Sunday, March 24, 2019

Soundale (Butter Fish) Masala Curry.


"Soundale (Butter Fish) Masala Curry" ... I am on a fish binge, trying out some new fish curries and relishing them ... for today's lunch it is Soundale / butter fish which is close to lady fish known as kane or nogle kana (in konkani) in taste, which actually I started eating a few years back and simply loved it ... Yumz ....

** I am sure all my friends are wondering how come my Blog is now full of fish dishes frequently. I always missed eating fish as it was difficult to purchase the same in my vicinity and often had to go to the main market which ate into my precious time and I always felt lazy to do so. But yes, I often purchased them locally and the dishes were already posted so there was no point in adding on the same. I always stuck to those recipes that my Mom prepared as we Kokani followed a standard pattern when preparing fish dishes. Constantly being on blog and searching through food blogs, I came across many different recipes with fish from southern parts of India. As I have kept my mornings free for home now, I get time to cook proper dishes and try out new ones too. I just go through many recipes and then come to my own try outs keeping in mind my family taste and many of the dishes turned out delicious while some sadly did not too. This one is prepared using soundale/butter fish a fish variety that I started eating a few years back. It tastes similar to kane/lady fish or Nogle kana (in konkani) and is superb when tava or deep fried too. Giving below the recipe for the same, do try out and serve it with red boiled rice/ukde sheetHa if possible, it’s a great combo for sure. 

** Here is my recipe for "Soundale (Butter Fish) Masala Curry" … My Style … 

** Remove the scales, trim the fins, slice off the head portion and give a slit on the side near stomach and clean it out well, with plenty of water. Cut them into two or three pieces horizontally depending upon the size of the fish. I have used here only 3 fishes cutting them into two, say 6 pieces in all. Apply salt and lemon juice on the fish and rub it all over and keep it aside for 10 minutes and then once again wash and pat it dry. 

** For the Masala to be Ground : In a mixer grinder add in 1 cup of freshly grated coconut, 5-6 kashmiri red chillies or 1 tblsp of kashmiri red chilly powder, a small marble sized tamarind, ½ inch piece of ginger chopped into pieces, 3-4 garlic cloves also cut into pieces. Grind this to a very fine paste with little bit of water. Remove and keep it aside ready. 

** To Prepare the Curry : In a thick bottomed wide stainless steel vessel add in 3 tblsp of oil, when hot add in 2 finely chopped large sized onions and fry till it slightly changes color on medium heat, stirring often. Now add in 2 garlic also finely chopped and continue frying till both turn brown but not burnt. Lower the heat and add in 4-5 curry leaves and then add in 2 tblsp of sambar powder and stir for a minute. 

** Now add the finely ground masala and about ½ - 1 cup of water and mix well. The gravy should be neither too thick nor too thin in consistency. Add salt to taste and bring to boil on medium heat. Once it come to boil, lower the heat and simmer for two minutes and then add in the soundale fish pieces and cook on medium heat for 3-4 minutes and it is done. Remove, cover and keep it aside for 15 minutes for flavors to seep in before serving it. 


** "Soundale (Butter Fish) Masala Curry" is done and ready to be served. Serve it hot with red boiled rice / ukde sheetHa or any rice of your choice. Tastes best when served hot with rice along with other dishes for company. I had a few friends coming over so I had prepared it as one of the dishes in my thali, otherwise usually in my home we just have fish curry with rice and one single vegetable upkari/bhaji as that is what we love the best. 

** Do try out this curry and enjoy with your family and friends. If your children love fish, try this fish if you have not, it has a sweetish taste and tastes awesome and sure to be loved by them. You can also fry this frish on tava after marinating in spices and that tastes even tastier. I am sharing the link below here, so that you can check out on the fried soundale/butter fish recipe too. 

** Here is the link to the Recipe ….. 

** Note: The spice level I have kept for this curry is slightly higher as soundale/butter fish being slightly sweetish in taste a little bit more of added spice makes it tastier. You can increase or decrease depending upon your family choice. Again, addition of sambar powder gives awesome taste, I have started adding this into oil for best aroma for many dishes, do try it out. I have used store bought powder, you can use any available to you. 

** I am sharing below a common link to "Fish" dishes in my blog, they include both fried and curry dishes. Do go through the link and choose on various option of curries and enjoy them with your family and friends. In my home somehow we never like restaurant fish curries and always love those prepared at home, as we Konkani Saraswats hardly use garam masala powder in our dishes and we like it that way. Do try out recipes from our cuisine, you are sure to like them as they are much lighter on stomach. 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of different types in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it or have a query, please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Do try out various types of dishes included in the Blog and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible. 

** I am happy to inform you that I have also started a food group for by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" which is over and year old, with about 19K strong members. It is a pleasure to inform that you will find in the group many more recipes posted by our expert members and you too can share some of your own. The link to the group is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring" … Thank You ….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.