Friday, December 8, 2017

Chilled Red Guava / Peru Juice.


“Chilled Red Guava / Peru Juice” … With setting in of winter comes in this wonderful fruit guava / peru, specially the red ones. This humble fruit is loaded with health benefits, I am sure all of you have relished this one with chaat masala … Now Enjoy this as a juice too, it tastes simply delicious ….


Guava fruit comes in a many verities and colour, but in India while we get the yellow ones in abundance red ones are available too specially during season. Monsoon is the season when we get lots of this humble fruit that is loaded to the brim with health benefits. Know as peru throughout India, this fruit is prepared into jams, jellies, murabbas, juice, chutney and even curries. I have yet to add them in my Blog, as I do not get this red variety ones often in my vicinity. Today, somehow my vendor had brought them and I happily bought 2 kgs of the same. Long back I had prepared juice of the same and had loved it. Though I do prepare with the yellow one’s these red ones have and unique taste of their own. Health wise both are similar, but taste wise they differ a bit. I will not write much about a fruit that is known to all of you. Here is my one way of preparing this awesome juice …..


** Wash and Wipe the Red Guava / Peru. I took about 4 medium sized. Peel off the skin of the peru with a peeler. It comes off easily. Do not discard the skin. Keep it in air tight box in fridge immediately, you can use it while grinding the chutney. The skin has lots of health benefits and it is definitely good to be used. You can prepare the juice with the skin too, but then you will not get that deep pink colour, which I wanted to retain. Isn’t is beautiful ? I love the colour and I am sure you too.


** Cut the peru once the skin is peeled into medium sized cubes and put it into a mixer grinder along with 1 inch of ginger cut into pieces. Add in 1-2 cups of water and grind to a paste. Once the flesh portion has become into a nice pulp, remove and strain through a fine sieve. Discard the seeds. The seeds usually do not get ground except a little bit, which is ok. 


** Add in more water, say about 3-4 cups along with 1 cup of sugar and mix well. The amount of sugar really depends upon the sweetness of the peru. So +/- as per the peru and individual taste too. Mix well till the sugar has melted and if you find the juice still too thick you can add in some more water. I got a little bit more than a liter of juice out of 4 perus. You can also add in chilled water and some ice cubes instead of room temperature water if you need to serve the juice immediately.


** Lastly add in 1-2 freshly squeezed juice of lemon to the peru juice and mix well. Again the no. of lemons depend upon the amount of juice, the tartness of lemons and also the size of the same. I add two small one’s as I like the flavor of lemons in cold drinks. Add in 1 tsp of kala namak or chaat masala and mix well. I added only kala namak / black salt. You can also add in any other salt with freshly roasted jeeera / cumin powder too. Put the juice in the fridge for 3-4 hours to get chilled. You can prepare this 24 hrs ahead and put it in the fridge in case you want to serve to guest, though juices are best consumed fresh. 


**“ Chilled Red Guava / Peru Juice” is done and ready to be served. Enjoy this delicious juice with some snacks or chat pata chaats. I served it with Chana Dal~Jawari~Methi Leaves tikki and they both complimented each other well. Will be adding the tikki next to this recipe, so please do go through the same too. You may serve with any deep fried or any other type of snack to your gues. Trust me it tastes awesome. 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of similar type in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. You can also go to my page (add on the left side of blog) and leave a message and I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible … Thank you. I have also started a food group by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" the link of which is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.