Friday, July 3, 2015

Double Stuffed Whole Green Mirchi (Chilly) Bhajia.



Double Stuffed Whole Green Mirchi (Chilly) Bhajia ... The large green chillies are here stuffed with baby corn covered with mashed sweet potatoes ... Something different I tried on my own that turned into a hit dish at potluck ... Yummy Yumz ....



** I love challenges and when it was my turn to prepare something deep fried unheard off, I was really not sure what exactly to do. Deep fried bajia is something common, so how could I make it into something different as per the challenge given. Well, I succeeded, I double stuffed and prepared bajias that forget my friends, even I myself had not eaten before. But frankly making of this Bajia really made me so tired that I really began to be doubtful wondering why did I ever think of making this innovative dish, I mean I could go wrong, or anything could happen, but when i started deep frying the stuffed chillies by dipping them in batter, they came out so well that half my tiredness got vanished and yes you guessed it right the other half went off when i ate it and not to mention the surprise looks on my friends and I beamed in delight as ... Yes I had won the challenge given to me and there was no doubt whatsoever on any faces. Thank God I thought, God has always been kind and stood by me in all sorts of ways and I have a lot to thank him for. 


** Though, the bajia looks like normal long green chilli stuffed deep fried bajias, I assure you it is not. I have micro-waved baby corns cut them lengthwise, covered it with boiled, mashed, spiced up sweet potatoes into the shape of Seekh kababs, then stuffed these inside the green chillies after slitting the long green chilly on one side. Then I dipped them in Bajia batter and deep fried them. Lot of labor isn't it, but trust me it is absolutely worth a try. Tastes simply awesome dunked in some Tomato ketchup ... Yummy Yum


** Here is the method of preparing the Double Stuffed Whole Green Mirchi (Chilly) Bhajia ....

** Peel off the skin and cut 500 gms of sweet potatoes into cubes. Sprinkle some water on it and microwave till well cooked. Remove, let cool a bit and then mash it a bit. Put it in a large flat bowl. Add ¼ tsp of turmeric powder, 2 tsp of red chilly powder, 1 tsp of hing powder, pinch of ajwain, ½ tsp coriander powder, ½ tsp amchur (raw mango) powder, ½ tsp jeera powder, ¼ tsp fennel seeds powder, salt as per taste, ½ cup of picked, washed and finely chopped coriander leaves and mix well. Mash and make the dough into a smooth ball consistency.


** Wash and let drain off the excess water from 6-8 small sized baby corn. Micro wave it for 2 minutes and then cut them straight vertically into 2 lengths. You can also steam cook them or also cook them with little water in a kadai. Keep this ready aside. You can also boil them in little water if not using micro wave method.


** In a bowl add 2 cups of sieved besan / Bengal gram flour. Add salt as per taste, 1 tsp hing powder, 1 tsp of red chilly powder and mix well. Now add in ½ cup of water and mix well. Add more water and bring to a thick paste consistency. The batter should be of thick pouring consistency. A bit thicker than the one we do for ordinary bajia, it should coat the back of a spoon in thick layer, wen you dip and remove the spoon out. This is to ensure that the stuffing does not come off when deep frying. Keep it aside for 10-15 minutes.


** Now for the stuffing part. Take a large handful of the mashed sweet potato mixture and give it an oblong shape almost the length of the baby corn. Flatten it a bit and keep the cut baby corn in the center and cover up the corn now on all sides with the stuffing giving it the shape similar to sheekh kabab. Prepare all the corns in similar way and keep it in the fridge for 10 minutes. Meanwhile give a slit to the long green chilly on one side only, taking care as to not break it. Gently remove the seeds within with your fingers. Now stuff the prepared corn-sweet potato into the green chilies gently. The chilies should at no point break open. Press it back into original shape and keep ready. Prepare all chilies similarly.


** Heat plenty of oil in a deep thick bottomed kadai for deep frying. Bring the oil to smoking point. Now lower the heat to medium and wait for 5 minutes before you start frying. Add a drop of besan batter into the oil, if it takes a second to bounce back it is ready. But if it gets burnt and comes up immediately, you need to wait for another 2 minutes for the right heat for frying.


** Dip the prepared / stuffed chilies into the besan batter, evenly coating it on all sides and gently drop one by one slowly into the hot oil. Wait for a few minutes before you stir them to get fried evenly. Let it fry on medium heat till evenly done and crispy on all sides. Remove them on an absorbent paper for the excess oil to drain off. Serve hot with Tomato ketchup / Red Chilly Sauce / Chutney or any dip of your choice. Tastes simply awesome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.