Friday, January 9, 2015

Rice and Moong dal Usli.


"Tandulu ani Mooga dali Usli / Seasoned Rice and Green Gram Dhal with lots of fresh coconut and ginger" ... No this is not the usual khichidi though the ingredients are same ... This is usli that my Mother used to prepare with lots of ginger that added in a unique flavor and freshly grated coconut that was crunchy to eat ... I simply love this dish to date and prepare it quite often ... Yummy Yumz ....


** I have grown up relishing this simple dish my Mother used to prepare and I simply loved it. After marriage and settling in Thane in the outskirts of Mumbai, I came across khichidi that was prepared using the same ingredients but the texture of it was mushy. My husband loved khichidi and me not knowing of the same prepared usli. He always asked why I prepared the texture of the khichidi like pulav and I wondered what he was saying. After querying with my helpful Maharashtrian neighbors I came to know about the Mumbaikars Khichidi style. Now I prepare both ways, though the mushy khichidi has taken over most of the time. But whenever I feel the desire to eat it I prepare the same and yes this one should be prepared with liberal addition of freshly grated coconut and ginger to get the right flavor and crunchiness. Recipe however is very simple and there is nothing much difference except on texture. Try it and I am sure you will love the change.


** Wash and soak 1 cup Basmati Tukda Rice / Jeera Rice for 20-30 minutes.

** Wash and mix with the Basmati tukda rice again with addition of  ¾ cup of Moong dal and drain on a colander. Keep this ready aside.

** Heat 2 tblsp oil + 2 tblsp pure ghee in a large Kadai, when hot add 1 tsp of rai (sasam), when it starts spluttering add in a pinch of hing, 10-12 small sized curry leaves, 5-6 green chillies slit and cut to 2 inch pieces. Fry well, lower the heat, add in 3-4 tblsp of finely chopped ginger and fry for one more minute. Add in the drained and kept ready basmati – moong dal mixture to this and mix well. Fry for a minute.


** Now add 3 cups of boiling water, salt to taste and mix well. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat. Cover and let cook on minimum heat till 95% done. When the mixture has almost cooked add 1 cup of freshly grated coconut and 1 tsp of coarsely crushed pepper powder and mix well. Cover and let cook for just 2-3 minutes. Remove and let cool a bit, once it has slightly cooled mix it slightly with a fork and its ready. 


** "Tandulu ani Mooga dali Usli / Seasoned Rice and Green Gram Dhal with lots of fresh coconut and ginger" is done and ready to be served. Serve this dish hot with lemon pickle or any accompaniment chutney and raita of your choice. This Usli / lentil-Rice tastes crunchy and awesome. You can serve with some fresh curd, salad or raita too. Do try this variation for a change and remember to give me a feedback. 

1 comment:

Thanks.