Thursday, June 14, 2018

Gavnche' Rulava Pejja / Mangalore Rava Porridge.


"Gavnche' Rulava Pejja / Mangalore Rava Porridge" served with Raw Mango Pickle and a choice of fries ... Vodi, Fryums, Takka Mirsanaga (any one or a few of each only plz.) ... After yesterday's Biryani prefer to go light on tummy today so its simple Rulava Porridge / Pejja / Konjee / Kanji / Gangi / Congee for lunch and karbeva saaru as appetizer ... Yummy Yumz ...... 

** I have already written in detail of how my family loves simple steaming hot porridge's for dinner, with a dash of salt and a teaspoon of fresh homemade ghee. When there was request for the same sometime back, I was taken by surprise but made the post wherein I added on the rice pejja/porridge. I had decided then that I must include all the varieties of pejja that I grew up relishing and those which I learned recently. Sometimes some simple dishes we assume everybody knows and there is no point in posting it. However, it takes you by surprise when someone claims they have never heard of it. I have written a lot about rice porridge, you may please check the same too for reference. I am also enclosing a common link at the bottom of this recipe; you can click on the same.

** Today, I am including Rava / Rulava / Bansi Rava Porridge. I prepare this one less than the rice one’s but frankly speaking this one is healthier than the rice porridge. My Mom always insisted when someone at home was down with fever or cold to have this porridge steaming hot with the addition of some salt and ghee. Porridge though may sound kiddish are actually a bowl of goodness and each one of us must include them sometimes into our diets. If I have had heavy meal during lunchtime, I prepare it for dinner. But, sometimes when you want to go light for a few days I do prepare the same for lunch time too, adding on some appetizer (curry leaves saar which is also good for digestion) and some fries along with it. Sometimes I add on a tablespoon or two of cooked dal to the porridge too, it tastes great.

** I had prepared prawn biryani after a long time yesterday, somehow greed got the better of me, and I ate it more than my regular share, which made me drowsy all through the day and made me uneasy at night too. Whenever I have an upset tummy, I just stop all food and I am ok. My Mom always said, leave the stomach empty and take a few walks and you will be ok. This is my dilemma from childhood. I start grumbling when my tummy is full, then jump about here and there, I used to get scolding from Mom repeatedly for overeating. Sigh, I guess some habits never go away or must I say man never learns, so today for lunch I prepared Rulava Porridge / Pejja / Konjee / Kanji / Gangi / Congee to balance my tummy growls and that’s it, I feel much better and have also decide to go without lunch at night and I will be fine. 


** Here is the simple Method of preparing "Gavnche' Rulava Pejja / Mangalore Rava Porridg” ….. My Style ….

** In a large vessel add about 6 cups of water and bring to boil. Let it simmer aside.

** In a thick bottomed vessel add in 2 tblsp of fresh homemade ghee and add in one cup of Mangalore Rava / Gavanche Rulav / Barik Lapsi / Bansi Rava and fry for 2 minutes.

** Now lower the heat to minimum and then add the boiling water to the rava slowly and mix well. The rava should not stick to the bottom of the vessel, so mix well, then increase the heat and bring to a complete boiling point, stirring often.

** Once the rava comes to a boiling point, lower the heat to medium and cook until the rava is cooked to very soft consistency and the water level has reached almost to half and you have a thick porridge ready. Keep stirring in between to avoid the rava being stuck to the bottom or being burnt. 

** Note : If you find water getting evaporated fast, lower the heat a little bit and further cook or you can also add in some more hot water. Once the rava get’s cooked to a thick mushy consistency and turns milky off white, it’s done.

** "Gavnche' Rulava Pejja / Mangalore Rava Porridge" is done and ready to be served. Serve immediately steaming hot with a dash of salt and a teaspoon of homemade ghee. You can serve this with lime pickle / kanchi or any other pickle, some fryums, kismuri, chips, wafers, podi, fish fry, pappads, vodi, happalu or just as it is with pickle.

** Note : Please DO NOT hesitate to add ghee, it is good for health. Latest health benefits analysis worldwide show that ghee is really good for health in limited intakes. This dish is very good for health so do not hesitate to introduce this into your diet at times.

** Also you can add salt to taste while cooking the rava too, but I prefer to add both salt and ghee separately to each person as per their liking and taste. I prefer just a pinch of salt while my hubby likes a little bit more, so it is individual taste actually. 

** You can check up on the following link for combo lunch of peja with other dishes …

** For the “Raw Mango Pickle” Recipe, Please follow the link given below … 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.