency and sweet in taste, do not use curds that are sour. If it is thinner in texture, sieve it a little bit and use the thin drained buttermilk else where. You can either purchase thick curds and prepare the same at home. Sharing below the method of preparing perfect curds at home. Do go through the link if you have no idea of setting curds.

** I am sharing a common link for “Lassi” recipes below, do try out various options and enjoy with your family and friends. 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of different types in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it or have a query, please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Do try out various types of dishes included in the Blog and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible.

** I am happy to inform you that I have also started a food group for by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" which is over and year old, with about 19K strong members. It is a pleasure to inform that you will find in the group many more recipes posted by our expert members and you too can share some of your own. The link to the group is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring" … Thank You …

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.