Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Seasoned Puffed Lotus Seeds (Phool Makhana / Fox Nuts.


“Seasoned Puffed Lotus Seeds (Phool Makhana / Fox Nuts)" … a guilt free crunchy snack that is almost zero cals. but high in nutrients … it’s similar to popcorn and is sure to be loved by all … and yes it is largely consumed during fasting days … I guess these are enough reasons to relish these as its Navratri Days … so go ahead and enjoy them … Crrrrruuunnchh …. 

** I came across these puffed Lotus seeds also called phool makhana or fox nuts only after I settled in Mumbai. For many years, I never bought them or tried any dish out of the same, as I never knew what they were. It was some 10 yrs back that my friends told me about it in some food group of which I was an active member. It was only after that I tried a few dishes from it. Somehow, in the recent years, time is flying so fast that I am not able to make justice to posts and there are so many dishes which I want to post yet not able to. Why ?? For the simple reason that there is a limit to how much dishes one can cook for a day and again there only that much which can be consumed. I am all for No wasting Food, so I am taking it slow so that I can really concentrate on good ones and not miss out on those that may turn useful to many. 

** This is a very simple recipe and there is hardly anything to write about it, but the thought that it took me so many years to know what it is made me realize that there may be many more who are not aware of this awesome seed that is a blessing for all who want to eat healthy. It is very good for healthy being high in calcium, potassium, protein and other nutrients. It has lots of fiber content which helps in constipation too. Above all it is almost zero calories like popcorn and can be eaten to heart’s content specially when one is fasting, be it for spiritual reason or health reason. So if these are available to you, do try them out for those in between hunger or just to have a snack when you are watching a movie on TV or when kids want something to just munch on, it hardly takes time and can be prepared in a jiffy. 


** To prepare “Seasoned Puffed Lotus Seeds (Phool Makhana / Fox Nuts)” … You need to have these puffed lotus seeds which are freely available in the stores. 

** Heat a thick bottomed kadai and add in the puffed lotus seeds and fry on medium heat till they turn crisp. It will take about 8-10 minutes depending upon the amount added on. I used about 50 gms of the seeds. Do not overcrowd the kadai, add only upto half level, so that you are able to stir it easily without scattering them out. Once they are crisp, remove them on a plate. 

** Now in the same kadai add in 1 tsp of any edible oil, when hot add in ¼ tsp of mustard seeds, when they splutter, lower the heat and add in a few curry leaves and stir for a second. Now add in a pinch of haldi (turmeric) powder, 1 tsp of red chilly powder, ¼ tsp of hing (asafoetida) powder, ½ tsp of kala namak or any salt to taste and stir a bit, now add back the roasted puffed lotus seeds and keep tossing them till they are evenly coated with the spices. It will take just about a minute or two. Done. 

** “Seasoned Puffed Lotus Seeds (Phool Makhana / Fox Nuts)” are done and ready to be served. Wasn’t that fast and easy. Now relax and enjoy them when you catch up on a good movie on the TV or want to watch your favorite serial. Children love to munch on these and if some of the members in the family do not want them spiced for health reasons or any other reason, you can even consume them just roasted, with a pinch of salt mixed in. 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of different types in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it or have a query, please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Do try out various types of dishes included in the Blog and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible. I have also started a food group for by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" where in you will find many more recipes by members and you too can share some of your own. The link to the group is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring" … Thank You ….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.