Monday, May 28, 2018

Prawn Amto.


"Prawn Amto" ... A Goan Side Prawn Curry prepared using Raw Mangoes (Ambuli) ... A delicious appetizer sort of side dish that I relished for dinner with peja, yes it tastes yumz along with our own "Ukde Tandla Peja (Red Boiled Rice Porridge) ... Something different and great to relish hot at dinner time … Yummilicious … 

** As I mentioned this is a Goan side prawn curry prepared using raw mangoes when in season. The raw mangoes ie ambuli should be slightly sweetish sour to get the curry into the right aromatic flavor. The Recipe Credit goes to my friend Jessie D'Souza who had posted them a few days back in my food group “Konkani Delicacies”. I was very eager to try it out as I always like to try out those dishes that appeal to my eyes on first glance. This was one such dish, as her presentation and click was so perfect that I knew I had to do it. ... 

** Thanks Jessie we loved it very much. Jessie D’Souza is a very famous food lover having her own famous food Blog “Celebrations In My Kitchen”. There are awesome dishes in her Blog and it’s a pleasure to see her enthusiasm towards preparation of all types of food. I have not made any changes in the recipe and it remains the same. . I am also sharing her link for other information of this curry which she has given in detail. The link is posted at the bottom of the recipe, please do checkout the same. 

** I just added in a few curry leaves once the onions were translucent and that’s it. However, the next time round, I want to try with addition of some other spices and a little bit of coconut to add in a little bit of bulk to the gravy. I have an intuition that it will turn out great too. This round however I wanted to follow the recipe as it is the Goa’n style. I am sure there are many more options using raw mangoes and fish curry which I will be including soon, well as long as the season lasts. 

** Here is the simple recipe to “Prawn Amto” Jessie’s Style ……. 

** Ingredients: 
Prawns / Sungata / Yetti / Kolimbi : 250-300 grams (shelled and deveined) 
Raw Mango / Ambuli / Kairi / Mavina kayi (slightly ripe) : 1 Medium sized 
Onion / Kanda / Piyavu : 1 large sized onion (sliced or chopped) 
Green chillies / Tarni Mirsanga / Hirvi Mirchi : 6-8 spicy one’s (slit or cut into pieces) 
Turmeric / haldi powder : ¼ tsp 
Coriander / Dhania / Kothimbir leaves : 1 tblsp finely chopped 
Curry Leaves / Kadipatta / Karbevu : 5-6 
Water : ¼ to ½ cup 
Oil : 1 tablespoon 
Salt to taste. 


** Wash the deveined prawns in plenty of water, apply a pinch of salt mix well and keep it aside ready. 

** Peel off the outer skin of the mango and cut it into three pieces or more if desired retaining the middle seed section. Season with salt and keep this ready aside too. 

** In a thick bottomed kadai / pan add in the oil and bring to heat when hot add in the onions and fry till they are soft and translucent. 

** Now add in the curry leaves, green chilly pieces, turmeric powder, mango pieces along with the seed and water. Mix well, cover and cook on low heat till the mangoes are done. 

** Note : I have increased the number of green chillies as the one’s at home were not spicy, also in my home we prefer to have a little bit spicier fish dishes. You can use your own judgment while adding in the chillies. 

** Note : Do not add more water, I added in ½ cup by mistake and it was more and my curry texture turned slightly thinner. 

** Once the mangoes are cooked mushy it is time to add in the prawns, salt to taste and cook for another couple of minutes. 

** Note : Be careful with addition of salt as we have already applied the same to both mangoes and prawn. So check before adding in more. 

** Allow the prawns to cook, it hardly takes time for prawns to cook, say just a 2-3 minutes. Do not overcook or it turns like rubber. Lastly garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves, remove from fire and keep it covered aside for the flavors to seep in for 5-10 minutes. 

** "Prawn Amto" is done and ready to be served. I served it with ukde tandla peja (Red Boiled Rice Porridge) as it was mentioned by some of her friends that it tastes yummy as a side dish with peja. In all a delicious curry, best served piping hot at dinner time. Enjoy this one with your family and friends. 

** You can check up of Jessie D’Souza Recipe too, I am sharing her link below ….. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.