Saturday, August 5, 2017

Pineapple Curry in Coconut Milk.


“Pineapple Curry in Coconut Milk” … A simple sweet and spicy dish prepared with fresh ripe pineapple cubes cooked in spices and simmered in coconut milk. This aromatic Sweet ~ Spicy ~ Sour dish goes very well when served as a side dish with spiced pulav … Yumz ….....


I am always on the lookout for dishes prepared using fresh pineapples. Pineapples can be relished just as it is as a fruit or with the addition of the same to rice or curries ie in the cooked form. There are quite a few dishes in Konkani Saraswat’s using pineapple, avnas ambe sasam ie mango and pineapple curry being the most famous of all. I have added many dishes with pineapple into the blog and many are yet to be posted. As I have said before, I have a huge back up of tried and tested recipes in my diaries written over a span of 22 yrs. It is recently say 3 yrs back that I thought of starting my own blog and preserving them on into the blog after many of my friends insisted. Sometimes I do wish I had done so from the very beginning, when the blog trend had started, which would have given me a better head start. Anyways, it’s never too late. So now I am trying my level best to jam in the recipes by preparing them as is the season of veggies and fruits. Coming to this recipe this was prepared by me many years back, but somehow I never got into making it many times as it was a little bit sweet for my taste. In order to cut off that sweetness this time around I made it spicier and found it wonderful in taste. I had prepared this on an auspicious / festive occasion when we do not eat non.veg, onions or garlic, so keeping in mind the tradition of serving it satvik, I prepared this in a way that appeals to my family. Here I have used coconut milk and the dish was Sweet~Spicy~Sour, ekdum chatpata. Went along great when served with Tomato Rice with Moong Sprouts. Both the dishes are posted back to back in the blog. Please do check on for the same.

Ingredients:
Pineapple : 3 cups cut to medium sized pieces.
Coconut Milk : 100 ml ie about 1 cup of thick milk
Sugar : 2-3 tblsp
Mustard Seeds / Rai / Sasam : 1 tsp
Cumin Seeds / Jeera : ½ tsp
Haldi / Turmeric Powder : ½ tsp
Pepper / Miri Powder : ¼ tsp
Jeera Powder : 1 tsp
Dhania Powder : 2 tsp
Fennel Powder : ¼ tsp
Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder : 1 tsp
Cardamom Powdr : A pinch.
Curry Leaves : 10-12
Corn Flour : 1 tsp
Salt to taste.
Oil : 2 tblsp


** Heat oil in a thick bottomed kadai, when hot lower the heat and add in the mustard seeds. When the mustard starts to splutter add in jeera and curry leaves and fry for a min. 

** Now add in the powders one by one, haldi pd, chilly pd, pepper pd, jeera pd, dhania pd, fennel pd, cardamom pd and fry for a minute or two. See to it that the fire is on low. Do not raise the heat or the masala will burn. 

** Now add in the pineapple pieces and mix in well. Add in sugar and salt to taste along with half a cup of water and cook till the pineapple pieces are 50% cooked. Do not add in much water as pineapple has enough water content in it. Also being a fruit it cooks fast within 2-3 mins. so do not overcook the pieces. 

** Now add in the coconut milk, mix well and bring to a boil on medium heat. Once it comes to a boil lower the heat and simmer for 2-3 mins.

** Mix the corn flour in ¼ cup of room temperature water. See to it that it is mixed well and there are no lumps. Never add hot water while mixing corn flour. Always use normal room temperature water for the same.

** Now add in the corn flour mixture to the curry and keep stirring gently. Keep the flame low. The curry will start thickening. Once it has thickened, say in 2-3 mins. The curry is done. In case you feel the curry is too thick you can add in a cup of hot water to the same. 

** Cover and keep aside the curry to cool. The curry thickens sometimes on cooling down too. In which case do not reheat. Just add boiled and cooled water and mix well. This is to be served at normal room temperature. Pineapple Curry is done. Serve with any dish as an accompaniment of your choice. I served this with Tomato Rice With Moong Sprouts … a satvik style pulav and it tasted awesome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.