Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Sabudana ~ Biscuit Ambado (Vada) With Spicy Green Chutney.


“Sabudana ~ Biscuit Ambado (Vada)” With “Spicy Coriander Leaves ~ Curry Leaves ~ Coconut Chutney” …. Yes you heard it right …. Our very own Amchi Biscuit Ambado prepared with a twist ie addition of Sabudana / Tapioca Pearls …. This is my very own concoction of biscuit ambado with addition of sabudana which yielded in Cripsy ~ Soft ~ Spongy Vadas …. They simply tasted awesome with the spicy green chutney …. Yumz …..


Sabudana Biscuit Ambado / Vada ….. I have again gone ahead and created my own concoction of biscuit ambado with the addition of sabudana. Adapting various changes in making of biscuit ambado / vadas is a challenge and thrill for me. My undying quest for new methods and innovations, twist to existing recipe is well known to my family and friends. They keep pulling my legs as to what will be the next on list. And this keeps me going with more enthusiasm. Biscuit Ambado needs no introduction to any Indian specially GSB Konkani Saraswat's all over the world. So does Sabudana Vada. But today I made a break through with the addition of these two and it was an excellent combination which yielded in a soft and spongy ambado / vada. I am thrilled with this combo of two ingredients in the making of single dish and very happy to have gone ahead and prepared the same though I had jitters in my tummy. I have prepared many combinations of biscuit ambado with different lentils but this one is absolutely new and my very own. I had soaked sabudana to make some payasam and found that accidentally I had added in more than necessary. So I just removed and put some in the fridge for later use and forgot about it till next morning. I had to add something to it and was clearly in no mood for sabudana vada. Sometimes mad ideas crops up in my mind and I just blurted it out to my hubby, who is always encouraging me in my new vague ideas. He is my back bone in all kitchen adventures. He assured me to go ahead. I guess there is no need to write anything more here, Need I ? The picture of the Sabudana ~ Biscuit Ambado / Vada's are before you and A picture always says it all. They were simply awesome crispy outside and fluffy ~ spongy inside. This recipe is going to be prepared many more times in my kitchen for sure. Go ahead and prepare this one, I vouch for it, that you will never regret your decision to try it out. Just serve it with some spicy chutney and I am sure there will be demand for more. Please do keep a check on this Blog and give me feed back through mail if you prepare the same. Go ahead, stop worrying and just prepare them and enjoy with your family.


Ingredients:
Sabudana / Tapioca Pearls : 1 cup (Large sized variety)
Urad Dal : 1.5 cups.
Hing / Asafoetida Powder : 1 tsp
Green Chilly : 5-7 cut into rings (less spicy)
Curry Leaves :5-8 cut into pieces
Salt to taste
Oil for deep frying.


To Prepare Sabudana / Tapioca Pearls : In a large bowl add one cup of large sized variety of sabudana and add about 4-5 cups of water. Leave this covered aside for about 2 hours. Drain off the water completely and leave it aside to swell on its own for another 2-3 hours. Sabudana should swell properly and look like small white pearls for you to get the best spongy effect. So soaking and resting period is very important. You CAN NOT add the sabudana directly nor the soaked one immediately as that will not give you the above softness. So I recommend you follow the procedure of soaking and resting period for the sabudana.


To Prepare Urad Dal : Wash and soak 1.5 cups of urad dal in plenty of water for 2 hrs. Remove and drain in a colander till all the water has completely drained away. Keep it aside in the colander for about 30 minutes so that there is absolutely no extra moisture left. It is very important to drain off all excess water from the dal to get a good batter while grinding. 


Grind the urad dal to a fine paste by just sprinkling water now and then. The trick in getting good vada lies in making of the paste. It is always better if you can grind it without water. However, if you find this difficult you can sprinkle some water and mix well and grind the same. Do not at any stage add more than a tsp of water. The paste should not be thin or runny. You should get a thick paste or else the ambado / vada when fried will absorb oil. Remove the paste in a bowl. Add in 1 tsp of hing powder, salt to taste, 5-6 curry leaves chopped, 5-7 green chillies chopped into rings along with the prepared sabudana and mix well. I have added a picture for you to enable proper understanding of the batter.


Heat plenty of oil in a thick bottomed kadai for deep frying. When the oil reaches smoking point, lower the heat and wait for 3-5 minutes. Add in a pinch of the paste for testing the oil heat, if it forms into a ball and comes up immediately, the oil is hot enough. Keep the heat to medium now and add in a lemon sized balls of paste into the hot oil. Be careful, add gently into the oil so that it does not splutter. 


Frequently dip your hands in water and then form the paste into balls. This helps in getting round shaped balls and also enables the balls to slip easily into the oil. Add 5-6 ambado at a time depending off course on the size of the kadai, you can add more or less. Keep the heat constant, by lowering if too hot and increasing if you find it getting cold.


Allow the Sabudana ~ Biscuit Ambado / Vada to cook in the oil for a few minutes, then keep turning them frequently to get crispy and evenly fried vadas. This will take somewhere between 5-7 minutes depending upon the size of the ambado. When they turn crispy and golden remove and keep it on an absorbent paper for the excess oil to drain off. Repeat the procedure with the reaming batter, till all the batter has been used.


Serve the Sabudana ~ Biscuit Ambado / Vada with Coconut chutney or Sambar for breakfast or tiffin. I served this with Spicy Coriander Leaves ~ Curry Leaves ~ Coconut Chutney, the recipe link to which I have posted below. The combo was great and this definitely is a recipe that will be loved by your family, friends and guests. 


** For the Spicy Coriander Leaves ~ Curry Leaves ~ Coconut Chutney Recipe, Please follow the link given below ….


Note : I am also posting here the link of the original Biscuit Ambado preparation method here. Please go through the same. You will get a jest of the texture of the batter as well as the frying method. Here is the link to the Biscuit Ambado Recipe ……

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.