Friday, February 8, 2019

Onion Pakodas (Bajia/ Fries) dunked in Brined Amla (Avalo/ Gooseberry/ Nellikai) Kadhi.


"Onion Pakodas (Bajia/ Fries) dunked in Brined Amla (Avalo/ Gooseberry/ Nellikai) Kadhi" served with Methi Pulav with crushed Spices ... Kadhi prepared with besan and curds are a favorite in my home and adding on bajias is hubby's favorite so it is sort or combo dish that both of us love to relish be it with spiced moong dal- khichdi or mildly spiced pulavs/ Rice dishes ... tastes simply awesome ....

** I think I have already written reams about my love for “Besan Kadhi” with addition of any veggies or pakodas at home or as it is too. I learnt to prepare this dish after my marriage and settling in Mumbai.  In my parents’ home it was never prepared and I don’t think any of my Aunt’s or relatives prepared the same too. Initially when I was asked to prepare this I was a bit reluctant rather skeptical about it when I read the recipe. I mean I had heard of besan/ chane peetHa, only in pakoda’s ie bajos for amchies here and off course in preparing other savories, never ever to make it a gravy with. 

** Well, I asked many of my Maharashtrian neighbors and they all confirmed that it was the most awesome dish when served with moong dal- rice spiced khichidi another dish which I learned only after marriage. They also suggested I could add in veggies or pakodas/ bajias dunked into them just before serving it. Ok, now I was intrigued and I knew I had to try this out and I did and there was simply no looking back after that, I have prepared them with so many combos thereafter that I have myself lost count. I have even prepared them with boiled eggs etc. and they tasted really good.

** Kadhi is very easy to prepare and can be done so in a jiffy, all you need is some good thick curds/ dahi and besan/ bengal gram flour which is available almost in every house on daily basis. It is considered rich in vitamins, minerals, protein and calcium as it is prepared with curds. It is said to remove fatigue with the perfect combo of protein and Iron. Very good for digestion as it contains good bacteria which is good for the gut. And above all it is very good for maintaining healthy weight as it is almost fat free if cooked without much of oil. So go ahead and enjoy this kadhi in any way you desire. 

** I have written in detail before on Besan kadhi, so just use search option for more variations of the same. This Kadhi has a slight variation with addition of brined Amla/ Avalo /Gooseberry (preserved in salt water or your can also say pickled). The credit for the kadhi recipe goes to my friend Vanitha Bhat who has a Blog of her own  “CurryandVanilla.Com”; where in there are lovely dishes which you can look up on. However, I have made minute changes and also added on “Onion Pakodas/ Bajo/ Bajia” by dunking them into the Kadhi a few minutes prior to serving, the way we love to savor it in my home.

** The Kadhi tastes awesome with spiced with green chillies and tangy with addition of curds too. I served it with "Methi Pulav with crushed spices" and it was a lovely combo meal. You can serve it with steamed rice or any mildly spices rices dishes too. Do try out this combo and enjoy with your family and friends, I am sure they will love it. Remember to serve it piping hot during winter as it tastes best when done so and do remember to add those pakoda/ bajia just 15 minutes before serving for best results.  

** Here is my recipe for "Onion Pakodas (Bajia/Fries) dunked in Brined Amla (Avalo/ Gooseberry/ Nellikai) Kadhi" …. My Style …

** Ingredients :
Curds/ Yogurt/ Dahi : 2 cups (Thick curds)
Brined (pickled) Amla/ Avalo/ Gooseberry/ Nellikai : 5-6 large sized.
Besan/ Bengal gram (chick peas) flour : 2-3 tblsp
Haldi/ Turmeric Powder : ½ tsp
Ginger/ Alle’/ Adrak : ½ inch piece
Green Chilly/ Tarni Mirsanga/ Hari Mirchi : 5-6 less spicy ones or as per individual taste.
Salt/ Namak/ Meeta :  to taste
Water as needed

** For Tempering/ Seasoning/ Tadka/ Pannaka :
Coconut Oil/ Nariyal Tel/ Narlel Tel : 1 tblsp
Dried Red Chillies : 2-3 cut into pieces or small round shaped ones.
Jeera/ Cumin Seeds : ½ tsp
Mustard Seeds/ Rai/ Sasam : ½ tsp
Methi/ Fenugreek Seeds : 8-10 seeds.
Hing/ Asafoetida Powder : ½ tsp
Haldi/ Turmeric Powder : a pinch


** I have used Brined Amla/ Avalo/ Gooseberry/ Nellikai in preparation of this Kadhi. If you want the method of brining amla, please check link shared at the bottom of this recipe, it can be easily done at home when amla is in season.

** Using of Amla/Avalo/Gooseberry/Nellikai in the curry : If using brined amla put them in plenty of water for a few hours and then use the same, this way the excess salt content in them gets reduced. If using fresh amla, wash them, put them in a pressure cooker with about a cup of water and pressure cook to 2 whistles, allow to cool, remove, and use them discarding the seed within. If using microwave to cook the amlas, slice of the sides of all the amlas, put them all in a glassware bowl and microwave on high for 3 minutes and they are done. Discard the seed within and use.

** De-seed brined amlas and discard inner seed. Coarsely mash amla and put it in a mixer grinder along with ginger, green chillies and grind it to a very smooth paste with about half a cup of water. You can use the amla cooked water here for grinding, which is what I did. Now add haldi powder, curds and run the mixer for another minute to make all together to a smooth mixture without any lumps. 

** Remove and sieve through a fine sieve into a thick bottomed vessel. Add water to bring to a thick consistency, say about 1.5 to 2 cups and mix well. Cook the kadhi on medium heat stirring often to avoid the kadhi getting stuck to the bottom. Add salt to taste, mix well and cook till you see bubbles appearing on top. Now remove from flame and keep it aside covered while we go about preparing the tempering.  

** Note : Do not increase the heat to high while cooking kadhi, unless you are used to preparing it, the reason being that high heat at times curdles the curd which is mess up the kadhi and turn it distasteful. Also Do not add excess water or the kadhi may become too thin in texture, you can always add some hot water while serving if the curry is too thick as addition of besan always thickens curry.

** For Tempering/ Seasoning/ Tadka/ Pannaka : Heat coconut oil in a small pan, when hot add mustard seeds, when they begin to splutter, lower the heat and add jeera, hing, methi seeds and small round red chillies. Stir fry for a few seconds and then pour it over the kadhi kept on heat and mix well. You can use any oil of your choice too though I have used coconut oil as it turns the kadhi very aromatic,

** Note : You can add in a pinch of sugar to the kadhi once done, if desired as per the original recipe. North Indian Kadhi is prepared with or without sugar while in Maharashtrian Kadhi they do add in a pinch of sugar. I have not, as sugar in curry dishes is something we do not much in my home. If you are not fond of sweetish tinged dishes, avoid it, tastes great without it, I love it without sugar and luckily so does my hubby.

** Addition of Onion Pakodas / Bajo / Bajias to the Kadhi : Kadhi can be served as it is or with pakodas dunked in them. I love them either way, but hubby loves it when pakodas are dunked in them, so I prepare a few onion pakodas and put them just 10 minutes into the steaming hot kadhi just before serving with pulav/ khichidi or any other dish. They get just enough soaked while doing so. If you want to add in the same do so as mentioned and please do not add them and boil the kadhi, they will turn soggy and inedible in taste. The pakodas should remain crisp yet dunked well. 

** Note : I have not included the recipe of Onion Pakodas/ Bajias/ Bajo/ Fries here as it is a common dish prepared almost in every home following their own recipe.  You can prepare them as you like or if need be I have added on the link to my recipe at the bottom of this recipe below.  Please go through the link for the same.


** "Onion Pakodas (Bajia/Fries) dunked in Brined Amla (Avalo/ Gooseberry/ Nellikai) Kadhi" is done and ready to be served. Always serve them steaming hot with the pakodas dunked into the kadhi just 10 minutes before serving time. You can serve this kadhi with any mildly spiced pulav or even rice, but for me it tastes best with moong dal- rice khichidi, though this time I served it with "Methi pulav with crushed spices" and it tasted awesome and it was indeed a superb combo, do try it. 

** For the "Methi (Fenugreek) Pulav with crushed Spices (Garam Masala)" Recipe, You can follow the link given below, this is a delicious healthy pulav prepared using fresh methi/ fenugreek leaves that are seasonal during winter ….

** For the “Onion Pakoda” Recipe, Please follow the link given below …

** For more “Kadhi” Recipes, you can check the common link given below and choose and type of Kadhi you desire to prepare by following the link there.

** You can also check up on a similar combo meal pattern of “Pakoda Kadhi with Nimboo Baath”  following the link given below ....

** Note : You can use fresh amla for this recipe, by pressure cooking them and then following the recipe as given above or you can use brined amla ie amla cured in salt water as I have done. In my home I always brine Amla/Gooseberry when plenty in season and you can use this year round as and when you want.

** For Method of “Brined Amla/Gooseberry” Recipe, You can follow link given below …

** Note : You can use fresh Curds or Store bought Curds/ Yogurt/ Dahi for this recipe. I have used fresh homemade curds here ad in my home I always prepared plenty of curds and store them in my fridge which lasts me for a day or to. It is always handy to have curds at home in case of emergencies. Sharing the link of preparing curds at home below too if you are a novice to the same ....

** For Method of “Perfect Curds” Recipe, You can follow the link given below …

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.