Saturday, July 7, 2018

Veggie Dal.


“Veggie Dal” … A simple~delicious dal (Tuvar Dal) with the added goodness of Corn kernels, Carrots and French Beans that are in season now … Tastes great when served with Khotto / Idly or Chapati … Yumz ......

** Dals as all are aware of is a must in every Indian home, and I do not think there is any home that does not prepare the same. Every home has their own method and ways of preparing this dal that is by large prepared using Tuvar Dal. In my home too Dal is frequently prepared, almost every day either to serve with rice, or in curries or sambar etc. Sambar for Idlies is always prepared with Tuvar Dal and we Konkani Saraswat’s are famous for our “Dalitoy” a spiced tuvar dal that is relished by young and old alike. The same dal is prepared into sambar with the addition of ground sambar masala or ready made sambar masala powder along with veggies. Sambar is a must for Khotto / Idly and it is no different in my home, though many a times we relish the same only with chutney too. 

** I have lots of childhood memories with this particular dal with vegetables. During childhood, I detested eating anything spicy and would brush aside any food that was spiced up. Sambar is one dish that does not taste good if it is not prepared spicy, but for me it was No-No. I would crib and not eat the Idly / khotto saying it was spicy. Once it so happened that I was in the kitchen when Mom was preparing the sambar. I was about say the age of 11 yrs old. I was peeping as to what she was preparing and I saw dal and veggies being cooked. I asked her what it was and she replied sambar. But it is not spicy, it looks yellow I said and she told me that she had yet to add in the masala. Eurekha, I got an instant Idea and asked Mom if I could have a bowl of the dal with veggies before she adds on the masala, so that I could dunk my Idlies in them and relish the same. 

** This really surprised my Mom, and she wondered why she had not thought about the same before, I guess her problem of making me eat Idlies which was prepared almost every week got solved, and she was also happy. From that day to many years later on I always insisted that my dal with veggies be removed and kept separately before adding in Masala. It was much later that I learned to eat with sambar after my Mom insisted that I it was time I grew up and ate spices and not fuss about. But my love for dal with veggies stayed on and many a times I would quietly remove the dal with veggies and keep aside to at least relish one Idly with it. Childhood memories and tastes are so nostalgic that they stay on and crop up now and then whenever some thought crosses our mind. I never knew I missed this dal with veggies in it so much, if not for my hubby today who reminded me of my good old days, and then there was no stopping me I guess. 

** It so happened that today I was all out to preparing sambar with the addition of veggies ie. corn, carrots and beans. I had microwaved them to save time and had added them to the boiling dal when hubby questioned me if it was Veggie Dal today for Khotto and I almost completely stopped and just gaped at the dal and all memories came flooding back. I thought why not? Hubby loved dal, though he preferred sambar as he loves anything spicy, but for once I could relive my childhood memories and enjoy the khottos like how I did during childhood, also I wanted to share it here with all my friends who could also do the same if their children were reluctant to eat sambar. So I just seasoned the dal with veggies and that it, dunked the khotto in hot “Veggie Dal” and had it to my hearts content. I added on Coriander~Coconut Chutney which I always prepare and keep them in fridge and it was a delicious, yummy combo. Try it, you will simply love it, children will definitely eat them without a murmur for sure. 


** Here is the simple Recipe for “Veggie Dal” … My Style to be served with Khotto / Idly …. 

** Pressure cook one cup of dal till it is very soft. Remove and mash / churn well, so that there are no lentils left as it is. Add in a cup of water mix well and see to it that it is equally mixed into a smooth texture. 

** Wash and put one cup of corn kernels in a vessel. Peel of the skin of one large sized carrot and cut them into cubes that the size of corn. Wash and add them also to the corn in vessel. String the french beans and cut them also into the same size pieces, wash and add it to the corn and carrot in vessel. 

** Add in 2 cups of water to the ingredients in the vessel and bring to a boil on medium heat. Now simmer till the veggies are cooked 80%. Add in the cooked and churned dal to this, 6-8 green chillies cut into pieces and mix well. Bring to a boil and simmer well. Add salt to taste and cook for 5 minutes and then remove from fire. 

** Note : The spice for the dal here comes in only from green chillies, just like how it does when we prepare dalitoy. So you can increase or decrease the same depending upon the level of spice it contains. Do not cut the green chillies into very small pieces as they may not then be visible and children may bite on them. Keep them say about 3 inches in length and slit lengthwise, that way it is much safer. 

** For Tempering : Heat 1 tblsp ghee + 1 tblsp coconut oil in a pan, when hot add in 1 tsp of mustard (sasam/rai) seeds, when they begin to splutter add in ½ - 1 tsp of hing (asafoetida) powder, ½ tsp of haldi (turmeric) powder, pinch of coriander powder and 12-15 curry leaves, fry for a minute and add to the simmering dal. Cover and keep aside for some time for the flavors to seep in. 

** You can garnish this dal with a handful of finely chopped coriander leaves, I do so, but today I did not have and it was raining very heavily for the past two days and I could not go out to buy any vegetables and had to do with whatever was available at home. You can add in any other favorite vegetable of yours, like green peas, tomatoes, brinjals etc. 
 

** “Veggie Dal” is done and ready to be served with Khotto / Idly. This is best served with khotto / Idly, but you can also keep the texture a little bit thicker and serve it with roti / chapati too. Try this dalitoy style dal with the addition of veggies and serve the Idlies dunked in them steaming hot, they taste simply awesome. I served them with Urad dal~Moong dal~Idly Rava khotto and they were really delicious. I have posted that combo right after this one and you can check up the same too. 

** You can use the search option for "Dal or Dalitoy" where you will get many more dishes prepared using it. Do try out various types of dishes to relish with dosa / Idly / roti etc. or with dal-chawal too. Enjoy the dishes with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible. 

** You can also click on the link below for the Dalitoy Recipe, which will give you the Idea of how we Konkani Saraswats cook the dal, here the basic recipe is the same …. 

** You can use the search option for "Idly" where you will get many more dishes prepared using it. Do try out various types of Idly / Khottos etc. too. Enjoy the dishes with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible. 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of similar type in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. You can also go to my page (add on the left side of blog) and leave a message and I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible … Thank you. I have also started a food group for "Konkani Saraswats" by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" the link of which is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.