Friday, December 28, 2018

Sapota~Dates Muffins/Chikoo~Khajoor Cup Cakes.


"Sapota~Dates Muffins/Chikoo~Khajoor Cup Cakes topped with Almond Slivers and Chocolate Chips" ... Delicious muffins prepared using multigrain atta (flour) ... I had been wanting to bake a cake for Christmas but somehow could not do so ... Finally done ... Thanks to all my baking friends here whose posts make me want to try my hand at baking ... also thanks for giving me tips on how to use my oven in the best way ... Today I am really happy ... Yummy Yumz …. 

** Cakes as I have said many a times before are my childhood fantasy. I first learned that cakes could be made at home at the age ten when I saw my neighbor make a beautiful cake at home. You see, my father always bought them for us from his friend D’Souza’s Bakery which was a stone throw away from my father’s book store. I always thought they were prepared in bakeries where they had these huge machinery and ovens. So when my neighbor Aunt said she will bake a cake today, I was totally zapped, I meekly told her I wanted to watch and she was really amused at my ignorance. She not only allowed me to watch but explained too, though at that time it went above my head. I stood and watched her prepare the batter in a beater machine which was attached to a stand and to my amazement it got titled upward to remove the bowl below. Today this is quite common, though I still do not own one, but for a child of ten who is new to all these machine it was highly impressive as I had never seen one before. 

** Somewhere I guess, seeing all these beautiful cooking techniques and gadgets in my neighbors home as I grew up made a marking impression in my mind and I became tech savvy. I love to experiment in new machines and always wish I could buy more, but then the bombing costs of the same keep me in control. I have written so many times before how much I love cakes and cookies and my desire is to be any expert one day in this field of baking, though I doubt if it ever will be. But trying out, is something I never give up on and it is my earnest attempt each time that has somehow brought about this beautiful muffins / cup cakes intact and tasty. I am really thrilled with these beautiful cakes that I sat looking at it with a grin of achievement for a good 10 minutes. I am sure many of you who have achieved something that you have always craved for will understand my joy. When things begin to turn out better, the confidence in you builds up and then slowly you move towards perfection. Well, that is what I guess remains in me and to learn many other methods too. 

** Baking is an art and there is so much to learn in it, sort of never ending process. There is icing, fondants, creams, moldings etc. and then there is always giving of the artistic touch to the same. Well, I guess these are all for those who would love to go into baking for business. As for me I have somehow never liked much of the cream that is loaded in the cakes that are now available in the bakeries. They are soft and yummy for sure, but are loaded with fat and calories and are very unhealthy not only for elders but for kids too. I have always wondered why they add in so much of cream. I love cakes that have neither the icing nor the cream part, though a little bit is always nice. As for now I have no interest in learning to do it, but you never know what holds in future, so I leave it to that. At present all I would love to try out are healthier cakes that have veggies or fruits in them. This is another way of making children or reluctant teenagers eat them without creating fuss. So, I have tried out this cake with sapota/chikoo and it tastes yumz. 

** Here is my simple recipe for "Sapota~Dates Muffins/Chikoo~Khajoor Cup Cakes topped with Almond Slivers and Chocolate Chips" … My Style … 

** Ingredients : 
Milk / Doodh : ½ cup + 2 tblsp (I used Cow's Milk, you can use any)
Sugar Powder / Pitti Shakkar : 1 cup 
Oil : 1/2 cup (I used Saffola, you can use any edible oil)
Multigrain Flour / Atta : 1 - ½ cups (I used readily available one's in stores)
Baking powder : 1- ½ tsp 
Baking soda / Cooking Soda : ½ tsp 
Chikoo / Sapota Puree : ½ cup 
Dates / Khajoor Puree : 2 tblsp
Vanilla essence : 1 tsp 
Almond Slivers : 2 tblsp 
Chocolate Chips : As required. 


** In a fine sieve add in the multigrain flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar powder and sieve together twice into a large bowl. You can also put all the ingredients together into the bowl and mix well with a spatula. However, I sieved them as it ensures even mixing. 

** Now add in oil, chikoo puree, dates puree, vanilla essence to the above mixture along with the milk leaving aside the extra 2 tblsp of milk. Mix well with a balloon whisker till all the ingredients have mixed in well smoothly and there are no lumps whatsoever. Now if you find the mixture too thick add in the extra 2 tblsp of milk and mix well. 

** Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C), and place oven rack in the center of the oven. Butter, or line with paper liners the muffin / cup cakes tray/cups. Evenly fill the cups with the batter, using two spoons or an ice cream scoop upto 3/4th level only. Sprinkle on top some almond slivers and a few chocolate chips into each of the cups. 

** Now place the prepared muffin tray in the oven on center rack and bake for about 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cup cake comes out clean. The temperature of the ovens vary, so keep a keen watch on the baking cake after 15 minutes to get a perfectly baked muffin and do not allow it to burn on top. Also use your judgement for baking as you always do. 

** Remove and transfer to a wire rack and let cool for about 5-10 minutes before removing from pan. Continue the process if required if there is remaining batter. Can be covered and stored at room temperature for a few days or they can be frozen or can be kept in fridge for about a week or so. 

**"Sapota~Dates Muffins/Chikoo~Khajoor Cup Cakes topped with Almond Slivers and Chocolate Chips" are done and ready to be served. They taste awesome when served fresh as a snack during tiffin time and children love them when they come home hungry from school. It also ensures that they eat fruits which otherwise they are reluctant to. Enjoy these with your family and friends during potluck or other occasions.  

** You can store these muffins / cup cakes in airtight container at room temperature for a few days. You can also send them in your children's lunch box if its allowed in their school or you can also carry them for picnic or when you travel to relish in between when you are bored or feel hungry. You can prepare these during weekends and let your children share them with their friends when they go out to play. They will all simply love it and you will be happy to see their smiling faces. 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of different types in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it or have a query, please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Do try out various types of dishes included in the Blog and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible. I have also started a food group for by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" where in you will find many more recipes by members and you too can share some of your own. The link to the group is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring" … Thank You ….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.