Monday, March 5, 2018

Brinjal~Tomato Bhaji (Upkari)


“Brinjal~Tomato Bhaji (Upkari)" ... This is a simple Bhaji prepared with Vangi and Tamatar … I just tried this bhaji for fun as I had to finish off the large brinjal / vangi sitting in fridge getting bored wondering when its turn will come ... It’s delicious and very easy to prepare … goes very well as side dish with dal-chawal but also goes very well with roti / chapati … Yummilicious ....

Well there is nothing much to write about this bhaji / upkari as I prepared this just like that without giving in to much thought. I had to finish off the large purple skinned brinja / vangi / vaingana before it collapses and I was simply in no mood for bharta or talasani. Decided to prepare a simple bhaji with hing addition, while my hubby who peeped into the kitchen told me to add in tomatoes too, fine I said, let’s see the outcome of this dish. That is one thing I appreciate about my hubby, he is always supportive be it in our business, my health issues, in cooking or when I need any help or guidance. Also I need not worry very much about the food as I am the fussy one while he enjoys any good food and rarely cribs, but yes he does give me the correct opinion on the dish which helps me very much. So now here is the simple bhaji that I prepare using just vangi and tamatar. 

** Wash one large about 350 gms of Brinjal and cut it to small sized square pieces. Wash 2 large sized Tomatoes and also cut them into small sized square pieces. Both brinjal and tomato pieces should be cut almost of the same size. 

** Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a thick bottomed kadai. Add in 1 tsp of urad dal, when it turns slightly brown add in ½ tsp of mustard seeds, ½ tsp of cumin seeds, 8-10 methi seeds, 8-10 curry leaves and fry well. Now add in a pinch of hald powder, 1 large tablespoon of sambar powder, ½ tsp of garam masala powder, ¼ tsp hing powder and fry for a few seconds. 

** Now lower the heat and add in both the brinjal and tomato pieces cut and kept ready. Mix all together on high heat for a minute. By doing so the water gets arrested within the vegetable and does not turn too mushy. Now lower the heat, cover and cook till almost done stirring often in between. 

** Add salt to taste and a handful of finely chopped fresh coriander leaves and mix well. If there is too much water consistency in the curry raise the heat and cook on high for a few minutes till it become slightly dry. But be careful and keep stirring and watching over the bhaji as to not burn it on the process. Lastly garnish with a few coriander leaves finely chopped, just before serving too. 


** “Brinjal~Tomato Bhaji / Vangi~Tamatar Bhaji” is done and ready to be served. This is a wonderful, simple and awesome bhaji that can be prepared and enjoyed as a side dish either with dal-chawal or with roti. Tastes good with both. I had prepared urad dal-dahi toya and I served this as a dish on thali along with some other items too. I will be posting the same after this please do check up on the thali if you want to prepare an awesome combo dishes. 

** You can use the search option for "Upkari" where you will get many more side dishes prepared using different types of veggies. Do try out various types of dishes to relish with dosa / Idly / roti etc. or with dal-chawal too. Enjoy the dishes with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible. 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of similar type in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. You can also go to my page (add on the left side of blog) and leave a message and I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible … Thank you. I have also started a food group for "Konkani Saraswats" by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" the link of which is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.