Saturday, January 23, 2016

Urad Dalitoy.


Urad Dalitoy With Jeera-Rai Tadka .....


I had never heard of Urad Dalitoy till I got married and settled in Mumbai. My hubby say’s my MIL used to prepare the best urad dalitoy with awesome aroma. There was no written copy or any source for me to know the exact method. So after a lot of trial and error methods, this is the closest I could get to making Urad Dalitoy as per my dish taster ie. my hubby. I have yet to give more trials as he still says something is amiss here. But this dalitoy I prepared out of Urad Dal tasted good, so I now prepare this very often and serve it with rice-moong dal khichidi. 


Wash and pressure cook 1 cup of urad dal with 2 cups of water to 3-4 whistles. The urad dal should be mashed well. Remove and churn well with adding another cup of water. The consistency should be that of our normal dalitoy / spiced dal.


Pour the churned dal into a thick bottomed vessel add salt to taste, 5-6 green chillies slit lengthwise and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and let simmer.


For Tempering : Heat 1 tblsp of coconut oil or any other oil you prefer. When hot add 1 tsp of jeera and then ½ tsp of mustard seeds, when they splutter add in a tsp of hing powder and 10-12 curry leaves. Pour this over the cooked dal.


Remove the dal from heat and keep covered for 15-20 minutes before serving. This is to ensure that all the aromas has blended in well into the dal. Serve the dal hot with plain or jeera rice. This can be served with moong dal khichidi too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.