Sunday, September 17, 2017

Chilled Custard Falooda.


“Chilled Custard Falooda” … A very delicious and tasty chilled beverage cum dessert that can be served after lunch / dinner and enjoyed with family and friends … I simply prepared vanilla custard with vermicelli and chilled it overnight by adding on some Dry fruits and soaked Sabja Seeds … Yummilicious ....…


** It’s been quite some time since I made falooda. There is a person who sells falooda in the evenings about 100 meters away from my home on roadside corner. I have been seeing him for over 20 yrs now, when my vehicle zooms cross him. I have never tasted it, as I am skeptical of road side food sellers. You never know the hygienic condition of the same. Today there was some traffic jam and I got held up for about 10 mins at the very same place. When I saw people rushing over to eat the falooda the desire to make falooda after a long time woke up in me. Initially, I used to prepare this a lot, though I used to buy the ice cream from the stores. That way it was much easier and faster to prepare when you have guests.

** As it was monsoon I was hesitant to prepare the same as I catch up on cold very easily. And topping on with Ice Cream was sure to bring on the cold badly. But then once my mind is set on something, it keeps wandering to the same point. I resisted the desire for a few days, but still it would not go away. Finally I decided to go ahead and prepare the same in a simple way to satisfy my craving desire. Well frankly my hubby was also wanting to eat as I had goaded him enough speaking about it for two days while resisting temptation. So I decided to leave out the ice cream part and prepare custard falooda, easier and can be enjoyed little bit less chilled too. I prepared the custard with vermicelli and allowed to chill in the fridge overnight and served it the next day. Ahhhaaa … heavenly bliss. Now that I have satisfied my cravings, it’s time for all of you to do the same. Go ahead, prepare and Enjoy this simple dessert with family and friends. 


** Here is the simple Method of preparing Custard Falooda :

** Bring I litre full fat milk to a boil. Lower the heat and keep simmering stirring often for 5 minutes. 

** Add in ½ to 1 cup of vermicelli pieces of about 1.5 inches in length and cook on low heat till its almost cooked. I used ready made wheat vermicelli pieces that are available in the stores.

** Add in 1 cup of sugar and mix well till all the sugar has melted in. Plus or minus depending upon individual taste. You can always check the sugar level after the cooking and cooking is over and add it on later too if you find it less. 

** Now in a bowl mix 2-3 tblsp of vanilla custard powder with half a cup of water. The custard should mix well and there should be no lumps. Once mixed and prepared it should be used immediately.

** Add in the prepared custard in water to the simmering milk and mix well. Keep stirring for about 10 mins. Till the custard starts thickening. If you find that the custard is not thick enough you can mix another spoon of vanilla custard in water till well mixed and then add to the simmering milk again and further simmer till done.

** Note : Do not add custard powder directly to the simmering milk without first mixing it with water. The custard powder has to be mixed well with water and then only added to hot milk.

** Remove from fire and let cool completely. Keep stirring in between while cooling to avoid it getting creamed on top. The consistency of the custard should be that of thick pouring and not very thin at the same time it should not be thick like pudding too. 

** Meanwhile soak 2 tblsp of Sabja Seeds in one cup of water for 30 mins. They will be well swollen by that time. Add this to the cooled custard ~ vermicelli milk and mix well. 

** Note : You can use Chia Seeds instead of Sabja Seeds if they are not available or if you prefer the same. It's almost the same. The method also remains same. 

** Keep the prepared and cooled vermicelli ~ sabja added custard in the fridge to get chilled. I kept it for a good 20 hrs. This is custard falooda.

** “Chilled Custard Falooda” is ready to be served. Serve them chilled in individual glasses with the addition of handful dry fruits in each glass. Yummy Custard Falooda can now be relished with your family and friends.

** You can prepare two colours / flavours of of custard too. In which case keep one custard a little bit thicker in consistency, so that when you add them into the glass slowly they do not mix. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.