Saturday, February 23, 2019

Surna Upkari (Elephant Yam Bhaji/Fry).


"Surna Upkari (Elephant Yam Bhaji/Fry)" served with Multigrain Flour Poori ... A tasty-delicious-simple dish prepared with addition of spicy masala … goes great as a side dish with dal-chawal or poori/chapatti/roti …. Yumz …. 

** I am always on the look out for new recipes to be tried out and relished. Giving them a twist or preparing the same using different veggies is a passion with me. The more we cook, the more we enjoy doing it I guess. Suran / Elephant yam is a all season tuber type of veggie that is available all round the world. Our Konkani Saraswat Cuisine has a lot of recipes including this tuber and we love adding it along with pluses/grams etc. while preparing curry too. Upkari or Talasani is a simple stir fry sort of a side dish served extensively in our community almost on daily basis in every home. We make different types of upkaries that are very healthy as they contain only minimum oil for seasoning and in which the vegetable is then cooked. This side dish is almost a must as an accompaniment with other dishes in the Thali and we love it even in simple manner when served with just Dalitoy and Rice. Here is another bhaji or upkari with the addition of spices coarsely ground and added to the suran that tastes simply awesome and goes well as a side dish. 

** The recipe credit goes to my friend Vidya Shenoy who had posted this a few weeks back in my food group “Konkani Delicacies”. I have been wanting to try it out from the very day I saw this bhaji as I was sure that it would be tasty and go well as a side dish. But somehow with back to back other schedules I just could not come round to preparing the same, though I had told Vidya that I would prepare it in a few days. This happens most of the time with me and I really feel helpless on the situation, there are so many recipes I need to give feed back to my friends on which are on my to do list, and time just flies by, Well I am really glad I got to try this dish out, I served it as a side dish with poori, onion rasam and rice and it was simply awesome. I have not made any changes in the recipe or given it a twist as I wanted to try it out as it is. The recipe remains the same as of Vidya’s which I am sharing below, do try it out and enjoy as a side dish along with other dishes. 


** Here is Vidya's recipe of "Surna Upkari (Elephant Yam Bhaji/Fry)" ... The recipe remains same and I have not made in any changes .... Thanks a lot Vidya we loved the bhaji very much.

** Slice off the outer muddy portion of the suran/yam and cut them into medium sized pieces. Wash them well under running water and drain off all excess water. I used about 2 full cups of the suran pieces for this recipe. 

** In a thick bottomed vessel/pan, bring two cups of water to boiling point. Add in one lemon sized ball of tamarind, a large pinch of haldi powder/turmeric and some salt into the water and let it mix well. Now add in the suran pieces and bring to a boil, then lower the heat and cook till it is 80% cooked. 

** The cooking time differs by the quality of the suran/yam, some take a mere 5 minutes, while some do take in more. If the suran available in your vicinity takes lots of time in cooking you can also pressure cook it to one whistle, allow to cool and then use the same. 

** But see to it that the suran does not get over cooked or mushy. Once the suran/yam is cooked to about 80% remove and drain off all the excess water remained in cooking process and keep it aside in a colander ready. 

** In a small kadai/pan dry roast about 2 tsp cumin seeds / jeera along with a handful of garlic cloves, say about 8-10 for a few minutes. Let cool a bit and then put it in a mixer grinder and grind it to a coarse powder without adding water. Remove and keep it aside ready. 

** In a thick bottomed kadai heat about 1-2 tblps of oil, when hot add in a handful (10-12) of fresh curry leaves / kadipatta / karbevu and fry for a few seconds. Now lower the heat and add in the cooked and drained suran pieces and mix well. 

** Add in about 2-3 tsp of sambar powder and salt to taste and mix well. Be careful with the addition of salt as we have already added some while cooking the suran. Let cook for a few minutes and then add in the coarsely ground jeera-garlic mixture and mix all well. Cover and cook for a few more minutes and it is done. 

** "Surna Upkari (Elephant Yam Bhaji/Fry)" is done and ready to be served. I served it with Multigrain Flour Poori, onion rasam and rice. It was a tasty and wonderful meal, do try out this simple recipe of suran and enjoy with your family and friends. You can take it in your lunch box too along with some roti/chapati.

** There are many types of "Poori" posted in already in my Blog. I am sharing a common link below through with you can get them all in a row, do go through the link and choose that poori recipe which you would like to try out. The multigrain poori recipe that I have served this bhaji with is also included in the list, if would love to try it. Do try out various options and enjoy with your family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.