Monday, June 26, 2017

Jackfruit Seed Rasam / Bikkandache’ Rasam


"Bikkandache’ Rasam/ Jackfruit Seed Rasam” … Jackfruit seeds importance in now coming into forefront while we amchies always relished it when in season and then froze it to be used for sometime later too ... there are endless varieties of dishes that can be prepared using this highly nutritional seeds ... here is a very old recipe that I prepare once in a year when fresh bikkanda is available though you can use the frozen one's too ... you can sip this on as a appetizer or serve it with rice ... Yummilicious ...

** Jackfruit Seed Rasam/ Bikkandache’ Rasam … is a delicious and Spicy Rasam that can be enjoyed both as an appetizer or served as saar with rice … Jackfruit seed / Bikkandache’ Rasam … when I heard of this I could not believe it. Many years back one of my friend had mentioned this casually and I had jotted it down as usual, but never somehow made it. I came across this recipe while digging into my old books which is my favourite pass time now. Though I was reluctant to prepare this then, now I was only too eager to try out this recipe. I guess our desires and habits change over years. Now I am more into experimenting of dishes. I had loads of jackfruit seeds at home as its in season now, so I thought of going ahead and preparing this one today. You can also use frozen jackfruit seeds. 

** For proper freezing method just check on in this blog elsewhere using the search option. I have written a complete article on preserving the same which lasts well for about 5-6 months. 


** I have enclosed a detailed method of the same. This rasam should be prepared a little bit spicier as jackfruit seeds are in itself a little bit sweeter in nature. I will not run into more details but get on straight away with the recipe. A lovely appetizer, that can be sipped on when its pouring heavily and you just want to curl up with a good book in hand. Go ahead and enjoy it whichever way it suits you the best. However, I made some changes to suit out taste and added sambar powder instead of rasam powder which I always find a little bit bland. I also made it a little bit spicier to suit our taste as I served it with rice. OK, I confess I did sip on one glass of it too ... Yummy … tastes simply awesome
 … 

** Here is my Recipe for "Bikkandache’ Rasam/ Jackfruit Seed Rasam” .... My Style ...

** Ingredients :
Jackfruit Seeds/ Bikkanda : 10 ( you can use fresh / frozen one's)
Onion/ Piyavu/ Kanda : 1 medium sized cut into pieces.
Garlic/ Losun : 15 cloves peeled and chopped to pieces.
Coconut/ Soyi/ Nariyal : 2 tblsp freshly grated.
Jaggery/ gud : One large lemon sized ball grated.
Tamarind/ Chinchama/ Imly : One small lemon sized ball.
Sambar/ Rasam Powder : 4 tblsp
Coriander Leaves/ Kottambari Pallo/ Dhania : ½ cup finely chopped.
Oil/ Tel : 2 tblsp
Salt/ Namk/ Meeta : to taste

** Tempering/ Seasoning :
Ghee/ Toop : 1 tblsp
Cumin Seeds/ Jeera : 1 tsp
Mustard Seeds/ Sasam/ Rai : 1 tsp
Hing/ Asafoetida Powder : 1 tsp
Haldi Powder/ Turmeric : ½ tsp
Curry Leaves/ Kadipatta/ Karbevu : 12-15 fresh ones


** Mash the jackfruit seeds/ bikkand with a heavy stone to crush it. You can use either fresh one's or frozen one's. If using frozen one's just soak them in water for 20 mins and then proceed. I used fresh one's as they are in season now. The outer white loose skin can then be peeled off easily. Once done wash and put all the seeds in a pressure cooker pan with one cup of water and pressure cook to 3 whistles on medium flame. Let the pressure fall on its own. After that remove and let it cool a little bit.

** Add the jackfruit seeds / bikkand into a mixer grinder along with the coconut, onion, garlic and tamarind. Grind all to a smooth paste with some water. Do add in the cooked jackfruit seeds water while grinding. The ground paste should be very smooth.


** In a large thick bottomed vessel, add in the oil and bring to heat. When hot enough lower the heat to medium and add the Sambar Powder and fry for a few seconds. Do not allow the powder to get burnt. Lower the heat if necessary.

** Now add in the ground paste and about 2 cups of water and mix well. Add in the jaggery and salt to taste and bring all to a boil. Add in the coriander leaves retaining a handful for garnishing later on. Let the Rasam boil for 3-4 mins on high and then lower the flame to medium and allow to simmer for at least 15-20 mins.

** For Tempering : Heat the Ghee in a small pan, when hot and melted add in jeera and fry for a second. When the colour changes slightly add in the mustard seeds, when they begin to crackle add in the curry leaves, hing powder and haldi powder. Remove from fire and pour over the Rasam.


** Mix the rasam well and add in the retained coriander leaves as garnish and cover with a lid and keep aside for 15-20 minutes for all the flavors to get infused in properly. Rasam is done and ready.

** Jackfruit Seed Rasam / Bikkandache’ Rasam is done and ready to be served. You can serve it as an appetizer or as a saar with hot rice. Goes well both ways during monsoon I usually serve it as appitizer while if prepared any other time, I serve it with rice along with some upkari/ bhaji. Also tastes great with mildly spiced pulav or vegetable bhatH. Enjoy this Rasam with family and friends and please do give me a feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.