Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Komal Dosa (A Soft~Spongy Dosa).


"Komal Dosa" ... A soft~spongy Dosa served with Molaga Podi and Ridge Gourd Peel Chutney along with Ginger Tea ... Tastes simply awesome ... 

** Again a feedback to my another of my dear friend, looks like these are days of feedback. As all of you know I am a foodie and I love cooking food that appeals to me at first sight. I have so many yet to do recipes of my own and added to it I have saved so many recipes my friends posted that I promised to make. The list to do dishes seems to be pilling on without me doing nothing about it. So I kept aside my recipes and thought of making it a feedback session for some time. I owe the success of my group “Konkani Delicacies” to my friends who consistently churn out and post one after another awesome dishes. I wish I had more hands or I had more time in the day to make them all. 

** This particular dosa was prepared by most best friend savithri, whom I lovingly call Savi3 and who lovingly calls me Gayi3. The snow white dosa with loads of holes appealed me the minute I set my eyes on them. At a glance, I thought she had posted musti polo a famous traditional Konkani saraswat dish, which is made in almost every home. Then I read the title which said it was Komal Dosa and I was intrigued. The meaning of Komal is soft and delicate which actually is justified by the outcome in this dosa. They are so soft, delicate and spongy that you crave to eat them more. Savi3 shared the recipe and I made it immediately lest I forget and it remains in to do list. 

** The Komal Dosa Recipe Credit goes to my dear friend Savithri Shenoy K, who is an expert in cooking traditional konkani saraswat dishes. I have not changed anything in this recipe and it remains the same. Thanks a lot Savi3 dear we loved it. 

** Ingredients : 
Raw Rice : 2 cups (I used surti kolam)
Urad Dal / Black Gram Dal : 1 cup 
Boiled Rice / White Ukda Rice : one fistful 
Tuvar Dal / Tur Dal : one fistful 
Salt to taste 


** Wash well and soak all the above ingredients except salt in plenty of water for a good 5-6 hours. Then rinse well and grind it to a very smooth paste without adding much of water. The batter should remain thick like that of masala dosa. Add salt to taste and let ferment overnight or at least for 12 hours. 

** Note : Fermenting this batter is very important to get good results. If prepared soon, the dosa turns soft and spongy but the loads of holes do not appear. So do ferment the batter for a good 12 hours. 

** To Remove the Dosa : Beat the batter well and check the consistency. The batter should be thick like that of masala dosa. Now heat a dosa pan, when it is steaming hot add in a drop of oil and rub it slightly with tissue all round the tava. Pour one large ladleful of the batter in the center. The batter will spread itself into a round shape of say about 6-8 inches in diameter. 

** DO NOT attempt to spread the dosa with ladle like other dosas. This dosa is prepared like our very own mushti polo or surnali polo. Lower the heat to minimum, cover with a dome lid and let cook till done. Once done the dosa can be lifted easily with a flat dosa removing spatula. DO NOT flip the dosa over and cook. This dosa is cooked on one side only and the top side gets cooked in the steam within when covered. 

** Remove the dosa on a plate and repeat the process to remove the required number of dosas. Remember to add in a drop of oil and rub with tissue between removing of each dosas, it helps in easily removing the dosa. There is absolutely no need of adding in oil all round when the dosa is getting cooked. Almost an oil free dosa, which is a very good healthy option for those who do not like eating oily dishes. 

** "Komal Dosa" is done and ready to be served. Always serve the dosa hot direct from the tava. Dosas should always be relished hot unless you want to take it in lunch box. Remains good in the lunch box too. Serve the dosa with any chutney of your choice or with pickle or molaga podi too. You can also serve the same with any spicy curry of your choice too. It tastes awesome with spicy dishes. 

** I served the dosa with Molaga podi and Ridge Gourd Peel Chutney along with Strong Ginger Tea. What a treat it was, I enjoyed my bf and my tummy kept quiet for almost 8 hours after eating 3 of these yummy dosas. Do try them out, I am also sharing the link to the molaga poldi, ridge gourd chutney and kadak chai for those interested to go through below. 

** Here are the links to the Recipes …. 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of similar type in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. You can also go to my page (add on the left side of blog) and leave a message and I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible … Thank you. I have also started a food group for "Konkani Saraswats" by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" the link of which is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.