Monday, May 14, 2018

Crispy~Spicy Urad Dal (Black Gram Dal) Poori.


“Crispy~Spicy Urad Dal (Black Gram Dal) Poori” served with "Potato~Capsicum Cashew Nut & Milk Curry" … An delicious~aromatic crispy poori that goes very well when served with any sides dishes or can be even relished as it is … This is my own take off on poori by mixing and matching a few ingredients along with some spices … Yummy Yumz … 

** This Crispy~Spicy Urad Dal Poori, is my own method of preparing crispy aromatic poori that can be relished as it is as a snack or with some side dishes too. Tastes awesome both ways. Biscuit rotti is a famous stuffed poori prepared using ground urad dal and is loved by one and all in our community. Konkani Saraswat Cusine is well known for many exclusively prepared dishes likes, buns, biscut rotti, goli bajo, cabbage ambado, mooga dali usli etc. which have a standard way of preparation. There are many more dishes, specially pickles without the addtion of oil that is famous among konkani’s. Most of the recipes are already posted while some traditional methods have yet to be Blogged. 

** My life after marriage has been too busy as I had our business commitments that could not be overlooked and hence I hardly found time for anything else. But, being a foodie I always craved for yummy food and somehow squeezed in the time to read and prepare many dishes. Biscuit rotti was my fav. And I always loved it and prepared the same often. But I always found dosa, idly or any dish that required soaking, then grinding and preparing a tedious task those days, as I could not spare that much time and it would tire me out and not allow to concentrate on job. But my desire to prepare new dishes made me take short cuts and create new dishes that were both yummy and could be prepared whenever, I needed or whenever guests dropped by unannounced. 

** This Urad Dal Poori was my own discovery by trial and eror which I prepared about 15 yrs back and have been now following for years. Last few years coz. of blogging of newer dishes, I really do not get to prepare those dishes that I used to prepare years back and that which was relished at home. Going through my diaries jolts memories and I than can’t stop myself till I prepare and enjoy the same again. Somehow, giving Konkani touch to recipes have always been a sort of hobby with me. I guess, deep down my Manglorean roots are the very cause for the same. I somehow do not relish dishes with much of Garam Masala or other hot spices and cannot digest the same, so does my hubby. We both love Konkani Cuisine the best, though we are game to eating any delicious food that comes our way. 

** We are more of hing / asfoetida person when it comes to spicing of poori. So when I had come across many urad poori with garam masala, it did not appeal to me. Also those days, there was no online food channels etc. we followed cookery books, some of which did not even have a picture enclosed for all the dishes, yet the recipes were good. I had almost about 2 cupboard full of cookery books, some of which I disposed recently and many of which I still have. Though I do not get time, to even glance at them, I have kept them along with my other books like novels, spirituals etc. as I simply love books and can’t think of disposing them. They are of no much use now as world has become reachable via. Net and google has everything you need, just a click away. 

** But trust me there are some very old dishes that are simple and really yummy out there in the books. It is simply not a statement when said that Old is Gold, it really is. I intend to dig my nose into the books and retreat some of those long lost dishes and prepare them giving a face lift of my own to suit our needs at home. Even here in this recipe, I changed the soaking of urad dal method to roasting and powdering as a trial and it clicked. I was bowled over by the taste of this poori the first time and have stuck to it for years now. These are crispy poori’s that can be taken on travel too, remains good for a day. Children will love to have and so will your family and friends at gatherings. Try it out, tastes simply yumz. 

** Note : I have made a separate post of prepation of roasting and powdering method of urad dal / udidache hurna as it is inclued in preparation of many dishes like chakuli, tinglodu, poori etc. I am enclosing the link to the preparation method of the same for those of you who cannot get them ready in stores like me. I never buy them and prepare and store in fridge the same. You may purchase if available or follow the method given at the bottom of the recipe. 

** Here is my Recipe for “Crispy~Spicy Urad Dal Poori” My own Style …….. 

** Ingredients : 
Wheat Flour / Atta / Govan Peeta : 1 cup 
Roasted Urad Dal / Black Gram Dal Flour / Udidache Hurna : 2 tblsp 
Fine Rava / Sooji / Chiroti Rava : 2 tblsp 
Maida / APF : ¼ cup 
Dhania / Coriander / Kothimbir Powder : 1 tsp 
Jeera / Cumin Powder : ½ tsp 
Ajwain / Oam / Vovo : a pinch 
Haldi / Turmeric Powder : ½ tsp 
Kashmiri Red Chilly Powder : 1 tsp 
Hing / Asafoetida Powder : 1 tsp 
Green Chillies / Hirvi Mirchi / Tarni Mirsang: 2 finely chopped. 
Curry Leaves / Kadi Patta / Karbev : 4-5 finely chopped. 
Coriander / Dhania / Kothimbir Leaves : 2 tblsp finely chopped. 
Hot oil : 2 tblsp 
Salt to taste 

** Oil for Deep Frying 


** In a wide bowl add in the wheat flour, maida, rava and roasted urad dal powder and mix well. See to it that they are all mixed properly, you can also sieve them both together to get them mixed evenly. 

** Now add in salt to taste, red chilly powder, ajwain, haldi powder, hing powder, dhania powder and jeera powder to the above mixture and again mix them all loosely together to get evenly mixed dry ingredients. This step of mixing powder items is very important, so do not skip the procedure. 

** Once the dry flours and powders have all been well mixed add in the finely chopped green chillies, curry leaves and coriander leaves. Roughly mix them all. Now add in the hot oil and mix all the ingredients in the bowl well making it into a crumble texture. The oil should be well merged with the ingredients and they should be evenly crumble. 

** Now add in half a cup of water and mix all well by kneading to form a very stiff dough. Keep adding little by little water till you are able to form the stiff dough. Do not add water in one go. We need a very stiff dough. Once the dough has been rolled into a ball consistency by kneading well, keep it covered aside for just about 5-10 minutes. 

** Now knead the dough again and roll it into a long roll like rolling pin evenly. This always helps in getting even sized poori dough balls for rolling. With the help of a knife cut them into even sized cuts. Apply some oil on hand and spread a light hand on the cut pieces of dough. This ensures they do not dry up and also helps in rolling without dusting. 

** Roll out the each ball evenly into a 3.5 to 4 inch dia circle, taking care to see that they are evenly rolled. The poori should always be rolled evenly. They should not be too thick nor too thin, as both will not give desired results. The poori should be slightly thicker than the roti, that’s all. Also with practice, you will learn to roll them evenly. 


** While you start rolling the poori, keep a kadai / pan with plenty of oil on full heat, once it comes to smoking point, lower the heat to medium and wait for a few minutes. Meanwhile, you can roll the poori and keep them ready to be deep fried. Once the required number of poori are rolled and ready check the heat level of oil in kadai. 

** Note : For checking if the oil is hot enough, Just add in a pinch of the dough into the oil, if it hits the bottom and comes back sizzling the heat is correct for deep frying. If the dough does not bounce back and takes more time that means the oil is not hot enough and if it bounces back but comes out dark or burnt that means the oil is too hot. Always remember, the correct heat level throughout deep frying of poori is very important to get well puffed and well cooked poori. 

** Now slide in one poori gently into the hot oil, once it comes back sizzling, keep pressing it gently on sides with little pressure with a long handled spatula that has holes in it, this enable the poori to blow up from within and puff up evenly and nicely. Once if puff up, wait for a few seconds and then gently flip it to cook on the other side. Wait for a few seconds for the other side to be cooked too, then again flip it back and after just 1-2 second gently remove it with the holed spatula allowing excess oil to drain back into the kadai. 

** Note : This poori sometimes does not puff up fully into a ball due to the ingredients like chilli and curry leaves etc. added on into the same. They sometimes create small holes while rolling which does not enable the poori to get puffed up properly. Also these are crisp pooris so they are more flat in texture. 

** Note : You can check up on the step by step pictures posted elsewhere on poori recipes. If still not confident or not sure always check up once for the procedure from your willing neighbor who knows it or on You Tube. Getting to learn firsthand from your family is always the best way, as you will be witnessing the procedure yourself. 

** Now repeat the process with other rolled out poori by deep frying them exactly as before. Maintain the heat at the same temperature throughout the process of deep frying. It is very important to have constant heat. 


** “Crispy~Spicy Urad Dal Poori are done and ready to be served. Serve these poories with any bhaji or side dish of your choice. I served them for bf with Potato~Capsicum Cashew Nut & Milk Curry which I had some leftover from before and they tasted yumz. But I also relished them as it is as a snack in the evening when my friend had dropped in for some chit chat. She simply loved this poori and went away only after noting down the full recipe. 

** This is really a very delicious ~ aromatic poori that will be loved by one and all. You can serve these for your get together with friends too. Enjoy these poori fresh and piping hot direct from kadai or even in lunch box or at tiffin time, they taste great anytime anyhow. Children will love these very much, and so will their friends as it is holidays and they are always craving for yummy dishes after tiring out by playing around. Enjoy and do drop in a feedback if possible. 

** For the “Preparation of Urad Dal Flour / Udidache Hurna” Method, Please follow the link given below …… 

** For the “Potato~Capsicum Cashew Nut & Milk Curry” Recipe, Please follow the link given below …. 

** You can use the search option for "Poori" where you will get many more different varieties of the same posted before. You can also check them for some detailed pictures and photos if you are novice and want to learn. Do try out various types of dishes and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible. 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of similar type in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. You can also go to my page (add on the left side of blog) and leave a message and I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible … Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.