Friday, March 15, 2019

Nanchane (Finger Millet) Shevai Usli With Steamed Banana and Ginger Tea.


"Nanchane Shevai Usli/Seasoned Finger Millet String Hoppers with Steamed Nendrabale Kele (Bananas) and Kadak Adraki Chai (Strong Ginger Tea)" ... This is simple combo bf famous in Konkani Saraswat Homes, very tasty and tummy filling one that leaves one completely satisfied ... Yummilicious ... 

** Once again this is a post on simple “Breakfast Combo” pattern followed by Konkani Saraswats in their homes. We Konkani’s love to have shevai usli panna ie seasoned string hoppers that have been sun dried. These are prepared during summer months when the heat level is at its peak by drying them in sunlight for a few days and then stored for year round use. I grew up seeing Mom do it and we children used to help her with it by putting it out for sun drying by spreading it on a cloth early mornings and then bringing it in by early evening. Our holidays were filled with such activities of preparing sun dried items like chilly papad, urad papad, Oodi (fryums), shevai etc. Then there were savories prepared like chakuli, tinglodu, tukdi, shenvo etc. along with sweets like kele halwo, churmundo etc. for all of us to munch on during holidays. There were many more activities of drying in sunlight and storing like red chillies, cashew nuts etc. 

** My aunts, uncles, cousins all dropped by for lunch or dinner or for just chatting up and Mom was famous for her hospitality of never ending delicacies. She can give me a run for my money even today in kitchen at the age of 86. I guess that generation was completely different, they were devoted to home making so much that they never gave thought for anything else much, if I can be even half as good as her, I will consider myself very lucky I must say. I have no facility of drying anything in sunlight as I live in a flat in Mumbai, where I hardly get it. So, I have no option but to buy them from Manglaore stores which is available all round the year. Well, life I guess has become easier for present generation as things are much better nowadays that what we went through, though I consider myself lucky too as we have seen so much of transformations in every field. 


** Coming to this Nachani Shevai, these are easily available in stores now and in Mumbai, we get them in Mangalore Stores almost round every station. As I said these have to be soaked for sometime for them to turn soft and the method of the same is explained in the recipe posted before, to which I will be sharing a link below. Same is the case with steamed nendrabale kele (banana) and Chai (Tea). Just go through the links given below and you will find them completely explained. Do try them out if you have access to the same as the given combo is a very healthy one that our ancestors followed for decades without any hitches. Do try out other dishes in the blogs to and give me a feedback if possible or leave in a comment. You can also put forward your query which I will try my best to attend to. 

** For the "Steamed Nendrabale Kele (Banana)" Recipe, Please follow the link given below … 

** For the “Nachani Shevai Usli” Recipe, Please follow the link given below …. 

** For preparation of “Kadak Adraki Chai/Strong Ginger Tea” Recipe, Please follow the link given below … 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of different types in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it or have a query, please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Do try out various types of dishes included in the Blog and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible. 

** I am happy to inform you that I have also started a food group for by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" which is over and year old, with about 19K strong members. It is a pleasure to inform that you will find in the group many more recipes posted by our expert members and you too can share some of your own. The link to the group is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring" … Thank You ….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.