Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Milk Rice With Potato Onion Bhaji And Raw Mango Pickle.


"Batato Ani Piyava Upkari, Tallele Mini Papodu, Duddha SheetHa ani Ambuli Nonche / Potato~Onion Bhaji, Deep Fried Mini Papads, Rice in Milk And Raw Mango Pickle" ... I am still fond of this simple heart warming food ... I hope many of you still enjoy this Baby Food ... Ammana hanve sanastana guldunu khavoche ashile ... Nostalgic Memories ..... 

** Rice dunked in hot milk is a food mostly given to children but is also savored by elders. During childhood, say unto the age of 3-4 years a few decades back children were always fed rice ground / crushed in hot milk like porridge / gruel. I remember Mom adding milk to rice on my plate and then coarsely grinding it with the back of tumbler which in konkani we say SheetHa Gulduche’ sort of milk porridge I would say. She would add some tablespoon of thick dal to this and I would enjoy my food or my Mom personally would feed me the same. I have nostalgic memories of milk rice and till date I really enjoy it very much. My sister’s never relished this much and would always tell Mom to not fuss round me and that I should eat proper meal. 

** But me being the youngest in the home, was pampered and had my way exactly the way I wanted. I would simple sit quietly and look at Mom without eating, finally she would relent to my call as I would keep calling her “amma layee” meaning feed me mom. Sigh … where are those days gone, LOL if I tell my Mom that now, I will def. get a good lecture on it. I still love my rice with milk and have it whenever I want to go light or whenever I feel uneasy in my stomach. My hubby however does not like it much and prefers curds. So I relish my lunch / dinner at times with milk while he has with curds. We love these simple meals or porridge, curd rice, mik rice, khichidi usually for dinner as it is lighter on tummy. 

** For a decade now we have stopped having full meal or heavy meal at night time and eat something light say a roti with simple bhaji or peja. Most of the times it is rice porridge or khichidi which both of us love. It had been quite some time since I had my dinner with milk. I had been to a marriage function, where the food was mostly north Indian dishes, with garam masala ruling the almost in all dishes. Somehow, both hubby and me cannot tolerate the heavy spices very much and as we had have to have them continuously for a few days, both of our tummy were sort of grumbling, so decided to go light and have milk rice for lunch instead of dinner. Prepared some onion potato bhaji, a dash of pickle and some fryums and enjoyed the simple lunch to heart’s content. 


** There is no recipe as such for this one, just add on hot (boiling point) milk to rice and relish with any bhaji and pickle of your choice. For children below the age of three, just grind it with a back of a tumbler to a gruel consistency and feed them this often with some less spiced dal and fresh veggies. It is really good for growing up children’s health coz. of the addition of milk content which is high in protein, exactly what growing children need. I am sharing the link to both the pickle and potato onion bhaji, while the fries / small papads were store bought. Do enjoy this simple homely food at times, when you do not feel like having heavy meals or you are down with a flu or cold, it builds up on stamina too. But see to it that the milk is really hot when served as it tastes best with hot milk only. 

** Before many of you wonder why I have added this in my Blog, I would like to say that it is my desire to share all my food knowledge here, I would like to sort of document and relive through childhood till old age of food habits. I know it will help young mothers and elder people by reminding them of these simple food that we were fed and still have which they too should include in their family diet for the sake of health generations to come. It is always within us to build good habits, which our children are sure to follow and so will their children and the chain of healthy eating will continue then making our beloved family members healthy and strong. 

** For the “Potato~Onion Bhaji” Recipe, Please follow the link given below …. 

** For the “Raw Mango Pickle” Recipe, Please follow the link given below … 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.