Thursday, May 3, 2018

Bhel Puri / Chaat With Kabuli Chana & Raw Mango.


"Mixed Bhel Puri / Chaat With Kabuli Chana & Raw Mango" ... Khatta MeetHa Teekha Sunday Snack ... I kept aside some of the cooked kabuli chana to prepare this bhel ... I have also added palak sev (store bought), roasted peanuts, onions, carrots etc. In all a lovely time pass snack to drive away boredom while watching Dumb TV show .... 

** My Bhel / Chaat / Chanbure Upkari recipes are almost common except for the mix and match of the ingredients. I just throw in whatever is available in my kitchen and prepare these yummy Bhel, which we love as time pass in my home. Bhel or Bhel Puri as all of you know is a common Mumbai Street Fast Food prepared from kurmura / puffed rice that has now enveloped almost all growing cities of India. There are many varieties in preparation of Bhel, with masala, dry masala, curry masalas, just addition of spices, chutney’s etc. These are also known as Chaats in Northern side of the Country to which cooked potatoes or other grams are added in. Other Ingredients included are as per one’s own likings and veggies are sometimes a part of the same. Kurmura is the basic Ingredients that is common in all bhel or chat though nowadays many prepare Bhel out of other puffed pulses too. A favorite of young and old alike, this is a highly recommended food for diet conscious people if done in proper care. Kurmura in itself is low or almost nil in calories, so it is just what you add on as spices and other mixes that count to make it a healthier option. 

** It’s the season of raw mangoes and they go very well with Bhel too when the same is grated and added to it in which case there is no need to add in any other tangy chutney too. I hardly prepare the one’s with chutney and stick to spice powders as I am bit lazy in preparing chutney for bhel. Also Bhel is always prepared to kill boredom in my home so it is always done with whatever is available. When preparing Chole I kept aside some of the cooked chick peas aside as the next day was Sunday and usually the evenings are really boring when there is nowhere to go. Though, I can go for a long ride or so, sometimes I just feel like lazing around in my home doing absolutely nothing. Added to the agony are the boring serials that I have lost interest in following. It been a long time since I caught up with my novels and they are lying there without being read collecting dust. Last few years had not gone good and last year I was too busy with my food group and had to give most of my devoted time to it. 

** Now that things have settled down and are running smoothly, I wish to catch up on my most precious hobby of lifetime, yes reading books, I can just about read anything, but suspense and law related novels are my favorite and I cannot put the book down till I finish it till the end. Sometimes I forget timings and sit through the night reading and have been at the wrath of my Mom and hubby. I literally sat through till 4 O’Clock early morning and Mom who had come to stay over was very furious and so was hubby. Well last 4-5 yrs everything went for a toss due to health reasons and last year it was the group. Now I have brought out a few books, dusted them and kept them ready to catch up my reading, so I decided I would read something and at the same time take a break with Bhel / Chat. Well reading went for a toss as my friend dropped in and Bhel went in all of our tummies, but yes, we enjoyed chit chatting a lot. Happy to get a small break after a long time. One should catch up on the small things life bestows before we miss them completely. 


** Ingredients I used for this "Mixed Bhel Puri / Chaat With Kabuli Chana & Raw Mango" are as follows …. 
Kurmura / Puffed rice / Chanburo : 3 cups 
Cooked Chick Peas / White Whole Bengal Gram : 1 cup 
Carrot / Gajar : 1 large sized grated 
Peanuts / Ground nuts : handful (Roasted) 
Onions : 2 medium sized finely chopped. 
Raw Mango / Kairi : 3-4 tblsp grated. 
Fresh Coriander leaves : handful (Finely chopped) 
Sambar Powder : 1 tblsp 
Kala Namak : As per taste 
OR 
Any Salt to taste 
Chaat Masala : ¼ tsp 
Lemon : ½ 
Hing Powder : 1 tsp 
Coconut Oil : ½ tsp 
Palk Sev (Optional) : ½ cup (Store bought) You can use any sev of your choice. 

** Roast the kurmura if it has turned limp or is not fresh. We need crisp ones. I did not roast as I had them crisp at home. 

** In a large wide bowl add in the finely chopped onions, grated carrots, coriander leaves, cooked chick peas, roasted peanuts, chat masala, salt, sambar powder, grated raw mangoes and toss it well. 

** Heat the coconut oil and add in the hing powder and pour this over the mixed ingredients. 

** Lastly add in the kurmura, palak sev, and toss well. Add in the freshly squeezed lemon juice and mix well. 

** "Mixed Bhel Puri / Chaat With Kabuli Chana & Raw Mango" is done and ready to be served. Serve this Khatta MeetHa Teekha Sunday Snack immediately before it turns limp. Bhel is a chat pata dish that should be eaten freshly prepared or else it goes soggy and is tasteless. So always, prepare the same just before serving and never before hand. Enjoy this with your family and friends and stay healthy. 

** You can use the search option for "Bhel" where you will get many more dishes prepared using it. Do try out various types of Bhel and enjoy the dishes with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible. You can also click on the link below for checking the same. 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of similar type in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. You can also go to my page (add on the left side of blog) and leave a message and I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible … Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.