Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Moist Egg Cake.


Moist Egg Cake ..... I know many of you will not call this a perfect one ....... But this is my first cake with addition of Eggs .... Frankly I have hardly baked even Egg~less one's ..... OK .... I confess that I goofed with the temperature settings of Oven ..... taste wise simply awesome ..... Yumz .......


I love cakes a lot growing up in Mangalore and doing my entire studying in convent, I had many Christian friends who are simply perfect in baking cakes. But somehow never learnt the preparation method from there. Being the youngest in the family, never ventured into the kitchen till marriage. Later on though I had an oven for over 25 years now somehow never attempted in making them. I have absolutely no idea why it is so, though sometimes i did make egg less cakes, never tried one with the addition of eggs. Life had been so hectic with so many commitments, that baking always took a backseat in my life. Always relished the cakes that were purchased from bakeries. Over the years somehow never felt the urge to bake also. In the last 2 yrs as I started posting in food groups and blogging, the desire to bake once again surfaced, but was very hesitant. Finally today after tolling a lot with the idea, went ahead. I messaged my friend Nutan who bakes good cakes and asked her to pass on an easy cake with the addition of eggs. Though I received her message along with recipe immediately I was still apprehensive. But went ahead. Here i would like to mention that the recipe was absolutely perfect. But somehow I goofed on the settings of my oven temperature as it is very old too. But the taste of the cake was an absolute delight. My neighbors enjoyed it very much. So now on you will see on lots of baked products in my blog too as the baking bug has bitten me badly.
Recipe credit goes to my friend Nutan ~ Tutti Frutti Cake ...... 

Ingredients :
Maida / APF : 2 cups 
Sugar (Powdered ) : 2 cups 
Baking Soda : 2 tsp 
Baking Powder : 1.5 tsp 
Eggs : 2 
Vanilla extract : 2 tsp 
Oil : 1/2 cup (Any edible oil will do, I used sunflower oil) 
Milk : 1 cup 
Water : 1/2 cup (Approx)
Tutti Frutti : 100 gms.
Cashew Pieces (roasted) : 25 gms.
Melon Seeds (roasted) : 25 gms


Prepare the baking pan by applying melted ghee and then dusting it with maida. See to it that there is no excess maida by inverting the pan and tapping it. You may use one large or two smaller one’s whichever suits you best. Add a large tablespoon of maida / APF flour to the tutti frutti pieces and coat evenly, so that they are dusted evenly on all sides. Pre heat the oven and place the greased baking pan inside the oven.


Break the eggs in a large glass bowl. Add in oil, milk, vanilla essence, baking powder, baking soda and blend well with an electric egg beater. Add in the sugar and continue mixing, now add in the maida and mix well, you can use the electric beater. Now add little by little water checking the consistency of the batter. Do not add in more if you see it getting thinner texture. Lastly mix in the dusted tutti frutti pieces and just swirl the batter a bit.


Remove the pan from the oven, let it cool a bit. Sprinkle all over the cashew pieces and melon seeds. Now pour the above mixture into it and tap to get even surface. 


Set the temperature to 160 deg.C and place the pan inside the oven and bake of 30-40 mins. Do check by inserting a tooth prick in the center of the cake. If it comes out clean the cake is done. Else it can be placed in the oven for another 5 to 10 minutes till done.


Note :
** Please note the temperature settings differ from each oven, so do check out before removing from the oven. Repeat the tooth prick test till it comes out clean. If you find the cake being baked too fast, say it rises up fast within 10 mins, then lower the temperature a bit as that is not the correct temperature. Same way if you see that the cake has not risen in 10-15 mins, increase the temperature a bit. This is exclusively my observation for this recipe only. 

** The cake developed cracks and unevenly browned due to my wrong settings of oven temperature. The recipe is perfect. So go ahead and prepare without any fear with the given measurements. 

** I have added the pictures taken as it is, without deleting any of them, as I wanted all of you to be aware of the hardships that we come across if we do not follow the recipe properly. In baking one should always follow the recipe as it is, unless you are well versed in baking field. 

** Also being new to baking, I want to share with my friends whatever I bake without any hesitation. This will help us bond better and know that everybody can make mistakes, but one should never be disheartened. I am not, I will be baking now for long long time to come ...... So if anyone of you are hesitant this post will definitely encourage you to look beyond hesitations and difficulties.  

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for providing recent updates regarding the concern, I look forward to read more. cali cakes

    ReplyDelete

Thanks.