Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Spicy Egg Kaju (Cashew Nut) Masala.


“Spicy Egg Kaju (Cashew Nut) Masala” … Egg / Anda Curries are one my favorite and this is one of the best and delicious Curry I have ever prepared with my own mix and match variations … the addition of cashews gives it that additional rich taste … I served it with Ghee Rice for lunch and with Panpolo (Neer Dosa) next morning for bf. but goes well with roti / paratha too … Yummy Yumz ….... 


** Eggs / Andey are my favorite and I am never tired of trying out new adaptions and recipes out of them. Once you learn to cook eggs properly they are a breeze work and you will love cooking them as they are so well behaved. I have written so much about eggs that I am sure by now all my friends are aware of my craze for it. I have loved eggs from childhood and after marriage I was lucky enough to get a hubby who loved eggs too. We can be called Eggilicious people which would be so true. There is always eggs stored in my fridge and if I don’t store them immediately once they are used up, I feel so helpless. I may not touch them for a few days, but they have to be there when I open my fridge door. Such is my attachment towards eggs. 

** Whenever I do not know what to cook or want to eat something delicious, I always end up preparing eggs. Be it curry, scramble or in any other way. This one is a simple curry but has a very rich masala with a good texture. I had mentioned that when I had undergone eye surgery, I had to sit doing nothing for almost a month, during this period, all I did was think of new variations and options for cooking and writing some of the stories I had in mind. As for cooking I just went about preparing it as I had visualized. You can make it still spicier if you wish too as well as little drier and goes well as a side dish with roti. I however served it with ghee rice for lunch and panpolo (neer dosa) next day. The combo with panpolo (neer dosa) is also awesome too. Another of my fav. Combo. I love panpolo with non-veg curries. Do try this out and I am sure your family will love it. 

** Ingredients For Egg Kaju Masala 
Hard Boiled Eggs / Andey : 4 – 5 
Onion : 2 large sized … sliced thinly. 
Garlic / Losun : 10-12 cloves … peeled and finely chopped 
Ginger / Adrak / Alle : ½ inch finely chopped. 
Cashew Nuts / Kajjubi: ½ cup … pieces. 
Parthare Prabhu Masala Powder : 2 tblsp 
Red Kashmiri Chilly Powder : 2 tblsp (1 tblsp if you want less spicy) 
Tamarind / Imli / Chincham: One small marble sized. 
Tomato : 1 large sized cut into fine pieces. 
Coriander Leaves / Dhania : ½ cup + 2 tblsp finely chopped 
Curry Leaves / Kadipatta / Karbev : 6-8 fresh one’s 
Curds / Dahi / Yogurt : 2 tblsp … beaten smooth. 
Turmeric / Haldi Powder : one pinch 
Ghee / Toop : 2-3 tblsp 
Oil : 3-4 tblsp 
Salt to taste. 

** Hard Boil the eggs, shell them. Make 3-4 gashes on the shelled eggs with the help of a sharp knife and keep them ready aside. Do check out the recipe link given below for hard boiling the eggs perfectly. 

** Soak the tamarind in half cup of warm water for 10 minutes and squeeze out the pulp. Strain and keep this ready aside. 

** Heat the oil in a thick bottomed kadai, when hot add in the onions and fry till they are evenly browned and crisp on medium heat. See to it that you have sliced the onion very finely, it will take less time and get browned fast. Do not burn them or else they will turn slightly bitter. Remove and keep it aside. 

** In the same oil continue frying on medium heat the finely chopped garlic, ginger and cashew nuts till they are slightly browned too. Again do not let the cashew get dark brown or burnt, it will not taste good. Remove and add it to the fried onions. 

** Put the fried onions, garlic, ginger and cashew nuts in a mixer grinder and grind to a very fine paste with little bit of water. The paste should be very smooth and fine. Remove and keep it aside ready. 

** In a kadai heat 2-3 tblsp of ghee, when the ghee melts and is hot enough add in pinch of haldi and pinch of red chilly powder. Now add the eggs kept ready and toss them on medium heat for 2-3 minutes. The eggs will be evenly fried to lovely yellow colour. Remove and keep them aside to be added on later. You can avoid this step if you do not want to fry the eggs. 

** In the same ghee add in the Pathare Prabhu Masala Powder and red kashmiri chilli powder and fry for a few mins. Sprinkle some of the tamarind water prepared and kept aside if you find the powders getting burnt or are too dry. Remember to keep the heat low while frying powders always. 

** Note: I have given the recipe for preparation PPM powder at the bottom of the recipe. If you prepare this masala and keep ready there are a lot of dishes that can be prepared out of the same. If not, you can also add in Kundapur Masala Powder available in Mangalore or Mangalore stores elsewhere. I will be adding the preparation of the same very soon. Again if both of these are not available check in the ingredients in the PPM powder link and add in a little bit of them mixed together. 

** Finally add in the ground onion-cashew masala and mix well. Fry the masala till the ghee oozes out ie leaves the sides of the masala. In between as you fry the masala if you feel the masala is too dry and is getting burnt, you can sprinkle some more of the tamarind water as and when needed. 

** Now add in the finely chopped tomato along with half a cup of finely chopped coriander leaves, remaining tamarind water if any. Add half cup of water and mix well. Let the curry get simmered properly till the tomato is well cooked and the curry thickens a little bit. 

** Lastly add in beaten curds, salt to taste and the fried eggs and mix well. Let the curry simmer for 2-3 minutes covered, till you get a lovely aroma. Remove from fire garnish with 2 tblsp of coriander leaves and keep aside covered for 15 minutes for the flavors to seep in properly. 


** “Spicy Egg Kaju (Cashew Nut) Masala” is done and ready to be served. This is a semi dry spicy yet aromatic and delicious curry that goes very well when served with ghee rice / fried rice / jeera rice / roti / paratha / dosa or panpolo. I love having non-veg dishes with ghee rice as it is mildly spiced or with panpolo these are both awesome when served with spicy non-veg curries and tastes simply awesome. I served it with ghee rice for lunch and with panpolo the next morning for breakfast. Enjoy this curry with your family and friends and do give me a feed back on this curry. 

** Do Check on the Links given below .....

** For the Pathare Prabhu Masala Powder, Please follow the link given below … 

** For the Ghee Rice Recipe, Please follow the link given below … 

** For the Panpolo / Neer Dosa Recipe, you can check the link given below …. 

** Check up on the link given below for cooking Perfect Hard-Boiled Eggs …. 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of similar type in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. You can also go to my page (add on the left side of blog) and leave a message and I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible … Thank you. I have also started a food group for "Konkani Saraswats" by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" the link of which is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.