Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Wheat ~ Nachani (Finger Millet/Ragi) Chapati / Roti.


Wheat ~ Nachani (Finger Millet / Ragi) Chapati / Roti ........ A healthy poushtic chapati / roti with added goodness of Nachani a millet known for its health benefits and high calcium source ...... Enjoy ....


Mixing of millet's along with other ingredients has become a sort of habit with me and I am on the lookout for many more such combinations. Nachani / finger millet rules other millet's in my home as I love it from childhood. Though those days there was no much of information doing rounds my mom did prepare dosa and nachani uddak / juice many a times. Nachani is very good for health and is loaded with vitamins and has high calcium content too. Over years these two dishes has been a part and parcel of my food habits for life. Ouch now I as I write I realize that while I have posted the later recipe I have yet to post the dosa recipe. Well, keep an eye on my blog and I am sure you will find it soon and enjoy the same. It’s a sweet dosa my mom prepared and we siblings loved to eat it when we returned home from school hungry. But this post is of Roti / Chapati. I know my friends must be wondering at the back to back roti recipes which lacked earlier. Did I learn it now ??? Off course not. I have a huge bank of of mix and match chapati / roti recipes. Excuses and excuses. What do I say but being busy and having a jam packed schedule hardly gives me time. But the last few years though I have been doing quite a lot of dishes roti / chapati / parathas were not given top priority as I was adviced against doing them due to persisting neck pain that moved on shoulders. The healing took quite long time and though it still lingers on it’s a bearable condition now and so have the roti / chapati come on forefront gleefully. Also it’s the constent encouragement and messages I get that inspire me to keep pushing myself to do more and share here with my frds. Thanks to all of you for passing on the good wishes too. Moving on to the recipe, this is a simple one similar to the one posted before with wheat and bajra. 


Sieve 2 cups of wheat flour with 2 cups of nachani flour together twice to mix them evenly. Put the flour in a wide bowl. Add in salt to taste and about about 1 cup of lukewarm water. Crumble the flour well and knead to a semi soft dough. Add in more water as and if needed. You may need about another half cup of so. The amount of water depends on the flour texture and its quality too. The dough should be smooth and tight. Cover and keep this aside covered for about 30 minutes. Remember to always cover and keep aside the dough for about 30 mins as the gluten in the wheat gets released and the dough also become softer.


Remove the dough and knead it again. Divide the dough into large lemon sized portions and roll into into smooth balls and keep them aside. Roll the prepared balls in wheat flour, seeing to it that it is fully dusted with flour and roll it out into a thin round shaped roti / chapati. You can dust in more flour as your roll the ball if you find it difficult to roll the roti. You will get a round roti / chapati of about 8-10 inches in diameter.


Heat a tava on high, when hot, lower the heat to medium, spread some ghee / oil on the tava and gently place the rolled chapati / roti. There should be no creases. Apply ghee / oil on the top surface and spread it with the back of the spoon. When roti / chapati gets cooked on bottom side, ie you will be abble to see some bubbles on the top, then flip over and cook the top side too till you get brown spotted crispy roti. Remove and keep it aside. Repeat the procedure with the remaining prepared dough balls, by rolling into chapati and frying them on tava in similar manner. Roti / Chapaties are ready. Serve them hot with any side dish curry or bhaji of your choice. You can relish this roti with only chutney or pickle too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.