Friday, November 9, 2018

Batato~Sungata Songa / Potato~Prawn Spicy Curry.


"Batato~Sungata Songa / Potato~Prawn Spicy Curry” … Prawns are always user friendly in preparation of many dishes, they mix in well with veggies adding on their own aroma to the curry … our very own amchi spicy batate songa tastes awesome when prawns are added on to it … Yummy Yumz …. 

** All those who follow my simple home cooked food blog are aware that “Songa” is a spicy Konkani Saraswat dish that I have posted many times in various combos before and also that it is prepared both in Veg and Non.Veg. ways. I had posted just a day back the one's I prepared with Alvamande ie Colocasia Tubers / Roots, such is the fascination for this spicy curry in my home. This is a dish with little masala that is spicy and can be prepared both with addition of ground masala or using just powders. I have always added in a little bit of freshly grated coconut while grinding the masala to get a better and thicker consistency to the masala and it tastes delicious too and that is exactly the way it is preferred in my home. Addition of tartness / tangy taste is necessary to the dish and the traditional dish is always prepared adding tamarind while grinding the masala. But then any veggie that imparts that taste can be substituted and added on to the curry. During monsoon hogplums are easily available so they are added on to the curry, while in town where plenty of bimbul (tree sorrel) or karmbala (star fruit), again a sour fruit is abundantly available and can be added on too. 


** However, by and large this curry tastes best with tamarind is added on to the masala. I have already posted this recipe before where I had used hogplums to the curry. So, I will not include / repeat the recipe again as this is just another variation that I wanted to post for those who requested me for a look of the same. I will be sharing the recipe link to that post wherein the detailed recipe is given and please do check out the same. You just have to replace the hogplums with tamarind. But remember to add it while grinding the masala while rest of the recipe remains same. I have written in details, so there should be no difficulty in following the same, however, if you have doubts, you can clear them by sending in a mail or leaving on a comment and I will get back as soon as possible. Inconvenience if any is regretted, but I am sure you all will agree that there is absolutely no point in repeating the same all over again. In my home we always like Dosa with some spicy curries, though we do like the same with bhaji. But, try this combo of this awesome dish with any dosa, I am sure you will love it. My fav. are always Masala Dosa, Paper Dosa or Panpolo (Neer Dosa). 

** Here is the link for reference of the curry ... simple method for preparation of "Spicy Prawn~Potato~Hogplum Songa" … A delicious side dish that is very tasty when served with Dalitoy~Rice or Roti ... so just happily sing a song and relish the songa ... Yummilicious ... 


** "Spicy Batato~Sungata Songa / Potato~Prawn Spicy Curry” is done and ready to be served. Serve it hot as a side dish with rice and dal or with chapatti / roti / dosa. It tastes great as a side dish with anything. Do not make the gravy too thin or waterish, but of medium consistency. The level of spice can be reduced if desired, but this curry tastes best when it is prepared spicy. Do try it out and enjoy with your family and friends. I served them with Crisp Paper Dosa and they tasted simply awesome. 

** Note : Hogplums are available only in monsoon, so if you want to prepare this curry during other seasons or if hogplums are not available to you, you can add either one of these like bimbul (tree sorrel), karmbal (star fruit), tender raw mangoes and if you do not want to use any of them you can always add tamarind while grinding the masala. Again You have a choice of adding on tomatoes too, just chop them fine and add them one the onions are fried or you can grind them and add them once the potatoes are cooked too. 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of different types in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it or have a query, please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Do try out various types of dishes included in the Blog and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible. I have also started a food group for by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" where in you will find many more recipes by members and you too can share some of your own. The link to the group is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring" … Thank You ….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.