Monday, January 28, 2019

Urad Dal-White+Boiled Rice Thick Dosa (Udidu Ukdo-Surai Tandla Doddak)..


"Udidu-Surai+Ukade Tandala khakari dodhaka/ Urad Dal-White+Boiled Rice Thick Dosa" served with Pickled Pineapple, Coconut-Ginger Chutney and Strong Ginger Tea (Kadak Adraki Chai) ... Delicious-Tasty-Dosa that tastes awesome with any spicy chutney … Yummilicious …... 

** A delicious dosa when served for breakfast makes the day of many south Indians who like to have healthy and tummy filling dishes in the morning before rushing to work. The case is no different in my home as though my office and home are in the same area say 2-3 minutes distance we love to have a good bf as my lunch is always late in the noon and it does keeps us going. Many a times I am in such a hurry that I don’t even get the time to click a picture of the breakfast dishes as my house cleaner too comes early and I have to finish my lunch preparation preferably before she comes. When my friend Geetha posted this dosa, then and there I told her that I would definitely try this one out as it differed from the ones I prepared. Geetha has added in freshly grated coconut to the batter before removing dosa which I do not do and there were minute changes in the proportion of batter too. Somehow it did take me a few days to try out the dosa which is anyhow always the case with me now a days. As I mentioned before I have saved so many posts of my dear friends which I want to give a try to, but somehow before I can think of the same, a few more get added. There is so much to learn, cook, relish and enjoy in life that I find time speeding up faster than my cooking. Also again I have to admit that cooking if done too, blogging is something again lagging behind. My draft files are also being piled up as again due to time constraint I am not able to post them in time. 

** But, yes, I am enjoying this phase very much with lovely friends obliging and sharing their awesome dishes in the group and thereby helping in building a strong food group for generations to look up too. The group was started with the intention of bringing out Konkani Saraswat Cuisine into limelight, which was lacking very much of promotion. If my group members are being able to do justice in spreading this knowledge worldwide, we will consider the work to be in progress and will continue contributing in a better way. Hope to do much more, but with busy schedule and hectic lifestyle we all find it difficult at times to go out of our way and contribute into the group. I appeal to all here in my Blog to join my food group “Konkani Delicacies” and help us raise the standard of the group with good food postings of food that are not only healthy but nutritious too and that which can be cooked and relished in homes. Dosas are definitely a snack loved by all in every home and one must try to include them in your diet at least once a week during weekends when you have free time. Children should eat healthy food as they grow, remember they are tomorrows nation builders and we owe it to them to make them stronger as they grow to become responsible citizens. Children are fussy but a little bit of interesting presentation or variations make them that much more interesting to them to enjoy the food. 

** The credit for this recipe goes to Geetha Prabhu who has a lovely food Blog of her own by the name Geetha’s Rasoi, where she has lots of lovely dishes. Thanks dear, we loved this dosa very much. I have not made in any changes and the recipe stands as it is. 

** Here is the recipe for "Udidu-Surai+Ukade Tandala khakari dodhaka/ Urad Dal-White+Boiled Rice Thick Dosa" .... 

** Ingredients : 
Urad Dal / Black Gram Dal / Udida Dali : ½ cup 
White Boiled rice / Ukdo Tandulu / Kuchalakki / Matta Rice : 1 cup 
White rice / Surti Kollam Rice : 1 cup 
Freshly Grated Coconut / Soyi : 2 tbsp 
Salt to taste 
Oil+Ghee in 1:1 portion for removing dosa. 


** Wash well and soak boiled rice, white rice and urad dal together in plenty of water for at least 4-5 hours. Wash it again and drain off all excess water by putting it in a colander. 

** Put the ingredients into a grinder and grind to a coarse semi thick batter. Sort of fine rava consistency, also do not add in much water and remember to keep the batter slightly thicker than normal dosa. Cover and keep it overnight of for 8 hours for fermentation. 

** After fermenting the batter or the next day add in salt to taste and the grated coconut and mix well. Check the consistency and add in water if necessary if you find the batter too thick. 

** Heat the iron or non stick/Teflon coated dosa tawa to heating point. Lightly brush in the oil+ghee mixture and evenly rub it over the tava with a tissue paper so that the dosa is slightly greased only. 

** Now decrease the heat level to minimum and with a help of rounded spatula add in about half a cup of batter in the center of the tava and spread evenly into a thick round shaped dosa. 

** Do not make the dosa thin, keep it thicker in texture than that of masala dosa etc. Increase the heat to medium and let cook. Sprinkle some drop of ghee+oil mixture on the rim of the dosa and on top too. 

** Once the bottom side of the dosa is cooked, loosen it with the flat dosa spatula and flip to over to cook on the top side too. This dosa is cooked on both sides. Once on top side too, remove and serve it immediately. Continue in similar pattern the remaining amount of dosas required. 

** "Udidu-Surai+Ukade Tandala khakari dodhaka/ Urad Dal-White+Boiled Rice Thick Dosa" is done and ready to be served. I served it with Pickled Pineapple, Coconut-Ginger Chutney and Strong Ginger Tea (Kadak Adraki Chai) for breakfast. You can serve with any chutney of your choice. Do try out this awesome dosa with chutney and enjoy with your family and friends. 

** Note : You can remove the dosa with either just oil or ghee as per your desire or as you always do in your home. My Mother used to always prepare and keep ghee+oil in the ratio of 1:1 in a bowl for exclusive use of dosa only. I have no idea why she did it, but the dosa does turn out good and tasty and I have simply followed that method.  You may choose any method you like. 

** For the “Coconut-Ginger Chutney” Recipe, Please follow the link given below, also attached below is a common link for “Chutney” wherein you will find many variations that you can try and relish with the dosa …. 

** For the “Pickled Pineapple” Recipe, Please follow the link given below … 

** For the "Strong Ginger Tea/Kadak Adraki Chai" Recipe, Please follow the link given below ....

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of different types in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it or have a query, please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Do try out various types of dishes included in the Blog and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible.

** I am happy to inform you that I have also started a food group for by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" which is over and year old, with about 19K strong members. It is a pleasure to inform that you will find in the group many more recipes posted by our expert members and you too can share some of your own. The link to the group is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring" … Thank You ….

1 comment:

  1. Glad you liked my recipe .. Thank you for ur appreciation and feedback 😍 😍

    ReplyDelete

Thanks.