Friday, March 9, 2018

Ripe Jack-fruit Egg Muffins / Ponsa Egg Cup Cake.


"Ripe Jackfruit Egg Muffins / Ponsa Egg Cup Cake " ... Had been wanting to make these for a long time ... I had ripe~sweet jack-fruits at home, so finally tried them out last evening to celebrate Women's Day and my home was filled with jack-fruit aroma ... The muffins were very soft and spongy and tasted delicious ... Yummy Yumz ....

** A few weeks back I had backed my first muffin / cup cake and was eager to bake more frequently these muffins with different flavors. I have already written how my OTG that 28 yrs old did not bake the top portion evenly. Well before I finally decide what to do with the Oven, I wanted to bake once more to convince myself that I had not done something wrong and that the oven was really conked. Well I had been wanting to try but for some reasons I could not. Finally yesterday being Women’s Day I wanted to try out some dessert or sweet dish. As I was free in the evening I decided to give another try out in the OTG. This time I wanted to bake a muffin with ripe jackfruit as not only I had a box full of the same at home, but I had to finish of the same soon. Jackfruits are still in season and we get cleaned one with just the inner seed ready in Mumbai. In my enthusiasm to prepare some new dishes I had bought 1 kg of the same. Also the added bonus was these jackfruits were sweet and very good in taste too. So, I decided I would try out muffins using them as we all love jackfruits. 

** That’s it I goggled for recipe, but I came across a few eggless once and then a few with eggs, I wanted to prepare using eggs as I find that addition of eggs makes cake much more spongier. Again the recipe were either with atta or maida, I preferred maida as to date I have not eaten a cake with wheat flour / atta and I really have no Idea how it tastes. Then the dilemma was of oil. I had baked a cake few years back with cake and not found the density good though taste wise the cake was yumz. So replaced butter, which again I feel gives better cakes. Then it was confusion whether to add in pieces or pulp. I added both. In all I came about trying out my own recipe and I was really scared as what the result would be and when the muffins began to rise up well and evenly I was glad. But to my dismay again I did not get evenly browned top layer as the oven was I really guess slightly faulty. Except for that the cake was simply scrumptious and the home was filled with a lovely aroma for over 6 hours. I was glad my muffins came out well, but also sad that I have to do away with it and go in for a new one. Well that can be done in time, let me share the recipe now so that all of you can prepare these yummy muffins and enjoy with your family and friends. 

** Ingredients for Ripe Jackfruit Egg Muffins :
Makes 12 regular cup cakes. 

Maida / Refined Flour / APF : 1 cup
Eggs : 2 large size
White Butter / Loni : ½ cup (I used the one prepared at home)
Sugar Powder / Pitti Shakkar : ¾ cup (use 1 cup if the jackfruit is not sweet)
Ripe Jackfruit pieces : 3 + 4 large ones.
Milk : ¼ cup + 1 tblsp (I used Skimmed Cow’s Milk)
Yellow Food Colour : a few drops
Vanilla Essence : 1 tsp
Baking Powder : 1-1/2 tsp
Baking Soda / Cooking Soda : a pinch 
Salt : a pinch 


** Before you start preparing see that you have all the ingredients and they are at room temperature. Butter should be at room temperature too.

** Remember to preheat the oven before you place the cake / muffins for baking. 

** I have used 3+4 ie 7 pieces of large sized ripe jackfruit. 3 jackfruits I deseeded and cut them into small pieces to top the muffins. The other 4 pieces, I deseeded and ground them with the milk into a fine puree. Keep them both ready aside. 

** In bowl sieve the maida, baking powder, soda, salt together 2-3 times. This mixes them uniformly and evenly all over. Keep this ready aside.

** Slightly melt the butter in a microwave for 20 seconds. You can leave this step out. I remember reading somewhere that when slightly melted butter is whisked with egg it mixes fast without curdling. Therefore, I tried. Frankly, I do not have much knowledge of preparation of cakes / muffins etc. I am new to this, but I am just writing down what I did.

** Break the eggs into a large glassware bowl and beat it well with an eggbeater. Halfway through add in the sugar powder and continue until well mixed. Now add in the food color and the melted butter and beat for few seconds, just to mix. Lastly add in the vanilla essence and mix well with a wooden spatula. 

** Now add in the sieved ingredients kept aside little by little and keep mixing the batter. Do not add in all at a time. Keep adding the flour and mixing, till all the sieved flour has been consumed and you get a good evenly mixed mixture. Do mix in high speed or to much. Just mix in gently. 

** Arrange the paper cups in a muffin tray and spoon in about 2 tablespoon into each of them. The batter should be filled upto 2/3rd of the paper cups as the muffins will rise and need space. Top the muffins with a few small pieces of chopped and kept aside ripe jackfruit pieces. 

** Place the muffin tray in the center of the oven and bake it in the pre-heated oven at 180 deg. C for 15-20 minutes or until done. (To check if the muffins are done, a skewer inserted should come out clean). Remove from the oven and leave it to cool on the wire rack.

** Continue the process if the batter has remained. I got 12 in all and I baked them in two batches as my OTG is a small one. 


** “Ripe Jackfruit Egg Muffins / Ponsa Egg Cup Cake” are done and ready to be served. They taste awesome when served fresh with the awesome aroma of jackfruits. You can store them in airtight container at room temperature for a few days. But best consumed within 2-3 days maximum as the muffins have fruit puree in it. 

** Prepare these muffins and share them with your family and friends, you can also send them in your children's lunch box if its allowed in their school or you can keep them ready for them when they reach home hungry from school. You can prepare these during weekends and let your children share them with their friends when they go out to play. They will all simply love it and you will be happy to see their smiling faces.

** You can use the search option for "Cakes or Muffins" where you will get few more cake recipes. Do try out if you and your family love cakes like mine. I always love simple cakes or muffins without the cream or topping of icing. That is why I have avoided them. Also they are not healthy and are loaded with calories.

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of similar type in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. You can also go to my page (add on the left side of blog) and leave a message and I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible … Thank you. I have also started a food group for "Konkani Saraswats" by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" the link of which is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.