Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Bondi Kirpula / Banana Flower Bhaji.


"Bondi Kirpula / Banana Flower Bhaji" ... A delicious delicacy from the Konkani Saraswat Cuisine served as side dish prepared with banana flower which is called bondi in Konkani ... tastes awesome when served with Dalitoy and Rice .... 

** Bondi or banana flower is available almost all round the year and many dishes are prepared using this almond shaped flower. Banana Plant is a blessing to mankind as almost all the parts of the plant are used in some way or the other. While the fruits (Kele), the flower (Bondi) and the inner stem (Gabbo) are edible, the leaf is used as serving plate and prepared also into molds for preparing of steamed dishes. The only hitch here is it is difficult and time consuming to chop it finely which is the necessity in preparing the banana flower for dishes. Again, there are some parts of the country wherein only the inner while flower buds are consumed after removing the hard stick like stem within, while the outer covers are discarded. my mom never did it except for the outer most few caps that were hardened. 

** My mother used to chop the banana flower on addoli the vegetable cutter /knife mounted on a wooden board on which you can sit and I used to be totally zapped and always tell her that I would never do it, it was too tedious. So conveniently as I loved this dish prepared with oodles of garlic I prepared it only when she came over to stay. I did all the work of helping her out, but the chopping part was left to her while each time I watched in amazement, at time feeling sorry that I was compelling her to do it. So, to avoid the strain, I once tried it on my food chopper and it was total disaster as a thread like substance got tangled in my blade almost rocking my mixer after that I never attempted it in mixer grinder. Once hubby brought home this banana flower home when Mom was not around and I almost wept thinking how I would tackle this. 


** That full night I was not able to sleep thinking of the chopping strain. It was then that I got the Idea of chopping it into bits with scissors and then putting in blender and Eureka it worked, I did it in a jiffy. I cursed myself for not having thought about the same before, Mom's load would have been curtailed too. Off course the white buds within have to be separated and the innermost thick stick has to be removed before adding on the white buds too with the outer covers and chopping them. But it works fine. I have added the pictures of the chopping I did on my Black and Decker veggie chopper and I thanked God and my lucky stars a thousand times that day. The joy was that now I could bring it often and prepare the bhaji which we simply loved in my home and moreover Mom always says it is good for health and that it expels the worms from within the stomach. 

** Now whenever, mom visits, I prepare it as she too loves this garlic flavored bhaji very much. There are many more dishes, like bajias, cutlets etc. that can be prepared using these flowers. I really admire our ancestors who have left us such a huge legacy of delicacies that if you try them out one a day too, the year passes by without repetitions. My case is the same, in my quest to prepare and blog the dishes, many a times these dishes do not find their turns sometimes for years until my hubby cribs mentioning the dish names. Cooking is such a beautiful stress buster that as you work in your kitchen, you just cannot keep track of the time. Many a times I am late to office, I guess I am lucky that I am not answerable to any as it is my own business and hubby is lenient, off course because its food, after all he get the major chunk to relish. Do try this out, it;'s Yumz.


** Here is the method of preparing "Bondi Kirpula / Banana Flower Bhaji" .... My Easy Style ... 

** Chop one medium sized banana flower’s red outer covers finely. The flower has lots of white thin long tube like flowers within each covers which has lots of fibers inside them. The softer one’s are used while the center one which is a bit thicker and stiffer than the rest should be discarded. Chop these also very finely. Wash and rinse in plenty of water.

** Note : Do check out the process of chopping in the picture collage attached above. Also, some people add in some buttermilk to water and soak the chopped banana flower in it for about 20-30 minutes and then rinse it well, after which it is prepared into bhaji.

** Note : Sometimes there are sticky thread like substance in the chopped banana flower. If you take a fine firm wooden stick and rotate it in the soaked finely chopped banana flower, it gets wrapped round the stick and you can discard the same.

** Note : I have used food chopper electric machine, which is the easiest way out to prepare this. Also in this method there are no threads or whatsoever that comes from the outer chopped covers. But yes, you have to remove that stiff stick from within the white flower buds, before you add them to the chopper as they are inedible and even the chopper does not cut them. 


** To prepare the Bondi Kirpula/Banana Flower Bhaji : Heat 2-3 tblsp of oil in a kadai, add about 18-20 skinned-crushed garlic cloves, when they turn brownish add about 7-8 broken dry red chillies, fry a bit then add the finely chopped banana flower mix well, add salt to taste, about a cup of water and bring to a boil, cover and cook on low heat till cooked.

** Note : I have used about 8-10 cups of finely chopped banana flower here. You can also just crush the garlic with the skin on too and temper the same, it is more aromatic. Anyway that is suitable or desired by you and your family.

** This bhaji should be cooked for quite some time say at least 30 minutes on low heat, so keep checking and add in more water if necessary so that it does not get burnt. Also add a bit more of salt than you normally add for bhaji as it tastes better when cooked spicy and a bit salty.

**  Cook till all the water has evaporated and the bhaji is dry. You can add in a handful of finely grated fresh coconut towards the end and cook it for another 5-10 minutes, as they do in some southern parts of India. I do not do it, and I don't think it done so in any GSB's home from the South Kanara Dt. parts and the bhaji actually tastes awesome as it is.


** "Bondi Kirpula / Banana Flower Bhaji" is done and ready to be served. Bondi kirpula/bhaji is best served hot as side dish along with Dalitoy and Rice as it goes well with it as combo meal. In my home we just served with dalitoy and rice along with some bajos or papads and it is done. Goes well when served with peja/rice porridge to for dinner. Do try this delicious bhaji and enjoy with your family and friends.

** I will be adding many more dishes using bondi in blog as and when I prepare. There are many more dishes that I am sure will be loved by your family and friends. Konkani Cuisine is a vast one with loads of delicious dishes that will take me years to cover up. If you have not yet tried konkani dishes, do so, I assure you, it is not only delicious, it is light and good on tummy too. You and your family will definitely fall in love with these dishes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.