Thursday, February 21, 2019

Avanasache Loshne' Gooli/Pineapple~Garlic Chutney.


"Avanasache Loshne' Gooli/Pineapple~Garlic Chutney" ... Plenty of fresh pineapples are available in the market ... I ran out of our regular pineapple / avanasa / ananas konkani dishes ... experimented on my favorite loshne' (lehsun/garlic) gooli today; but with pineapple ... too good ... Yummilicious ..... 

** Loshne’ Gooli / Garlic Ball Chutney is a coarsely ground dry chutney prepared in most GSB / Konkani Saraswat houses using plenty of only garlic or with brined items or any other tart veggie can be added to the same in place of the tamarind used for the chutney too. The chutney is called gooli meaning a ball coz. the coarsely ground chutney can be rolled into a round ball consistency without cracking up. I think it is also called chamatti in some southern parts of India, at least that is what my friends refer to. This chutney is very spicy and tastes awesome with garlic aroma that is definitely a tongue teaser for those who love garlic. The same can be prepared out of hing/asafoetida too for those who do not like garlic or want to avoid the same. However, the ones with garlic is the most sought after gooli/chutney and it has a delicious aroma of its own beside the fact that it is very good for health. The chutney can also be served with Idly, chapati, roti, dal-chawal but it tastes best with peja ie. plain rice porridge / kanji or as a side dish with any other dishes to tickle the taste buds, sort of chat pata dish to enhance lost taste in tongue too if unwell or down with fever or recovering from cold so on. When the weather is bad and one feels cold and weak or even if you have a stomach upset, this chutney is prepared and served with steaming hot rice porridge. We children used to relish this during our holidays at mid morning break with peja/rice porridge. You see children are always hungry as they play about a lot during holidays and we too were no different. We helped mom in preparing the sun dried items and a lot of other things and played with outdoors with our friends too, so the mid break pejje jevan / rice porridge lunch was a welcome break.

** By now I am sure all of you know that I love making my own concoctions and mix and match of dishes, innovating new dishes. Some turn out good, some very good, some are outstanding while some are so-so and yes I will not to hesitate to say some are best not mentioned. But that should not stop you from trying, for me failures of dishes have always been the stepping stones to something much better and I have come out giving another twist to it learning from the first failure. I really love experiments in my kitchen and many a times I just go about doing them blindly without even thinking, just with my own instincts. I had two huge medium ripe pineapples that were already sliced and brought home from my fruit vendor and though they would remain good for 2-3 days in the fridge, I wanted to finish them off soon. Ate some fresh slices and drank some juice, but there still remained a huge chunk. Gooli is something I always prepare and keep as side dish during winter or monsoon as we love having it at times with peja/rice porridge. I was about to prepare the same with addition of amlas when I just thought why not do so with pineapples. Well, this is the first time I am preparing a fruit based gooli, well frankly I have not come across anybody who have done so too. Well rest is history and its before you, it was simply mind blowing and now my mind is ticking what else can be prepared in the same way. Do try this out and enjoy with your family and friends, specially if you all love the aroma of garlic like me, who knows you may discover a new dish too.

** Here is my method of preparing "Avanasache Loshney Gooli/Pineapple~Garlic Chutney" … My Style … 

** Ingredients : 
Fresh Pineapple /Avanasa / Ananas : 2-3 cups of edible pieces. 
Kashmiri Red Chilly : 8-10 (+/- depending upon individual taste) 
OR 
Kashmiri Red Chilly Powder : 2 tblsp 
Garlic / Losun / Lehsun : 18-20 large sized peeled and chopped. 
Coconut / Nariyal / Soyi : 2 heaped cups freshly grated. 
Coconut Oil : 2 tablespoon. 
Salt to taste. 


** Heat about 1-2 tblsp coconut oil (you can use any oil but coconut oil tastes best) in a kadai. Add in the garlic pieces and fry a little bit until the colour changes slightly. Now add in the Kashmiri Red chillies if adding chillies cut into pieces and further fry for a few seconds, then add about 2 heaped cups of freshly grated coconut and continue to fry for about 3-4 minutes. The coconut should not be browned, but just heated. If using chilly powder, then add it fry for a second and immediately add the coconut, do not fry the powder or it will not give a good color. 

** Note : You can leave out the step of frying step of above for all ingredients and continue by just grinding the chutney adding in ingredients as it is too. The traditional recipe actually does not heat the ingredients at all, this is my own way of preparing the gooli, I just do it to prevent the chutney going sour / spoilt when stored in fridge for 2-3 days. You may follow any method suitable to you. You can also put the chutney in the freezer to prevent it running rancid, but it does not taste very fresh then. 

** Add all the fried ingredients into the mixer grinder and add in the pineapple pieces to the same along with salt to taste and grind to a coarse texture. All ingredients should have well been ground and please do not add in any water, the water content in the pineapple is sufficient for the coconut to bring to gooli texture. If you find it running thinner, increase the amount of coconut to bring to ball consistency. Remove into an air tight container and immediately store it in the fridge and use when and as required. 

** "Avanasache Loshney Gooli/Pineapple~Garlic Chutney" is done and ready to be served. Serve this as a side dish with any dishes of your choice, though the best would be with rice or peja / rice porridge as it taste best with it. I served it as a side dish with kolumbo and beetroot bhaji along with some papad for my thali lunch and it tasted simple awesome. Tomorrow I will be serving it with rice porridge and will be relishing it hot with a dash of ghee, yumz. 

** There are many more recipes in my blog for different combinations of "Gooli / Chutney", to which I am sharing a common link below, please go through the link below and try them out and relish them with your family and friends with hot rice porridge, it is life saver when you feel unwell and not unto eating anything, our ancestors always made us eat this and I am sure they knew better than us. 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of different types in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it or have a query, please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Do try out various types of dishes included in the Blog and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible.

** I am happy to inform you that I have also started a food group for by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" which is over and year old, with about 19K strong members. It is a pleasure to inform that you will find in the group many more recipes posted by our expert members and you too can share some of your own. The link to the group is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring" … Thank You …. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.