Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Crisp Gajar Chips / Carrot Wafers.


"Hot Chips ... Crisp Gajar Chips / Carrot Wafers" ... seeing large sized carrots just thought why not try making chips ... so tried this for the first time just like how we prepare banana chips, it tastes lovely but I will need more practice for sure ... Gajar / Carrots never tasted better than these ... Yummilicious ... 

** Wafers / Chips are crispy thin layers snacks that is loved by almost everyone all round the world. A few days back I had posted Nendrabale Kele (Kerala Banana) Chips (Wafers) which is a world famous snack / chips and almost all Indians are aware of it. As we relished the wafers which got emptied within 2 days I was wondering what else I could prepare using the Oil I had taken for deep frying of the chips. Though it is said that the oil should not be re-used I must admit, I make back to back 3 types of snacks with the oil and then dispose the same off. The amount of oil is almost a liter and I do not want to waste it. So usually within a day or two I finish it off making threes snacks. The thought was ringing in my mind, when my eyes fell on the thick sized carrots in the market. Why not try wafers with these carrot I thought, after all they were tuber variety and we made chips out of other tuber verities. 

** The carrots were at least 2 inches in dia and I felt if I give a slant slice, it would be slightly lengthier. So I purchased about half a kilo, as I was not sure how it would turn out and went home hurriedly, so that I could start doing it right away as it was only 10 AM and I had at least an hour or so before I needed to go to the office. Yes, these are the perks I guess of having ones own business, I really have flexible timings. For the wafers, I have followed the same method as that of the raw bananas I posted a few days back without making any changes. They tasted awesome, though some remained slightly softer while many were crisp. The crisp ones turn brownish in color but taste great, but you got to be careful and remove it when done or if they turn darker they will sort of taste bitter. In all I must say a very tasty and delicious wafers to munch on and I am more than satisfied with the outcome. 


** Here is the Method of preparing "Hot Chips ... Crisp Gajar Chips / Carrot Wafers" … My Style  My way … 

** In a small bowl add in 1 cup of water with 2 tsp of salt and mix well. Keep this ready aside. This is to be added into the oil when the chips are half done. The procedure adds in salt to the wafers and also gives the wafers/chips that added crispiness. Prepare the salt water and keep it ready aside. 

** Preparing the Gajar Chips / Carrot Wafers : Wash the carrots well and wipe them dry. Now peel off the outer skin with a vegetable / potato peeler and keep them ready. 

** Keep a thick bottomed kadai with plenty of oil for deep frying on heat as you begin to slice the carrots on a wafer slicers machine / chips maker. 

** Hold the carrots slightly angular and make thin slices of the same on a plate. I have not made the slices directly into the hot oil here, as I was making carrot wafers for the first time and did not want any mishaps. 

** Check the oil, if it has to come to a smoking point, then lower the heat to medium and wait for 2-3 minutes. Now add in the sliced carrots a few at a time taking care to see that you don’t drop it all in one go in force lest the hot oil burst up. 


** Add in only that much how much will cover a thick layer on top of the kadai. Do not overcrowd the kadai there should be enough space for the wafers to get cooked and keep the heat high now and maintain the same throughout frying of chips. 

** Once the sizzling sound of cooking the chips lessens add in 2-3 tblsp of the prepared salt water gently into the oil, taking care to stay a little bit far lest the bubbles erupt on your hand. The sizzling of the salt water stops in a few minutes and that is the indication that the wafers are done. It will have turned slightly reddish brown. 

** You can remove a few chips and put it on the absorbent paper, allow to cool and then check by trying to snap it with two fingers. This way you get to know if they are crisp, the other better way is always to eat a few and check for the same which I do. 

** Now with the help of a slotted/ringed spatula remove the wafers from the oil holding it for a few second above the oil, for excess oil to get drained into the kadai. Put them in a tray with has been lined with an absorbent paper. Proceed with the remaining sliced carrots in similar method and prepare the wafers / chips till all are done. 


** "Hot Chips ... Crisp Gajar Chips / Carrot Wafers" are done and ready to be served. You can serve them fresh as a snack during tiffin time with some hot tea/coffe/soup and relish the same. Once it has cooled, put it in an airtight container and store in a dry place. 

** I have no idea of the shelf life of this particular wafers/chips as I had prepared little a trial and it was over within a day. But I am sure like other wafers they will remain good for at least 2 weeks if not three. 

** There are many more varieties of wafers / chips that can be prepared with different types of veggies and I will be including them too soon enough. Till then do try these carrot chips and surprise your guest by serving them something new. 

** It’s winter season now which is coming to an end almost, so try them out now and relish/serve with some hot soup. You can use the search option or go via the label section for wafer / chips and try out some of the other chips posted before in the blog. 

** Do try out various dishes from the blog and if you like them please do leave in a comment and if you have any doubts too you can do the same, I will try to get back to your as soon as possible.

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of different types in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it or have a query, please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Do try out various types of dishes included in the Blog and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible. 

** I am happy to inform you that I have also started a food group for by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" which is over and year old, with about 19K strong members. It is a pleasure to inform that you will find in the group many more recipes posted by our expert members and you too can share some of your own. The link to the group is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring" … Thank You ….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.