Thursday, May 10, 2018

Pepper~Green Masala Egg Ghee Roast.


“Pepper~Green Masala Egg Ghee Roast” … Delicious spicy dish that can be combined with panpolo, roti, paratha, poori, mildly spiced pulav or ghee rice … Tastes simply yumz … Enjoy ....

** Ghee roast is actually a dish, the masala of which is roasted in ghee and cooked till done on very low flame. Ghee roast dish originated from Kundapura a place in coastal side of Karnataka State famous for Non-Veg eatery. From there it was followed over by the coastal side restaurants till Mangalore and further. Many a hotels specialized in this dish specially using chicken. I had tasted this in many well known restaurants in Mangalore and thought the dish was just good, but personally neither my husband nor me fell flat for it. The masala was either too spicy or raw or burnt and the only thing that stuck to the tongue was a spicy coating of masala that was dipped in ghee and that turns out to be a displeasure. I always wondered at the fascination people had for this dish and it only led me to think that so many of them cannot be wrong, maybe it was my bad luck that the one’s served to me had not turned out well or maybe the cook was just hurrying or I had simply chosen the wrong eatery. Whatever the reason, I never attempted this dish later on till once again few years back when I stayed over in Mangalore for a few days while attending a function. This time we stayed right in the center of the city as we had a few days and I wanted to roam round my home town and show hubby all those places that I grew up visiting.

** As we were roaming round, I noticed a small eatery that was so cramped with people and all of them coming out with satisfaction written large on their faces. The board mentioned fish and non veg hotel, but I was a bit skeptical as there was nothing much of neatness from outside. Now, Mangalore is not new to me, I just pulled aside one lady and made queries and she told me they served the best Non-Veg in town there. I asked her to name a few good dishes and she gave me 4-5 names and one of them was ghee roast. My hubby was not game to venturing in that cramped place and said let’s go, but I insisted that I will go in and check out. Well I came out gleefully with 3 dishes packed and told hubby that it was clean inside but since he did not want to go in I had packed the same and we could relish them in our hotel room in leisure. The chicken ghee roast was really delicious and that was the time I liked it. Finally, the Mystery of Ghee Roast was cracked, now it was all about getting the right recipe as in Mumbai, I don't think it is easily available. Maybe now we do get, but I am not aware as I do not venture out much. Also, I would still prefer to cook it at home as too much of ghee is added on which is not at all healthy and also you will need to wash my hands with soap three times.

** Again I would like to mention here clearly that I have not written this here to offend anybody but my experience. I repeat, I may have gone to wrong places and not known the correct ones so do excuse for the ignorance. I have already posted Spicy Chicken Ghee Roast, before which was very close to what I ate. Today I decided to prepare Ghee roast but with green masala instead of the red masala. I was all game to go and buy the chicken when coz. of a phone call hubby and had to go out on some work and I had to hurry with my work and reach the office, before he could leave. He just gave me an hour to finish all my work and be at office. Now I had already ground the masala and done half of the preparations, so I had to do something fast. Eggs, yes they have always come to my rescue whenever there were crisis. That is why I always stock up on eggs and advice all of you to do the same, if you eat non-veg. they are indeed life savers. So to cut short, I prepared the dish I wanted to do with chicken with eggs. The next time round I will definitely try this dish out with chicken as the egg version turned out excellent. I am sure chicken will turn out even better.

** Here is the Recipe to “Pepper~Green Masala Egg Ghee Roast” My Style ... My own Version, My Style ...

** Ingredients :
Eggs / Andey / Motto : 3 - 4
Onions / Kanda / Piyav : 2 medium sized + 1 large sized
Tomato : One large sized
Curry Leaves : 6-8 fresh one
Garam Masala Powder : 1 tsp
Jeera / Cumin Seed Powder : ½ tsp
Fennel Seed / Badisep / Saunf Powder : ½ tsp
Black Pepper Powder : 1 tblsp coarsely powder (+/- as per individual taste)
Salt to taste
Ghee / Toop : 3 + 1 tblsp

** For the Masala to be Ground :
Coriander Leaves : 2 cups of picked leaves only.
Coconut : ½ cup freshly grated.
Cashew Nuts : 8-10
Green Chilly / Tarni Mirsanga : 3-4
Garlic / Losun : 4-5 cloves
Ginger / Adrak / Alle’ : ½ inch cut into pieces
Curry Leaves / Kadipatta / Karbevu : 5-6
Tamarind / Imli / Chincham : one large pinch
Ghee / Oil : 1 tbslp

** Hard boil the eggs, shell them and give some cuts on the surface with knife just slightly. Keep them ready aside. I have included the Method of preparing perfect hard boiled eggs before and for those who are not aware can check up on the same. A perfect hard boiled egg should not have the bluish ring on the surface of the yolk within. Check the link given at the bottom of this recipe for the same.

** Peel off the skin of the onions. Cut the medium sized 2 onions into cubes of one inch size and the other one large sized onion into fine pieces. Keep them separately ready aside.

** Wash, wipe and cut the tomatoes into rings. Keep them ready aside.

** For the Masala to be Ground : Heat the ghee / oil in a thick bottomed pan, when hot, lower the heat. Add in the ginger, garlic, curry leaves, green chillies all cut into pieces along with the cashew nuts and fry for 3-4 minutes. Remove from fire and then add in the tamarind, coconut and coriander leaves and mix all well together.

** Add the ingredients into a mixer grinder and grind to a very fine paste with little bit of water. You should get thick fine ground paste. Remove and keep this ready aside. Add one cup of water to the mixer grinder and mix well with the paste remnants and keep this aside. We call it actually ragado dullele uddaka which is always used for adding on to the curry.

** Now for cooking of ghee roast : In a thick bottomed kadai add in 3 tblsp of ghee, when hot lower the heat to medium and add in the finely chopped onion and fry till it is light brown in colour. Now lower the heat to minimum and immediately add in the onions cut into cubes and mix well. Continue frying on low heat for 3-4 minutes or till the onions turn translucent.

** Now add in the curry leaves and fry for a second followed by pepper powder, garam masala, fennel powder and jeera powder. Fry all for 2-3 minutes on low heat. If you find the masala getting burnt, sprinkle some grinder washed water and continue frying. Now add in the green masala ground and kept ready aside and mix all well together. Continue frying on low heat for 2-3 minutes.

** Now add in the grinder washed water (about 1 cup), salt to taste and mix well. Cook on medium heat till it comes to a boiling consistency. Lower the heat and simmer till the curry thickens. Once the curry has thickened properly add in the tomato rings and mix well. Add in the hard boiled eggs, cover and cook for another 5 minutes on low heat. Stir once of twice in between to avoid the masala getting burnt.

** Remove from fire and add in the remaining one tablespoon of ghee on top of the curry and keep it covered aside for 15-20 minutes for all the flavors to get seeped in properly. You can also add in a tablespoon of fresh homemade butter instead of ghee at the end, but since in this recipe to justify the name, we use fresh homemade ghee throughout and make it truly ghee roasted in every sense.

** “Pepper~Green Masala Egg Ghee Roast” is done and ready to be served. This delicious spicy dish can be served along with panpolo, roti, paratha, poori, mildly spiced pulav or ghee rice. Tastes awesome, I served the same with simple jeera rice. Do prepare and relish this egg curry if you are fond of eggs with your family and friends.

** Please Note: You can increase or decrease the number of green chillies and also the amount of black pepper powder, to suit your taste and that of your people at home. The green chillies I added were spicy and Pepper powder was freshly pounded by me out of fresh dried pepper corns and that too was higher on spice level. Please do use your judgment in addition of spice level.

** For “Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs” "Egg" Recipes, Please follow the links given below ….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.