Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Prawns (Sungata) & Prawn Head Curry With Tree Sorrel(Bimbul).


“Prawns And Prawns Head Curry with Tree Sorrel~Asafoetida~Coconut Oil / Sungatache Hinga Uddaka ani Bimbul ghalnu randai (Hummana) with Narlela Tela”... A Delicious~Aromatic~Spicy Konkani Curry from Konkani Saraswath’s Cuisine ... Goes well with Rice ... Totally Yumz ...... 

** As I have already included the recipe for Prawns fish curry with Asafoetida before I will just add on the link to the same. I have included this as a separate post coz. I have prepared the curry using prawns head too, but separately. As I mentioned before this is one curry that appeals the most to all fish eaters / lovers specially children. Mostly the head portion is removed and discarded while preparing the curry unless you are able to get large sized prawns. Small sized prawn head curry is usually not prepared as it cannot be retained nor cleaned properly. Today my fish vendor had large sized prawns and that is the sole reason I could prepare this curry too. It has really been a long time since I prepared the curry using the head portion as in my vicinity I have to tell them prior if I need the same and I always forget. Today somehow I chanced to get it and was really happy as the prawns were quite large in size, so I could prepare the curry out of the head portion too. 


** Prawns head curry was one of my Father’s favorite dish and he always insisted that mom prepare the same whenever he was able to get large sized prawns. You really need medium to large sized prawns for the curry as otherwise the same will not hold well in single piece and also small once cannot be cleaned well. The tip of the head, where the eyes lie is trimmed off so also the many legs that the prawns have. The shell / jacket should just be loosened and cleaned within and not discarded. It is difficult to explain the cleaning procedure and I always suggest my readers that one should learn it from any person whom you know and can give you a visual explanation well. As many a times, pictures or videos do not actually do justice and the small points are always kept ringing in the mind to which no answers are obtained. So ask a helpful relative or neighbor to help you out the first time if your are new to this one and there is nothing more privileged than that.
 

** The recipe remains the same as that given in the link below. I have used Tree Sorrel / Bimbul here so have not added tamarind to the curry. As mentioned in the recipe you can use any souring item to the curry as per your choice and availability of the same. I would like to specify here that mostly the two curries are prepared separately and not combined though they are same in making. This is so because some do not like to eat the head part but eat the flesh part of the fish while some simply love both of them. It is a matter of choice, so in order to not confuse the eater it is done separately. Actually, to be frank this is how my Mom prepared and I have followed her method though in my home we relish both. Having said this there is no harm in preparing both together as one dish, but I never have till date and kept them separate. So I leave it to you to chose the style of preparation. 


** Preparation of the curry remains same, just divide the masala and boil them in two separate vessels, once they come to boil, add in the tree sorrel / bimbul in both and cook on medium heat till they are cooked and then add in one the flesh fish portion and in the other the cleaned head portion. Continue cooking for 3-5 minutes, add in the prepared hing water and coconut oil and remove from fire. Keep them covered aside for some time for the infusion of flavors. Do try out the head portion curry of prawns they impart some sweetness to the curry and the fish curry turns out really aromatic and delicious. The same can be relished both with rice or some Bombay pav. My husband simply loves this curry with Pav instead of rice. Given below here is the link to the original prawn curry recipe which remains the same. Do try out this recipe as per my suggestion by cooking them separately, at least the first time so that you come to know the liking of each one in your family for this curry. 

** For the "Prawn Curry with Asafoetida~Coconut Oil" Recipe, Please follow the link given below .... 

** For “Cooking Rice Starch Free / Vanu ghalnu SheetHa” … Rice cooked and the water is drained off to remove excess starch. The rice remains well cooked without sticking to each other … Do try this formula / method of cooking as it is very healthy. 

** Here is the link to the Recipe ..... 

** You can use the search option for "Prawns or Fish" where you will get many more dishes prepared using it. Do try out various types of dishes to relish with dosa / Idly / roti etc. or with dal-chawal too. Enjoy the dishes with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible. 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of similar type in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. You can also go to my page (add on the left side of blog) and leave a message and I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible … Thank you. I have also started a food group for "Konkani Saraswats" by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" the link of which is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring". 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.