Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Seasoned Dahi Wheat Sevai (Sun Dried Govan Shevai).


“Seasoned Dahi Wheat Sevai (Sun Dried Govan Shevai)” … Sighhhh ... what do you do when heat levels rise in the city, yeah… have plenty of curds and coconut water … Most of the time its Dahi Bhaath; but today thought why not prepare govan shevai with curds for a change … kasale jatta ?? Udainachi kai, Nave ??? So tried it and it was awesome … ate a large bowlful and now that tummy is happy got to get down to work that has piled up … Enjoy this one, it is tasty and yumz …

** Mumbai heat is soaring and it is literally making one dizzy when venturing out. It is very important to stay hydrated during the season as October heat can be very dangerous for health making it go topsy turvy. My eyes start slightly burning and I start getting heat boils on my head whenver heat rises though I hate cold season too as that gives me body ache. So to avoid the heat breaking up your system, I see to it that we have lots of coconut water, lemon juice or mosambi juice and buttermilk. Curds is something that is always available in my fridge throughout the year as we have them during all seasons. So I try making simple dishes with inclusion of curds or serve raitas in larger quantities than the food to balance the body heat. Dahi Bhaat or Curd Rice is something always had in my home and we love it. Kanji ie rice porridge is another dish that can be relished during all seasons. You may feel it is good for monsoon and winter only but trust me it is equally good during summer too as it has larger quantity of water content in it. 

** Coming to curds, I had to go on outdoor schedule on my official work for a few hours today and I was feeling the heat even before going out. So early morning I decided to prepare curd rice and relish it before leaving home mid morning. But recently, I have cut down a lot on rice and introducing myself to millets, but again, the time was not sufficient to prepare millets. I have always been wondering about preparing curd wheat sevai and today I thought of going ahead with the thought. I will not run into details about preparing the seasoned wheat sevai as I have written in detail about the same. I will just be sharing the link at the bottom of this recipe and you can check the recipe there as there is no point in repeating again. I hope I have not made it inconvenient to you and I do appreciate the thought of my friends understanding my point of view. You will just need to prepare the sevai as mentioned in the recipe there and allow it to completely cool. It hardly takes 5-10 minutes to cool if you spread it on a plate. Rest of the method is very simple, you just need to have thick well set curds at home and the dish is ready in a jiffy. 

** About Wheat Sevai / Govan Shevai :  Wheat sevai as you all know is a sun dried item, either prepared at home during summer time or bought from stores and preserved round the year to prepare usli / snack for breakfast or tiffin. It comes in handy when you have guest dropping in suddenly or even for those in between hunger panks, when children have holidays or during monsoon season when due to heavy rains you cannot venture out. In Konkani Saraswat Community most of the households store them in large tins for consumption round the year. I have given in detail to the best of my ability about this wheat sevai in my blog before to which I have enclosed the link below at the bottom of this recipe. 


** Here is my simple method of preparing “Seasoned Dahi Wheat Sevai (Sun Dried Govan Shevai)” … a delicious~heart warming dish … My Style to beat the heat …. 

** You will need about 5-6 cups of prepared and seasoned wheat sevai for this recipe. Just see to it that the seasoned wheat sevai is at room temperature before you add in the curds. And yes, do not forget to add in a few roasted groundnuts to the seasoning while preparing the sevai / shevai, it tastes awesome and children simply love the crunchy nuts, off course elders too.

** Beat 2 cups of chilled curds well to a very smooth consistency and add it to 6 cups of cooled seasoned wheat sevai and mix well. The curds should be very chilled as when you add the room temperature sevai it slightly warms up. If you find the texture too thick, you can add in 2-3 tblsp of boiled and cooled water and mix it up to get right consistency. You can also garnish the same with a little bit of finely chopped coriander leaves, I did not have fresh ones so I left that step out. Also check the salt and add if need be, you must be careful with salt always, so add on only if needed.

** “Seasoned Dahi Wheat Sevai (Sun Dried Govan Shevai)” is done and ready to be served. Serve this cold immediately and enjoy the same with your family and friends. If you want to carry this in lunch box, see to it that the curds are not sour in taste but just perfect or else it will turn too sour in a few hours by the time you are ready to eat it. If you want to have it later on just put it in an air tight container or steel box and put it in the fridge for later use and you can remove and directly serve the same later on. 

** Note : If you love to eat spicy dishes, you can serve the Dahi Wheat Sevai with any homemade spicy pickle or deep fried~sun dried chillies too or some vodi (Sandige) or papads they simply taste awesome. I usually serve them with vodi and deep fried dried chillies. Do give me a feed back on this, if you loved the recipe, it helps in wanting to do that much more. 

** Note : Here is a simple trick if you still want to take Dahi Wheat Sevai in lunch box or for the matter even curd rice. To prevent the same from turning too sour after a few hours ie during your lunch time in office follow this method and it will be fine to eat without the dish having gone sour. Just beat one cup of thick chilled curds with one cup of thick chilled milk together and add it to the sevai / rice. Mix well, and carry it in a airtight container to office, you will be surprised how well the dish will have settle in a few hours. 

** Given below is the link to the preparation method of seasoning sun-dried wheat sevai / shevai. Do go through the link and follow that method for shevai / sevai. Again you serve the sevai as it is too for breakfast or add in curds and serve it too. Or you can just serve some as it is and add in curds to the remaining sevai too. 
** Here is the link to the Recipe …. 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of different types in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it or have a query, please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Do try out various types of dishes included in the Blog and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible. I have also started a food group for by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" where in you will find many more recipes by members and you too can share some of your own. The link to the group is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring" … Thank You ….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.