Thursday, October 25, 2018

Chick Peas~Seemebadanekai Kurma served with Ghee Rice.


“Chick Peas~Seemebadanekai Kurma served with Ghee Rice” … Whenever I chance upon seemebadanekai / Chayote Squash / Chow Chow, I just buy them in bulk so that I can enjoy all the yummy dishes as it is difficult to get them in my vicinity … I was thrilled when I found these beauties a few days back … Here is a delicious combo of white whole chana with chow chow in Kurma style that when served with ghee rice compliment each other very well … Yummy Yumz … 

** Seemebadanekai / Chayote Squash / Chow Chow is a veggie that is though available in Mumbai, it is not so freely at every place. In my vicinity it is not available and in the market it is not so every time. There are some veggie vendors who sell south Indian veggies and it is by and large available with them. So when I saw some lovely seemebadanekai in Mall few days back, I was so thrilled and bought lots of them, so now I am on a seemebadanekayi spree dishes. I have always loved this veggie that Mom used to add to Kurma a curry prepared with mixed vegetables. It has a distinct and unique taste of its own and taste too good in kurma recipes. Kurma is a very versatile dish that can be prepared in many combinations and it still tastes great. I had always thought of kurma with veggies only, but once I chanced upon kurma curry with added on pulses in a small eatery on my way to hometown Mangalore from Mumbai. 

** Those days we had to travel by bus for a whole day to reach Mangalore and the railway track on Konkan side came into existence much later. So while travelling by bus due to some delays our bus took a stop over at a small eatery and since it was late there was not much food available. When the waiter said Chana Kurma was available with some poories, I was totally zapped, but asked him to bring it over and was surprised to see white whole chanas added into preparation of kurma with some veggies thrown in. It was not so tasty as the gravy was thinner in texture, not to mention the oil soaked poories, but for a foodie with vision, you immediately grasp on to the idea and the mind runs riot with other options that can be followed. I loved the idea very much and mentally made a note of the same and after reaching Mumbai back after my trip the first thing I ventured into preparing was Kurma with pulses. 

** Later on I have tried it with various variations with addition of pulses. Somehow, in the last decade again,  I completely stopped making this dish as I was somehow always having some problem or the other due to back issues. Also, I have a fascination for kurma with seemebadanekai and this veggie was hardly available where I stay, so kurma somehow never crossed in mind and took a back seat. Though a few times, I did make vegetable kurma when I somehow managed to get them but not with pulses. We should be thankful for these malls that have cropped up all over India, it is such a boon and wonderful opportunity to be able to buy all things under one roof, especially for people like me who are always running short of time. I am always packed with workload to the brim and I find it very convenient, though the prices do make a dent in my pocket, but then I do get to pick up things that are otherwise not available to me and that makes me happy. 


** Coming to Vegetable Kurma, My Mom made the best Kurma and the recipe is age old, I would say about 40 yrs old. But to date I love that recipe very much and by and large I follow the same recipe without making any changes. This time however, I wanted to add on some other ingredients just to be check on possibilities, so I have tweaked the recipe a little bit and added on some Goda Masala a very famous Maharashtrian masala which I purchased from stores along with some freshly prepared homemade curds. Again I have increased the number of green chillies and cut down on red chillies which is optional. I have prepared this Kurma using chick peas / whole white chanas along with seemebadanekayi / chow chow / chayote squash which tastes the best in kurma. Addition of butter towards the end is also optional, but do try it out, somehow I have always found that it gives a lift to dishes that are spicy and turns out that much more delicious.

** As my usual practice, I will also be sharing the link to my original Kurma recipe which I have posted in the blog a few years back at the bottom of this recipe, you can check up on that recipe which has been our household one for decades now. That Kurma recipe credit goes to my Mother who is an excellent cook and makes the best Kurma to date. Do try out both options of the recipe as they have some changes in the preparation and sometimes a minute difference too makes a lot of the same. You can add any other vegetable too if you have no access to chayote squash for eg. Cauliflower, green peas, carrots, all go very well in this particular curry. Actually Kurma tastes best with loads of veggies and that is the way most of the hotels serve them. I hope I have inspired at least some of you by all this chat about kurma instead of boring you, but then I always love sharing my thoughts here as it gives me pleasure in doing so, Ok, now, lets move on to the preparation method of the kurma. 


** Here is my method of preparing “Chick Peas~Seemebadanekai Kurma” … My Style … 

** Cooking of Chick Peas / Whole White Chana (Gram) : Soak 2 cups of chick peas / white whole chana / dhavo chano in plenty of water overnight or for 6-8 hours. Drain off the water and rinse it well under running water. Add the chana in pressure cooker with water say about 2 inches above the level of chana. Pressure cook on medium flame to one whistle. Remove and keep aside for the pressure to fall on its own. Once done, drain off the water and put the cooked chick peas in a vessel and keep it aside. Retain the cooked water. 

** Cooking of Seemebadanekai / Chayote Squash / Chow Chow : Wash and wipe dry one large sized seemebadanekai say about 350 gms. Slice of thinly the out thick skin of the veggie, the inner side has a large seed within which should also be remove and discarded. Now cut the veggie into medium sized pieces and rinse under running water. Do not make them into small pieces. Put them in the pressure cooker pan and add on the retained cooked water. Check and add more only if necessary. 

** Pressure cook on medium heat to one whistle. Remove and allow to cool for 5 minutes. If able to open the cooker lid do so, if not slowly release the pressure with a clamp / spatula / chimti / pakkodu taking care to see that you stand far away from it. This is done so that the seemebadanekai does not get overcooked. Usually if you have added in correct amount of water the veggie will not get over cooked, but if the water content is more this can happen, so releasing of the pressure and allowing it to cool on open help. Remove and add it into the vessel in which the cooked chick peas and added. 

** Note : If you are not comfortable with the method of pressure cooking of seemebadanekai which I completely agree can be tricky as you should have judgement of the cooking time of the same, do not worry, just put it in a vessel with the cooked chick peas water and cook till almost done. Keep a keen watch on the same, by pricking it with a fork which will help you judge if the same is cooked. A few times you cook this veggie you will then be able to do so at ease. 

** For the Masala to be Ground : Heat 2 tblsp of oil in a kadai, when hot lower the heat and add in 1 tsp jeera, 2 tblsp coriander seeds, 1 tsp of black pepper corns, 2 green cardamoms, 4-5 cloves, 1 inch piece of cinnamon, pinch of jaivitri and fry for a minute, then add in 10-12 garlic cloves chopped into pieces, 1 inch ginger piece also chopped into pieces and one large onion roughly chopped. Continue frying until the onions are translucent. 

** Now add in 5-6 green chillies cut into pieces and fry for a minute, then add in 1 tblsp of goda masala and 1 tsp of kashmiri red chilly powder and fry for a minute, lastly add in 1 cup of freshly grated coconut and continue frying for a good 3-4 minutes. Remove and add this into a mixer grinder and grind to a very smooth paste with the cooked water of veggies if any or plain water. The masala should be ground very smooth. 

** In a thick bottomed kadai add 2 tblsp of ghee, when hot and melted add in a few curry leaves followed by the ground masala. Fry the masala well for 2-3 minutes on medium heat. Now add in another tablespoon of ghee and continue frying till you get a good aroma. This will take about on the whole about 5-6 minutes depending upon the heat of the flame. Do not fry on high flame lest you burn the dish and also if cooked too fast the aroma does not get retained within the curry. 

** Now add in the cooked chick peas and the seemebadanekai and mix well. Adjust the consistency of the gravy by adding on only that much water how much is necessary. Add salt to taste and let cook on medium flame till you see bubbles appearing on top of the surface. Keep stirring in between to avoid the curry getting burnt. Once the bubbles appear, lower the hit to minimum, cover and simmer the curry for 5-7 minutes. 

** Beat one cup of fresh curds to a smooth consistency and add to the curry and mix well. Cook on medium heat till you see the bubbles come up, this will hardly take much time. Immediately remove from the curry from fire and add in 2 tblsp of fresh homemade butter and handful of finely chopped coriander leaves. Cover and keep the kurma aside for about 20-30 minutes for the curry to settle and get infused in flavors and it is done. 

** “Chick Peas~Seemebadanekai Kurma” is done and ready to be serve. I served it with ghee rice as I love the combo very much. This combo of kurma with ghee rice has been my childhood favorite and I somehow never tire of it. Though kurma tastes equally good with any pulav, roti, chapati, poori, parotas, appos, appams too. Try this dish with your own choice of any one of the mentioned accompaniment and enjoy with your family and friends. 

** Note : Ghee rice is a delicious mildly flavored rice that goes very well with both veg. and Non.Veg dishes that are slightly spicier in taste. I have always relished ghee rice with chicken curries and Kurmas. Sharing below the link to my ghee rice recipe, which has been the same with no changes for decades now. When you love a dish as it is, you just don’t try to make changes in them as they are perfect as it is. Check the link given below for ghee rice … 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of different types in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it or have a query, please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Do try out various types of dishes included in the Blog and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible. I have also started a food group for by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" where in you will find many more recipes by members and you too can share some of your own. The link to the group is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring" … Thank You ….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.