Sunday, February 17, 2019

Curd Rice with Carrots~Peanuts / Dahi Bhaat with Gajar~Shengdana.


“Curd Rice with Carrots~Peanuts / Dahi Bhaat with Gajar~Shengdana” served with Kamabala Nonche / Star Fruit (Carambola) Pickle … Winter is slowly making way for summer though hesistantly, in Mumbai its warmer during day and slight chill during nights … So had a simple lunch … Yummilicious … 

** Simple curd rice is a heavenly food to have anytime of the year though it is avoided during cold winters and monsoon. Though curd rice can actually be relished all through the year it is avoided for the reason being that when there is chill in the air it is best to consume hot food. Addition of curds is very important to your staple diet for its immense health properties. Curds are extremely good for digestion and any stomach issues or when stomach is upset due to any reason. Buttermilk prepared from curds has been a must in Konkani Saraswat homes for centuries now. The lunch is always ended with either curd rice or with a buttermilk drink and it has been so always in my Mom’s place. My mother used to make us sit early morning before going to school to churn the butter everyday in rotation as we were many siblings, and work was always divided and we followed without fuss. 

** The butter was then separated and the left buttermilk was always served to all after lunch. Curds comparatively were prepared lesser times as and when needed specially to prepare raita or curd Idlies. My mother was not a stern women but we fear her scoldings, when we did not eat or drink properly, be it milk or buttermilk or any cooked food, we had them quietly without a murmur. She was always working round the clock in the kitchen as ours was a large family and do not remember a single day when food was not laid on table on right time. We never went hungry at any time as there was always something or the other ready to munch on. This was the case so in all my aunt’s home too, for whenever we visited them with Mom we were always given something filling to eat. They were great ladies and if we can even be 10% of what they were, I will consider myself lucky. 


** I must admit, being the youngest I enjoyed the liberties of getting away with lots of issues. I was always given less work when I was small and Dad always brought loads of toffees for me and I literally lived on them. But Mom saw strict about food and saw to it that I ate my food while all other matters she never raised her voice for. When in college I had to leave early and could not eat the heavy bf which is the case with me even today, it made me uneasy on stomach if I ate anything before 8 am. So she started preparing a glass full of thick curds for me without fail everyday separately so that I could have it and just move on. A glass full of thick fat free curds has been my bf for almost 4 years during my college life and that is how I guess my liking for curds and curd dishes has stuck on to me to date. I love any dishes prepared using them, be it raita, curd rice, Idly dunked in curd etc. etc. etc. 

** I have already included the recipe for "Curd Rice / Dahi Bhaat" before here in the Blog. The recipe remains the same except for the inclusion of fresh grated carrots. Try it tastes great. The link for the curd rice is given below without repeating it again, please do go through the link for the same 

** I served the "Curd Rice with Carrots~Peanuts / Dahi Bhaat with Gajar~Shengdana" as it is with "Spicy Karmbala Nonche / Starfruit (Carambola) Pickle" and it tasted simply awesome. Seasoned curds always tastes best when served simple as it is or with some pickle to add on a tickle to the taste buds. You can use the search option for the pickle if you want to try out the same, it is posted just before this one.

** Note : I always use fresh home made curds for all my dishes, I have included a article on making of "Setting of Perfect Curds" for which I am sharing the link below, You can try out the same if you want to start making curds at home, which is much more hygienic and without any preservatives ...

** There are many more “Rice” recipes both Vegetarian and Non-Vegetarian in my Blog please use the search or label option for the same and do try out the delicious recipes and enjoy with your family and friends. I am also sharing a common link below for the same, you can select the same too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.