Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Black Pomfret ~ Mushroom ~ Capsicum Roasted on Open Flame (Barbecued).


Black Pomfret ~ Mushroom ~ Capsicum Roasted on Open Flame (Barbecued) and served With Ginger Garlic Sauce along with some sliced cucumber ....... Yumz .....


Barbecued fish or fish cooked on open flame or tandoori fish are I guess somewhat similar in the make. I have no access to barbecuing of fish nor preparing it the original way on tandoori. Living in a flat confines such facilities and you have to do with what is available and think of the neighbors also when and if you cook out something in the open. I avoid all such situations as I neither like interference  nor confrontations. Each one has their own way of life and preferences of food. Most of my neighbors are Vegetarians and I would not like to hurt their sentiments by trying something out in the open. 


But then what do I do if I want to somehow try it. Over a period of few days I tried many ways, then I came across this equipment in Mall. You just have to place the ingredients between the grills and tighten the latch, its secured and all you have to do is place it on an open flame and keep flipping it over. I have no knowledge of how exactly its done as I have not witnessed it much. So I went ahead and prepared it my own way …. My own style … J and I had lovely smoke flavoured fish pieces ready. I will off course try out roti and other more dishes on it but for now I am really happy that it worked for me in a simple manner.


Wash and pat dry about 7-8 pieces of Pomfret (I used Black skin variety called Halwa in Mumbai). You may use any fish of your choice. 


In a small bowl add in ¼ tsp haldi (turmeric) powder, 2 tblsp red kashmiri chilly powder, ¼ tsp coriander powder, 1 large tblsp of vinegar, salt to taste and mix well. Sprinkle some water and make it into a thick coarse paste. Do not add much water. Now apply this masala to the fish slices on both sides evenly. Put the pieces in a stainless steel box and put it in the fridge for 6-8 hours. Remove the fish 30 minutes before you start cooking.


In a non stick pan add in 3-4 tblsp of oil and bring it to heat. Lower the heat to medium and add in the fish pieces one by one taking care to see that you remove the excess masala from the fish and keep them flat on the tava. Fry for 3-4 minutes and then flip over and further fry for 2 minutes. Remove and finish off with all fish pieces if any in similar procedure. 


Once the fish is removed, there will be still oil left in the tava, add in 1 tsp of finely ground ginger garlic paste and fry well for 3-4 minutes, till its rawness goes away. Now add in a cup of tomato ketchup + a pinch of soya sauce and mix all together very well. Bring to full heat till its cooked. Remove and keep aside.


Now keep the fish slices in between the BBQ grill and tighten the latch you may add in a few piece of sliced / cut capsicums and mushrooms or any other veggies of your choice. Just brush all with a little bit of oil. Now keep the BBQ above the gas fire and fry on direct flame heat on both the sides for a few minutes. You will get a nice smoked aroma. Be careful and do not burn the fishes. Hold the BBQ a little bit high and not directly over the flame. Repeat till all are done.


Serve the fish with the roasted capsicum, mushrooms and some cucumber slices along with the prepared tomato dip. Dip the fish pieces in the sauce and relish this BBQ fishes. They really did taste yummy. I really have no knowledge except for what I witnessed when the tandoori fellow on small outlets do, so I carried on the procedure to the best of my knowledge. But the fish pieces tasted really good with a lovely smoky flavour and tomato dip which I just prepared on a whimsical also tasted yummy. Sure to do more of these. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.