Friday, June 1, 2018

Cashew Nut Fritters (Kajjubi Bajo/Bajia).


“Cashew Nut Fritters (Kajjubi Bajo/Bajia)” ... Delicious~Crisp deep fried fritters … I don’t think I need to say more here … But, yes I call them My Style Spicy Mangalore Macaroons … Enjoy this one hot with your family and friends … 

** Cashew Nut fritters / bajo / bajia are deep fried crispies that can be prepared with whole or cashew nut pieces. Whole cashew nuts are prepared and they remain separate singles, while the one’s prepared with piece are combined and prepared like round balls, bajias. This type of preparing of bajias that is coating them sparingly was taught to me by my aunt. The method is a bit different from the usual bajia method. The mixture is coated in such a way that it just gives it a thin film coating of the paste. It is then fried on medium heat until crispy. They remain good for a few days too, but will it ??? is the bigest question mark. 

** I had bought a kilogram of cut pieces of cashew nut pieces for stocking up and as there was an offer running in the stores, he gave me 100 gms free. Now my bottle holds roughly a kilo and there was about 150 gms that could not be adjusted. I know many of you will feel, why could I not keep it in another smaller container or adjust with other dry fruits. But had I done that how would I get to relish these crispy fritters I love and share with all of you. Isn’t it? It has been over a decade since I prepared these and those extra cashew nut pieces just would not let me be and finally I relented and here they are … Yummy Yumz. 

** I have shared only the recipe for the cashew nut fritter here without addition of any extra pictures. The preparation method is the same as for the one I posted before for Cauliflower Fritters. No point in clicking and posting them again. The cauliflower fritters contains step by step procedure and the method and recipe remains same. The only change here is cashew nut pieces. I will be sharing the link to that recipe at the bottom of this recipe, so please do go through it and you will get a fair Idea of the mixing method. Do excuse for not re-posting them here. Just click on the link and that’s it. 

** Here is the Recipe for “Cashew Nut Fritters (Kajjubi Bajo/Bajia)” … My Style …. 

100-150 gms cashew nut medium sized cut pieces. 
4-5 tblsp of besan (chana dal flour) – sieved. 
1 tsp hing powder 
½ tsp coriander powder 
½ tsp fennel powder (Op) 
1 tblsp vinegar (Op) 
1-2 tblsp of red chilly powder 
Salt to taste 
Water : as required


** Check, lean and add in the cashew nut pieces in a wide stainless steel bowl. I used cashew nut pieces bought from stores if you have whole cashews you can cut into halves lengthwise and then again into halves. The pieces are say about roughly 4 of each cashew. 

** Now add in salt to taste, besan (chana dal flour), hing powder, coriander powder, fennel seeds powder (Optional), vinegar (Optional), red chilly powder (plus or minus depending upon how spicy the powder is and also on individual liking) and toss / mix well. 

** Keep sprinkling some water and mixing all ingredients till the mixture has mixed well with the cashew nut pieces and given them a nice sticky and binding coating. You should be able to bind them into small lumps when you remove them by hand. I repeat do not let the mixture go thinner in texture, if you want a perfect crisp bajia. 

** Meanwhile, heat plenty of oil in a thick bottomed kadai for deep frying. When smoking hot, lower the heat, wait for 5 minutes, then gently drop in about a tablespoon full off lumps into the oil gently and carefully. Do not overcrowd the kadai. 

** Keep the heat on medium and gently let the cashew nut fritters / bajo cook for a few minutes undisturbed. Do not go to stir them as here we have used pieces and them may break away from the lump / ball and loosen up while frying. Once it settled and you find it fried as whole bajia then turn them over and fry till evenly done on all sides. 

** Once nicely browned and crisp remove and place it on an absorbent paper for the excess oil to drain off. Continue the procedure with the remaining mixture till done. Remember to keep the heat constantly at medium hot through frying or else the bajias will turn oily. They may soak up oil, if fried at low temperature. The trick to get a good crisp bajia is always the heat and the mixture content. 

** “Cashew Nut Fritters (Kajjubi Bajo/Bajia)” are done and ready to be served. Serve hot as a snack or as an accompaniment with other dishes. These crispies are best served as starters and is a hit dish with youngsters and children alike, also something different from the regular bajias. Try it out at parties or potluck or at get-together, your party is sure to rock. 

** Given below is the link to the Cauliflower Fritters / Crispies, where in there are step by step pictures that will enable you to understand the texture of the mixture correctly. Do follow the link given below to get a fair idea of the same if you are a novice to this style of deep frying method. I repeat do not let the mixture go thinner in texture, if you want a perfect crisp bajia. 

** You can use the search option for "Baji or Bajo or Fritters or Ambado" where you will get many more dishes prepared using it. Do try out various types of dishes to relish with dosa / Idly / roti etc. or with dal-chawal too. Enjoy the dishes with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible. 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of similar type in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. You can also go to my page (add on the left side of blog) and leave a message and I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible … Thank you. I have also started a food group for "Konkani Saraswats" by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" the link of which is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.