Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Grilled ~ Sealed Sandwich with Potato-Tomato-Cucumber-Chutney.


"Grilled ~ Sealed Sandwich with inner filling of Spiced Potato~ Cucumber~ Tomato and Dhania~Kairi Chutney / Coriander Leaves~Raw Mango Chutney” served with Tomato Ketchup (store bought) ... The chatpata flavor of the chutney added more taste to the sandwich … Yummy Yumz .... 

** Sandwiches are a favorite bf dish in my home and there is always green chutney and bread lying in my fridge. These two things in the fridge keep me content knowing that for some reason if I am unable to cook we will not go hungry, just assemble the same and grill it and you have yummy tummy filling sandwiches ready. Sandwiches are a childhood favorite though it was hardly prepared in my Mom’s place, being a part of large family Mom always prepared Idly, Dosa, Upma etc. typical Konkani Saraswat dishes for bf. Studying in Convent and having friends had brought to my notice a dish called sandwich. Those days we did not have much exposure as there was neither TV nor did we have much of friends. What was learnt about cooking was usually by word of mouth by good old aunties or neighbors. 

** Though I was familiar with bread sandwich to me was something new when I saw it in my friends tiffin box when I was in 4th standard. I asked her what was the filling and she graciously offered me a piece. But I was taught in childhood never to eat someone else’s tiffin so I declined and asked her how it was done, well what can you expect 40 yrs back, unlike today’s generation we knew nothing, we just relished what Mom served with love. I went home and explained to Mom and Dad who was listening said not to worry and that he would bring bread home and it would be done. My Mom and Dad never ever said NO to us kids. Mom asked my neighbor who was an expert in these and she said its simple … well rest is history. Whenever there was chutney available at home, I would run out and buy bread and do the sandwich and enjoy. 

** It was much later that grilled sandwiches came about until then it was always open sandwich. A few years later toasted sandwich was in vogue which still is done in some homes and I see them on roadsides too. A square box type with long ladle like tongs in which the sandwich is kept closed and fried over heat / gas by frequently changing the sides. That sandwich too has its own taste and now that I think of it, I must buy it to relish those nostalgic moments once again. Then came the electric sandwich toaster which had a triangular cut edge which grilled the sandwich by cutting it into triangles. Crisp and nice. This was loved by all in my home. After marriage too I had it for many years till it finally conked. Then came on grilling toasters in which you could do much more but that was open grilled sandwich. And now I hear there has come a round cutter sandwich grille. Sigh, I guess man is never satisfied in his innovations when it comes to food. Here I have used the electric grilled sandwich toaster that cuts the bread into triangles. Thanks to my eldest sister Vijaya Bhat for giving me this awesome toaster again recently.


** You can use anything as filling option for these sandwiches that is your favorite, I myself have already added many sandwiches with different types of fillings before in the blog. This time I kept it simple by adding in mashed boiled potato with masalas along with some cucumber and tomato pieces. I also applied “Dhania~Kairi Chutney / Coriander Leaves~Raw Mango Chutney” to the bread from within ... The chatpata flavor of the chutney added more taste to the sandwich … Sharing the link to the chutney at the bottom of the recipe, do try out the same …. 

** Here is the simple Recipe .........

** Wash one or two (depending upon how many sandwiches you want to make) large sized potatoes clean till the skin of the potato does not contain any mud. Put it in a pressure cooker pan along with water that comes to half its level. Cover the lid and pressure cook on high till one whistle, lower heat and cook for 4-5 mins. Now raise the heat and cook for another 3-4 whistles. Remove and allow the potatoes to come to room temperature. 

** Peel the potato skin gently and put it in a bowl and mash well. See to it that there are no large pieces left of the potato, very small one’s are ok. Now add in finely chopped coriander leaves, 3-4 finely chopped green chillies, salt to taste and keep aside. 

** For Tempering : Heat 1 tsp oil, when hot lower the heat and add in a tsp of jeera, 3-4 finely chopped curry leaves, ½ tsp of red chilly powder, pinch of haldi powder, ½ tsp cumin seeds powder, 1 tsp coriander powder, ½ tsp fennel seeds powder, pinch of garam masala powder and fry for a minute. Add this to the mashed potato. 

** Peel off the skin of one small cucumber and chop it to fine pieces. Similarly chop one large sized tomato. Add this also to the mashed potato and now mix all the ingredients together. Do not add in water. You can also mix in one cube of grated cheese to this and mix well. This time however I have not added any cheese. Now the inner mixture is ready. 

** For Assembling the Sandwich : Keep four bread slices on a flat board. Apply any coriander / green chutney of your choice to the bread on one side only. Now take a lemon sized ball of the potato mixture and spread nicely on one slice of the bread. Repeat the same on one more slice. Now two sliced of bread are topped with the potato filling. Invert the other two bread slices on top of it and gently press down. The chutney applied side should be towards the inner side. 

** Now the breads are prepared and ready to be grilled. Brush lightly on top and bottom of the sandwiched bread with melted ghee to get a crisp grilled sandwich, also this will help the bread from getting stuck to the machine though it is Teflon coated. Bring the sandwich toaster to heat, open and place two prepared sandwiches and tightly cover the lid and let grill as per the instructions, it will hardly take 3-4 minutes. Open gently and with the help of tongs loosen the grilled triangular cuts of sandwich and gently put them on a plate. 


** "Grilled ~ Sealed Sandwich with inner filling of Spiced Potato~ Cucumber~ Tomato and Dhania~Kairi Chutney / Coriander Leaves~Raw Mango Chutney” is done and ready to be served. Always serve these sandwiches hot as they tend to get a little bit soggy if kept aside for some time. I served it simply along with Tomato Ketchup (store bought). You can use any coriander chutney to apply for bread. I had this one ready and the chatpata taste that was in the chutney coz. of the addition of raw mangoes made the sandwich much more tastier. 

** You can use the search option for "Sandwich" where you will get many more dishes prepared in different filling combos. Do try out various types of sandwiches and Enjoy with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible. 

**You can also click on the link below for checking the same. 

** You can use the search option for "Chutney" where you will get many more chutney dishes prepared in different veggies and flavors. Do try out various types of chutney and Enjoy with your family and friends as a dish served along with dosa, idly etc. Also do give me a feedback if possible. 

**You can also click on the link below for checking the same. 

** For Dhania~Kairi Chutney / Coriander Leaves~Raw Mango Chutney Recipe, Please follow the link given below ….. 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of similar type in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. You can also go to my page (add on the left side of blog) and leave a message and I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible … Thank you. I have also started a food group for "Konkani Saraswats" by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" the link of which is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.