Thursday, May 24, 2018

Pomfret (Pamplet / Manji) Pepper Masala Fry.


"Small Pomfret (Pamplet / Sani Manji) Pepper Masala Fry" ... This one is exclusively for fish lovers ... My own concoction of Andhra Style fish fry with a touch of South Indian Style … Tastes simply awesome … Enjoy ..... 

** Fish curry or fish fry is a delight for fish eaters/lovers who enjoy relishing them in meals. In my home too we love fish curry though we are not everyday eaters of the same. We enjoy our fish food once a week or so and many a times I end up doing both curry and fries. Fish is considered good for health and Dr. advice not to stop eating fish if you have eaten them in your growing up years. A body usually adapts to what you eat through childhood and that food is what it is comfortable with. In Konkani Saraswat’s there are many who do not eat fish and I was relieved when I got married that my hubby simply loved Non-Veg food. Well he loves all food that is cooked well be it veg or non-veg. but fish is something he is very partial towards. There was a time when we had stopped eating fish for spiritual reasons. Though hubby was reluctant of my decision, he joined me which I regret to date for having made him go through it like a punishment. We stopped eating the same for almost 3 long years and would have continued it too, had I not fallen pray to health issues.

** It was when I started developing bone problems / calcium decrease and also Vit. D def. that my Dr. asked me in detail my eating habits and I told him the truth. He clearly told me I myself had let my health go for a toss by not exercising enough and stopping that which food which my body was used to from childhood. He also said that going vegetarian is fine, but then certain substitutions have to be increased to compensate for that loss and I had not taken care of that. Now I am not an dietitian, so what do I know of it. He gave me file to read through and I was more confused. Finally, my hubby intervened and asked Dr. what if we start including fish back into our diet and that is how the story ends. Hubby happily came home, giving me a grin which said, I told you not to do it and I had nothing to say for the first time. This was way long back and now it’s more than 4 yrs since we included it back into our diet and bingo health is on progress. So to all who take drastic steps / decision on food do consult your Dr. before goofing like me. 

** Ok, now let’s move on to the part of the recipe, pepper fry is the latest be it in veg.food or non.veg, I have come across many dishes in the menu card for some year now in the restaurants that mention them. Now there was no such dish called pepper fry in Konkani Saraswat’s Cuisine and till I relish the same how would I know exactly what it was. So I decided to try out the same in a south Indian restaurant and I was hooked on to the taste. The taste of pepper, the aroma that lingers in it are all such a welcome from our routine fry method. I prepared this many a times but somehow never got to blog either due to faulty pictures or not getting to click at all. Since the fry is slightly darker in looks it is difficult for me to get a good click as I am not an expert in photography. So this time somehow I managed a better one and here is the recipe for all of you fish lovers there. Do try out, it tastes simply awesome, this is actually cross recipe that I created from Andhra and South Indian concoction and its Yumz. 

** Here is the Recipe to my own concoction of "Small Pomfret (Pamplet / Sani Manji) Pepper Masala Fry" ... My Style ..... 

** Ingredietns : 
Pomfret / Pamplet / Mangi : 4-6 small sized one’s. 

** Masala to be Ground : 
Kashmiri Red Chilly Powder : 2 tsp 
Coarsely Ground Pepper Powder : 3 tblsp 
Putani / Roasted Bengal Gram : 1 heaped tblsp 
Garlic / Losun / Lehesun : 8-10 Cloves 
Turmeric / Haldi Powder :1 tsp 
Curry Leaves / Kadi Patta / Karbev : about 10 fresh one’s 
Coriander / Kothimbir / Dhania Leaves : one handful chopped fine. 
Vinegar : 1 tblsp 
Kala Namak / Rock Salt : ½ - 1 tsp (Option, you can use any salt, I used Kala Namak) 

** For Garnishing : 
Few Lemon rings and Onion rings. 

** Oil for shallow frying : 2-3 tblsp 


** Wash and clean the Pomfret fish. Remove the side fins and clean the inner stomach, also trim off the top side near the head and eyes. Make gashes on both sides of the body of the fish to apply the masala properly too. You can check up on the picture posted or you may prepare the same as you always do, it does not matter. In Mumbai, our fish vendor does that for us and all we have to do is clean them in plenty of fresh water. 

** Add all the ingredients for the masala in a mixer grinder and grind to a smooth paste with about half a cup of water. Do not add more of water, we need a thick but smooth paste. Again, you can check up on the picture attached. The masala besides the fish is the ground paste. That much masala is more than enough for 6-8 small sized pomfrets. 

** Apply the masala paste all over the fish making sure that you insert some of the masala within the gashes on the sides of the fish. Apply liberally the masala all over the fish and keep this aside covered in cool place for about 25-30 minutes. I kept the marinated fish in the fridge for an hour as I find that convenient and also the masala stick on better to the fish. 

** Heat the oil in the fish frying flat pan and bring on to heat. When the oil is smoking hot, lower the heat, run a smooth hand over the fish and remove any excess masala if any. There should just be a thin layer of the masala over the fish and put it immediately onto the oil. Raise the heat to medium and fry undisturbed for 2-3 minutes. And then flip over the fish slowly and cook the other side again undisturbed for 2-3 minutes. 

** Check and remove the fish once it cooked and done. Remove gently from pan and place it on an absorbent paper for the excess oil to drain off. Repeat the process with the remaining fish, but do remember to heat the oil well before adding on the fish as this step is absolutely necessary for well fried and tasty masala fish fries. 

** Note : The oil should be hot while frying the fish, also the masala applied fish should always be put into hot oil and let undisturbed for frying as disturbing or stirring the fish makes the masala get dropped into the oil, while otherwise it sticks well to the fish. Also follow the same method once you flip the fish. Fish does not take much time to get cooked and since these are small sized pomfret they do get cooked fast. 

** Again do not keep the heat too high in which case the masala may get burnt nor too low where in case the masala will drop, so remember to heat it to smoking point and then lower to medium and the fish cooks fine. Also this is masala fish and is actually not dusted / coated with rava or rice flour as it looses taste if done so. If you want it crisp just raise the heat slightly for a few seconds towards the end of frying. 


** "Small Pomfret (Pamplet / Sani Manji) Pepper Masala Fry" is done and ready to be served. Always serve fish fry hot from the pan. Fish tastes best when it served very hot and is relished as a side dish along with some other dishes during lunch/dinner. You can also serve this as a starter, though I served it for lunch along with our own amchi Dalitoy (Spiced Tuvar Dal) and SheetHa (Rice). 

** A delicious fish fry for all my friends who are fish lovers. Do try this out and enjoy with your family and friends. I am sure they will love it. Do let me know via email or comment here, it helps in improving my dishes and also motivates me to make that much more. If you have any particular question too plz. leave it on comment section and I will get back as soon as possible. 

** You can use the search option for “Fish or Non-Veg” where you will get many more dishes prepared in different styles and masalas. Do try out various types of dishes to relish with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible. 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of similar type in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. You can also go to my page (add on the left side of blog) and leave a message and I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible … Thank you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.