Monday, August 28, 2017

Urad Dal~Lapsi~Rava Dosa Served with Coconut~ Coriander~Bimbul~Ginger Chutney And Molaga Podi~Coconut Oil.


“Urad Dal~Lapsi~Rava Dosa Served with Coconut~Coriander~Bimbul~Ginger Chutney And Molaga Podi~Coconut Oil” … A lovely dosa that tastes awesome with spicy~tangy chutney … The recipe credit goes to Sushma Mallaya who posted Urad Dal~Lapsi Dosa, As I felt short of lapsi I added in rava to get the consistency … Yummy Yumz … Thanks Sushma … We simply loved the dosa ….....


Being a South Indian and Konkani Saraswat I always enjoyed Dosa or Idly for breakfast. Mom prepared them crispy and nice and served them hot right out of the tava with coconut chutney. After marriage hubby too always preferred the same bf, though we love sandwiches also. I love trying new variation in Dosas or Idly's and have blogged many different combinations of the same. I am always excited when my friends post a Dosa I have not yet tried as I know for sure that it’s a tried and tested one. So I am always in a hurry to prepare the same. So When my friend Sushma posted Urad Dal~Lapsi Dosa, I was all eager to try it out. 

In my enthusiasm, I forgot to check if I had enough lapsi at home. Ufff. I guess my memory is also slowly falling short, when I wanted to soak the same in the night, to my dismay I found that I had half the quantity of the required amount of Lapsi. But once my mind is set, I hate to move back and keep it pending. So I soaked whatever was available and compensated the remaining with Bombay rava while grinding. The difference is I guess in the texture, but the Dosa turned out awesome. So, accidentally I got another recipe, which I am sure to prepare many a times more. While I am still eagerly waiting to do Sushma’s Recipe exactly with the same proportions. Yummy. Sushama Mallya is a well known blogger who has loads of good authentic recipes in her blog “Authentic Food Delights. Blogspot.in”. Do check out for more recipes. 

Ingredients :
Urad Dal : 1 cup
Barik Lapsi / Bansi Rava / Mangalore Rava : ½ cup
Bombay Rava / Ordinary Rava : ½ cup.
Green Chillies : 2-3
Ginger : ½ inch
Salt to taste

For Tempering :
Mustard Seeds / Rai / Sasam : ½ tsp
Jeera / Cumin Seeds : ½ tsp
Curry Leaves : 6-8 fresh small one’s 


** Soak Urad Dal and Lapsi / Bansi Rava together in a bowl with plenty of water for about 5-6 hrs or overnight. 

** Next morning strain out the water and grind to a smooth paste in a mixer grinder with minimum water. Lastly add in the bombay rava and further grind till smooth in texture. 

** Remove the ground batter in a bowl. Add in the ginger by cutting into fine pieces or you can grate it and add them too. Coarsely crush or grate and add in the green chillies and salt to taste. Mix well.

** For Tempering : Heat oil, when hot add in the mustard seeds, when they begin to splutter add in jeera and curry leaves and fry for a minute. Remove and cool a bit. Once it has cooled add this to the batter and mix well.

** The Dosa batter is ready, check the consistency. If required add in some water. Beat the batter in clockwise direction till its mixed well just before removing the dosas. The thickness should be that of thick pouring consistency. Thicker than milk and slightly thinner than idly batter. Now the batter is ready to be removed as dosas.

** Note : Once the batter is ground the dosa can be removed immediately as this dosa is instant on grinding and does not need any fermentation. 

** To remove the Dosa : Heat a non stick pan or iron tawa, till smoking point. The tawa should be really hot. Now lower the heat add a tsp of oil and spread well. Now rub gently the tawa with a folded napkin or tissue paper (I use tissue) and spread the oil into a thin layer on the tawa. Excess oil gets absorbed by the paper. Do not rub the pan vigorously. 

** Now pour a large ladleful of batter (say about half a cup) at the center of the tawa and spread nicely with the bottom round surface of the ladle / spatula into a circle clockwise evenly. Say about 6-8 inches in diameter. Do not apply pressure while doing so, or else the dosa will get bubbled and not spread evenly. 

** Note : Spreading of dosa technique once learned is a lifetime blessing. So watch someone closely while preparing dosas. Always watching clearly and keenly on one to one basis is the best way to learn certain procedures of cooking, that way you will learn the right pressure. If not you can watch any you tube for the same.

** Raise the heat to medium, sprinkle some oil drops all round the rim of the dosa and also on the top of the dosa. This helps browning of the dosa well. When the dosa has cooked and is browned on the bottom side, gently remove the dosa with the help of a flat spatula and flip over for a minute or two till the top portion is browned a bit. Remove the Dosa when done and ready.

** Remove the required no. of dosas. Remember to follow the oiling procedure for each dosa while removing, it is necessary. You may keep the excess batter immediately in an airtight container in fridge for later use. Remains good for few hours, if handled properly. 

** Urad Dal~Lapsi~Rava Dosa is ready to be served. Serve with chutney / samabar / bhaji / molaga podi or any dish that suits your liking and taste. I have served the dosa with molaga podi / gun powder and coconut coriander bimbul ginger chutney which is already posted in the blog just before this recipe (You can use the search option or the label section for the same). Enjoy the Dosa with family and friends. 

** An earnest Request : For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. You can also go to my page (add on the left side of blog) and leave a message and I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible … Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.