Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Rajma (Red Kidney Bean) Soup With Grated Cheese.


“Hot ~ Spicy Rajma (Red Kidney Bean) Soup With Grated Cheese” … A steaming hot soup that can be served with some pav / fried bread slices / bread sticks / creme' crackers / wafers / chips to drive away the winter blues … or you can also add on some Muesli with dry fruits while serving for healthier option the way I did, try this variation, it tastes great … 


** Winter as I said before makes me really tax my brains to come up with different types of soups. The demand for different varieties of soup comes on in my home throwing challenges at me. The chill in the wind gives an immense pleasure while sipping leisurely on hot soups and if there is bread or bread sticks or even croutons and wafers it’s that much more enjoyable. Though the winter season had started somehow heat has crept in the last few days. But then I had already soaked the rajma to prepare this soup and I did not want to step back. Knowing my hubby, I know he will love this one as he likes even just cooked bean with salt. By and large my soups are always simple with whatever is available in the market during the season and in my kitchen. I just pressure cook the veggies, making my own mix and match and avoid sauteing them etc. as it not so healthy. So watch out for my postings in this blog for many varieties of soups and relish them with your family and friends. 

** This is a simple soup prepared out of Rajma / Kidney beans by soaking them overnight and then pressure cooking them. Further I have ground them to a smooth paste. The addition of spices gives it the extra aroma and the grated cheese makes it creamier and very delicious. Though I would like to post another variation of the same in coming few days, this one is somehow there to stay in my kitchen. I loved the twist I gave by adding in the Pathare Prabhu Masala Powder for added spice. The soup is spicy enough to tickle your taste buds. Easy to prepare and a very filling one if had with some bread or toast. Go ahead, prepare this simple delicious soup, and enjoy it, with your family and friends sipping on it leisurely while you chat away to your heart’s content . I assure you will love this one. So Try it. 


** Here is the simple method of preparing the soup …..

** Soak about 3 cups of Rajma (Red Kidney Bean / Tambadi Bee’) for 8 hours or overnight in plenty of water. I used the light colored variety. Once it is soaked properly, strain of the water and rinse well under running water. Put the soaked rajma into a pressure cooker with enough water, the level of the water should always be about an inch above the ingredients. Now cover with the lid and pressure cook to 2 whistles on medium flame. Now lower the heat and continue for another 5 minutes. Off the flame and let the pressure fall on its own.

** Once the rajma has completely cooled down, put it in a mixer blender along with the water in which it was cooked and grind to a smooth paste. All the cooked rajma should get ground to a smooth paste. Add in more water if necessary while grinding. Remove the paste into a thick bottomed vessel. Add enough water to bring to a thick soup consistency. 

** In a small pan heat 2 tblsp of ghee, when it is hot enough, lower the heat and add in 1 tblsp of Pathare Prabhu Masala Powder. Fry for a second, then pour it over the ground Rajma soup / paste in the vessel. Add salt to taste and mix well. Bring to a full boil and then lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add in a lemon sized blob of fresh butter, remove from fire and keep it aside covered for 5-10 minutes before serving. The butter should get melted properly to impart added creaminess to the soup. You may leave out the butter, if not desired or want to avoid it for health reasons. But it tastes great. 


** “Hot ~ Spicy Rajma (Red Kidney Bean) Soup With Grated Cheese” is done and ready to be served. Soups taste the best when served fresh and steaming hot. Mix the soup well before serving, so that the butter gets mixed in properly. Pour the hot soup in individual bowls and serve them topped with some freshly grated cheese. Again cheese too is optional. You may tava fry with butter some bread slices and serve along with the soup or serve them with some tortilla chips or any other wafers / bread sticks or toast, they taste great. As I had added butter and cheese, I wanted to cut down on the bread etc. So just served with 2 tblsp of Muesli with dry fruits. You must be wondering why Muesli?? Try it, tastes great with soups.

** Note : If you do not have Pathare Prabhu Masala Powder, do not be disheartened. You can use any spice powder available in your home the aroma of which you love. You can also add some red chilly powder and some cinnamon too for spice. Or if you are interested in preparing the Pathare Prabhu Masala Powder, Please follow the link given below for the recipe, this is a aromatic masala, that can be added while preparing many dishes, so it wont go waste. 

** Here is the link to the Pathare Prabhu Masala Powder .....

** An earnest Request : There are many more recipes of similar type in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. You can also go to my page (add on the left side of blog) and leave a message and I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible … Thank you. I have also started a food group by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" the link of which is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.