Monday, May 21, 2018

Sweet~Spicy Ripe Jackfruit Fritters (Ponsa Mulika).


“Godshe’~Tikshe’ Ponsa Mulika/Sweet~Spicy Ripe Jackfruit Fritters” … Tried my own variation “thodasa hatke/something different” from the traditional sweet ponsa mulika a traditional dish from Konkani Saraswat Cuisine … this one is for those of your who do not like much of sweet preparations and prefer spicier one’s … it tastes simply awesome …


** Ripe Jackfruit season has almost come to an end and there were so many dishes that I had wanted to do, but fell short of time. It really becomes hectic when all veggies and fruits arrive at the same time and then you just don’t know which one to give priority to. I always jot down in a note book the ideas that crop up in my mind that I would like to try. So there are many ripe jackfruit dish trials that are yet to be done. A few have to be moderated and tried out again, due to slight failure in textures etc. I had just left that for next year seasonal trials when hubby came home with some ripe jackfruit he found in the market. It was not very sweet as towards the end of the season sometimes you just don’t come across the good ones. Maybe in a few days I will get better one’s or all my ideas will have to be tried and tested the next season. Whatever, this dish is a real good trial and sure to stay in my kitchen.

** Whenever I prepare a sweet item / dish hubby always drops hints that I should try out something different of the same on spicier variations. Now that the jackfruit were not very sweet in taste I thought of preparing ponsa mulik a traditional Konkani Saraswat sweet fritter, which I have already prepared and posted before. I am sharing the link to the same at the bottom of this recipe, please do check through the same. I prepare them every season at least once and relish them for a few days as they remain good for a few days at room temperature too. This year too I had intended to do the same, but somehow due to lack of time and preparation of too many dishes I just enjoyed them as a fruit and did not bother much with preparation of dishes adding them on. Now that the fruits were not sweet, I decided to prepare the same. 

** As I was sorting out the ripe jackfruits by removing the inner seeds etc. hubby comes into kitchen and queries on what I intend to do out of the jackfruit. I said I would prepare ponsa mulika as I had not done it yet this year and that I may as well do and relish them for a few days. Out of the blue he tells me to make it spicy and I for a moment just stopped and looked at him, he challenged me to try something spicy out of the same and left for office. Now, I am not the one to take things lightly and for a full 5 minutes wondered if I could really try it out. Why not ?? what’s the harm. I had coriander and pudina / mint leaves in fridge, so I then and there decided to do sweet and spicy ponsa mulika and give a surprise to him as I knew this would definitely win hearts. You know sometimes you do get intuition if a dish will prepare well before you even try it out.

** The mulika, I must say turned out really yummy and I was glad I tried it out. I kept the basic recipe the same, but added on flavor and spice to the same. I was in for another surprise as this dish that I started to prepare finally ended up into two in one dishes. Yes, you read it right I prepared lovely bhakri with some of the mixture too which was really an accidental trial. As I was deep frying the spicy mulikas, I got a phone call from hubby from office, to come immediately as he had to leave for some outdoor work without delay. I had to stop my deep frying of the mulikas and there was some more mixture that remained. I put it in a dabba / steel box and put it in the fridge, to finish off later that was left halfway. After coming back in the evening I was really not in a mood to again toil in the kitchen, so decided to do the same next morning. 

** Next morning I was all with the intention of preparing omelette, but then I just got an idea and thought why not prepare bhakri out of the remaining mixture. Well rest is history as I will be posting the same next to this recipe posting and I simply loved the bhakri. Both dishes turned out simply awesome, much better than the simple sweet ponsa mulik. Now this dish is sure going to be prepared every season and relished and I must give try to other ideas I have with the ripe jackfruit, if at all they are still available. Do try this out and enjoy with your family and friends. I have kept the spice level slightly higher, but you can make it less spicier if you have young children at home, as they too are sure to enjoy this yummy dish this summer holidays. Let’s now move on to the recipe. 


** Given below is the Recipe for  “Godshe’~Tikshe’ Ponsa Mulika/Sweet~Spicy Ripe Jackfruit Fritters”  .... My own trial of the dish out of seasonal ripe jackfruit that can be relished as snack ..... 

** Ingredients : 
Ripe Jackfruits : 10-12 (sweet or semi sweet one’s) 
Jaggery :100 gms ~ grated Approximately 
Bombay Rava / Semolina : About 300 gms. 
Coconut : About 1 cups freshly grated and only white part. 
Wheat Flour : ½ Cup 
Coriander Leaves : 1 cup fresh leaves only 
Pudina Leaves : 10-12 leaves only. 
Curry Leaves : 5-6 fresh one’s 
Ginger : 1 inch 
Green Chillies : 8-10 (+/- depending upon individual taste) 
Cooking Soda : a pinch 
Salt to taste 

** Oil : for deep frying of the Mulikas / Fritters. 

** Clean the ripe jackfruits. Remove the extra strips that are attached to the pods. Remove the inner seeds along with the cover that is attached to the seed. These seeds are called bikkand and can be used in preparation of curries. Chop the jackfruit into pieces and keep them ready. 

** In the mixer grinder jar add in the jackfruit pieces, keeping aside a handful for adding in later on to the mixture. Grind to a coarse paste without adding water. Remove it into a wide steel bowl. Add in the retained jackfruit to it and keep it aside. 

** Add into the grinder the coriander leaves, pudina leaves, chillies cut into pieces and curry leave along with ginger cut into pieces too. Grind to a paste sprinkling just a little bit of water. Remove the paste and add it to the jackfruit mixture in the bowl and keep it aside. 

** Add in the coconut along with grated jaggery and grind to a paste, taking care to see that the jaggery has mixed in well. You can add some water only if necessary. Add this also to the mixture kept read aside. Add one cup of water into the mixer and gently clean the mixer vessel and add this water to the mixture too. 


** Add in the wheat flour and half the amount of the rava and mix well. Add salt to taste and the cooking soda, a little bit of water and mix well. Add in the remaining rava after checking the consistency and the spice level of the mixture. The mixture should be exactly like that of ponsa mulika which we prepare. 

** When you take about a tablespoon of the mixture in hand, you should be able to bind them and give a round shape without them cracking up. Keep it aside for 10-15 minutes. Then prepare lemon sized balls from the mixture and keep them ready aside. 

** Meanwhile heat plenty of oil in a wide thick bottomed kadai, when the oil is hot enough, lower the heat to medium and add in the prepared mixture balls one by one. Do not over crowd the kadai, there should be plenty of oil around the balls for them to get evenly fried and browned. So fry them in batches. 

** Once you add in some of the prepared mixture balls, do not touch them with a spatula or try moving them or stirring them. There are changes that the balls will break and open up, so let them fry for some 4-5 minutes untouched on medium heat, then gently stir them with a holed spatula. Rotate all the balls, taking care and seeing that they don’t break up. After another 3-4 minutes you can overturn them nicely and fry them till they turn golden brown. 

** Remove the prepared spicy mulika / fritters on an absorbent paper. Repeat process with the remaining mixture balls. Once all are done, allow them to cool completely and then store them in air tight containers. They remain good for some days, at least for 4-5 days provided they remain without getting emptied. 


** “Godshe’~Tikshe’ Ponsa Mulika/Sweet~Spicy Ripe Jackfruit Fritters” is done and ready to be served. Serve this as snack during tea time or along with some upma or dosa during breakfast. You can also relish them just as it is when you want to relax and take break. Do try this unique dish of mine that I tried on my hubby’s insistent and that which turned out really awesome. 

** Note : I have also prepared Bhakri out of the same mixture which I have made into a separate post. There is no change in the ingredients or method of mixture, as I used the same mixture for preparing the Bhakri. The Bhakri can be prepared and served as break fast item along with some butter, tastes awesome. Sort of 2 dishes from one mixture. 

** You can also check up on the link given below of traditional sweet version of the making of ponsal mulika, which is a very famous item from the Konkani Saraswat Cuisine. 

** You can use the search option for "Ripe Jackfruit or Ponosu" where you will get many more dishes prepared using it. Do try out various types of dishes from Blog and Enjoy the dishes with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible. 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of similar type in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. You can also go to my page (add on the left side of blog) and leave a message and I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible … Thank you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.