Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Palm sized Manji Ambat (Gashi)/Pomfret Curry.


"Palm sized Manji Ambat (Gashi)/Pomfret Curry" ... I had purchased these small sized pomfret/pamplet fish for tava frying so had even made the slits, but on second thoughts prepared curry as I was absolutely in no mood for fries ... So simple curry with rice is today's lunch ... That's it ... Yumz ...

** Simple fish curry today served with ukde sheetHa ie Red Boiled rice for lunch today. Fish curry is a dish my hubby loves to have with rice without any sides dishes, but then there are times when you have to prepare them as per others demand. I had purchased these small palm sized pomfrets (pamplet) / manji as we call in Konkani intending to tava fry them as small pomfrets fried who tastes awesome. But the last few days there was a little bit of too much cooking in my home and today I was really in no mood to cook more dishes. Preparing fries meant preparing a dish or too to get along with it and I had absolutely no time for it as I was already late. Though I had made in the slits on the pomfret when buying as I had every intention of frying them, I thought of forgoing that and decided on preparing ambat/gashi a simple curry seasoned with onions, that’s it. It tastes awesome and is a delight to relish with boiled rice. So without running into more details sharing my simple recipe below, do try it out, if you do not find small palm sized pomfret you can also use the large sized sliced into pieces. As I said best served with rice or any mildly spiced pulav.

** Here is the very simple recipe for "Palm sized Manji Ambat (Gashi)/Pomfret Curry" … My Style …. 

** Wash, remove the scales if any, trim the fins and slice off the head portion of the palm sized pomfret/manji. Clean the inner stomach portion and wash under plenty of water clean. I have used 6 very small palm sized pomfret here. You can use sliced pieces also if these are not available. Just apply salt all over the fish and keep it aside for 10-15 minutes and then once again clean them under clean water and keep it ready aside.

** For the Masala to be Ground : In a mixer grinder add in 1.5 cups of freshly grated coconut with 10-12 kashmiri Red chillies or 2-3 tblsp of kashmiri red chilly powder. Add in a small marble sized tamarind piece and grind to a very fine paste with about ¼ to ½ cup of water. Do not add in more water, but only that much how much is necessary. The masala should be very smooth.

** To prepare the Curry : Add in the ground masala into a wide mouthed stainless steel vessel and add in a little bit of water and mix well. Add salt to taste and bring to a boil, when it comes to boiling point, lower the heat and let simmer as you add in the cleaned and kept ready pomfret/manji. Fish cooks fast, say maximum 5-6 minutes, in case of whole manji and if pieces say about 4 minutes. Remove and keep it aside covered while you prepare the seasoning.

** For Seasoning/Tempering : In a small pan add in 2-3 tablespoon of oil, when hot add in one large sized onion finely chopped and fry till it evenly browned. Now pour it over the curry and kept ready aside and cover with tight lid and keep it aside for the flavors to seep in for say about 15-20 minutes. 


** "Palm sized Manji Ambat (Gashi)/Pomfret Curry" is done and ready to be served. Best when served with Ukde SheetHa (Red Boiled Rice) or any other plain rice. You can also serve a few side dishes like upkari (bhaji), salad etc. along with the curry and rice and it will be a complete meal that you can enjoy with your family and friends. I am sure they will love these small palm sized pomfret as they look very beautiful when served and have a nice sweetish taste too.

** Do try out various fish curries or other veggie dishes from my Blog and enjoy with your family and friends. And if at all you need any particular Amchi Konkani Saraswat curry that has not been blogged, you can leave a comment or mail to me. If I know the same, I will def. share the same soon enough and if not, I will try to find out the same through my friends and family and try out the same and share it in due time. Do leave a feedback on tried dishes please, it helps and encourages me to do more. Thank you. 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of different types in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it or have a query, please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Do try out various types of dishes included in the Blog and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible.

** I am happy to inform you that I have also started a food group for by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" which is over and year old, with about 19K strong members. It is a pleasure to inform that you will find in the group many more recipes posted by our expert members and you too can share some of your own. The link to the group is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring" … Thank You ….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.