Friday, February 23, 2018

Vegetable Sagu Served With Multigrain Atta Poori.


“Vegetable Sagu  Served With Multi-grain Atta Poori” … sagu is a dish that holds a special place in my heart … Whenever Amma prepared poori, I insisted on sagu too, though I liked potato bhaji also … somethings are priceless and one of them is the Poori with Sagu combo, my all time favorite to date … I can relish this for bf, lunch, dinner and in-between too … Amma prepare the best sagu to date and I have learnt to prepare this under her eagle eye watch ... most of my cooking credit goes to her, including this one … Yummilicious ...


** Vegetable Sagu as I mentioned hold’s many fond memories of my childhood. Amma prepared this with poori on Sundays and I simply loved them. She prepared the best sagu and still prepares the best sagu for sure. Mention Sagu or the aroma of the same, would have me bounce off from bed direct to kitchen during childhood. Lol, I was reluctant to even brush my teeth as I wanted to savor the dish immediately and Amma would say either your brush your teeth fast or I won’t give you any. Sigh, childhood memories are so sweet, such carefree days, specially the holidays were real fun. Loads of goodies and yummy dishes all the time. Our’s was a large family of 10 members, had lots of cousins, relatives and lovely neighbors too. We always helped Amma at home in our own little way and Dad too by helping in his office works during holidays. Well me being the youngest of all escaped from lot’s of work as I was the pampered one. Dad always brought home loads of chocolates for me. Bliss, that is what life was then, those day’s will never come back and one day I do intend to write on my childhood and growing up days and about how blessed I was to have such lovely parents despite all of us being girl children.

** Coming to Vegetable Sagu, this is a dish that is prepared almost in every home in Southern parts of India and it is by and large served with poori, though it goes very well with panpolo too. As a matter of fact there are many other dishes that go well with this dish and I will be posting them soon too. Somehow, it had been quite some time since I prepared sagu and for the last 15 days whenever I saw lots of coriander leaves, my desire to have this sagu with poori woul envelop. Finally I prepared the same today, I have always followed my mom’s recipe, though the next time I want to give it a slight tweak. Let’s see, as of now lets prepare the same Mom’s way and enjoy with these poori. I prepared the poori using Mulitgrain Atta / Flour which is freely available in the market, you can use any flour. I will be sharing the link to preparation of perfect poori at the bottom of this recipe, so plz. follow that if you are not sure of the method. Also you can relish this with roti / paratha / chapati / dosa etc. if you are health conscious or for any other reason do not want to prepare poori. 

** Here is the Recipe for Vegetable Sagu Mom’s Way …….. 

** Ingredients : 
Cauliflower Florets : 2 Cups (small cuts) 
Green Peas : 1 cup fresh shelled one’s. 
Carrots : One cup cut to small sized cubes. 
Tomato : 1 medium sized cut to small pieces. 
Curds : 2 tblsp 

** For Masala : 
Cloves / Lavang : 5-6 
Cinnamon / Tike Saal : 1 inch piece 
Cardamom / Ellaichi : 1 
Jeera / Cumin Seeds : ¼ tsp 
Poppy Seeds / Cus Cus : 1 tblsp 
Haldi / Turmeric : ½ tsp 
Green Chilly / Hirvi Mirchi / Tarni Mirsang : 8-10 chopped to pieces 
Garlic / Losun : 3-4 chopped to pieces 
Ginger / Adrak / Alle: 1 inch piece chopped to pieces 
Onion / Kanda / Piyav : 1 medium sized chopped to pieces 
Coconut : 1 cup 
Coriander / Dhania Leaves : 5-6 cups chopped leaves. 
Oil : 3 tblsp 

** For Tempering : 
Onion / Kanda : One large sized chopped fine. 
Garlic : 5-6 chopped fine. 
Curry Leaves : 6-8 
Oil : 2 tblsp 


** Cook the veggies ie cauliflower, carrots and green peas in one cup of water on medium flame till just done. Keep this ready aside. 

** To Grind the Masala : First heat the oil in a thick bottomed kadai and add in the ingredients given in the list above from cloves to ginger and fry for 2 minutes. Now add in the onion and further fry for 2-3 minutes. Lastly add in the coconut and continue to fry for 1 minute. Remove from fire and let cool a little bit. 

** Now add the fried masala into a mixer grinder along with the coriander leaves and grind to a very fine paste. The ground paste should be very fine. Also add in only that much water that is necessary. Remove and keep aside. 

** For Tempering : Heat the oil in a thick bottomed kadai, when hot add in the garlic and fry till the colour changes slightly. Now add in the onion and on medium heat fry till its brown in color. Do not burn it, but the color should be slightly brownish. Now add in the curry leaves and mix well. 

** Add the ground paste into the kadai and mix well. Add in tomatoes and a cup of water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and cook covered till the tomatoes are almost done. Now add in the cooked vegetables along with the water in which it is cooked. Add salt to taste and mix well. Check the consistency. This curry is not very thick unlike kurma, so you may add in water if needed. 

** Bring the curry to boiling point by increasing the heat and then lower the heat to simmer the curry for 4-5 minutes. Remove from fire and keep it covered aside for 10-15 minutes. Now beat the curds to smooth texture and then add in to the curry and mix well. The curry is preapred and done. 

** Note : The curd is added later on to the curry to avoid curdling. If you add it when the curry is being cooked or simmering there are chances of the curd breaking up and the gravy turning into grainy texture which we call as curdled. To avoid that the same is added later on. 

** Note : You can avoid adding in of curd altogether if for any reason you do not want to do so. Though addition of curds does impart an awesome taste to the curry. In case you are not adding on curds, add in two chopped tomatoes to the curry and lastly add in ½ tsp of fresh homemade butter. I sometimes do it when I fall short on curds. The taste does not vary much. 


** “Vegetable Sagu” is done and ready to be served with any dish of your choice. I served it with multigrain atta poori and it tasted yumz. Sagu tastes best with poori, though it goes very well with panpolo too. There some other dishes too that go very well with sagu which I will be including soon. Till then try out this combination and enjoy with your family and friends. 

** For the preparation of perfect puffed poori, Please go through the link given below …. 

** You can use the search option for "Poori" where you will get many more dishes prepared using different flours. Do try out various types of pooris to relish with sagu. Enjoy the dishes with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible. You can also click on the link below for checking the same. 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of similar type in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. You can also go to my page (add on the left side of blog) and leave a message and I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible … Thank you. I have also started a food group for "Konkani Saraswats" by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" the link of which is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.