Saturday, December 13, 2014

Dudha-Rulava khadi/ Milk- Wheat Rava Burfi


"Naivedyam : Dudha-Rulava khadi/ Milk- Wheat Rava Burfi" ... I have often wondered what is it about childhood that one misses the most ... running behind Amma holding her pallu? picking secretly the delicacies stored in dabbas? running about with friends? the falling? the bruises? the tantrums? wailing? Oh! how I miss that carefree life ... there are plenty varieties of goodies available in stores these days ... but the child in us always longs for those we relished through childhood ... this is one of my favorite burfi that my Amma prepared to perfection toiling for hours in kitchen ... takes time, but turns out awesome ... toooo good, Yummilicious ... 

** Thanks to Amma, this is a very old and traditional method of preparing khadi/ burfi which she taught me decades back. I was quite enthusiastic to learn it from her but was famished by the time it was done and I could relish it. It really made me wonder at her patience in preparing it toiling for hours in the kitchen heat. I guess its the love they have for their children that makes all the difference. I cringe when I think of all those times when I pestered her to prepare them and she never cribbed even once. 

**  This method of preparing the burfi is very tedious and time consuming and whenever I prepare this burfi which I must confess is rarely I keep repeating Dharamji's dialogue from Sholay 'chakki peesing and peesing and peesing'. All said and done its always the end results that matter and makes it all worthwhile. This burfi turns fantastic and I always crave for more coz. I keep hogging on it the whole day long and it gets over within a few days. Well, I hope I keep preparing this once a year as is my practice. 

** Coming to burfi, the ingredients are simple and freely available in our kitchen, so no issues on that front. Just be prepared for the time required and see to it that you are not in a hurry or raise the heat to get it done fast which will spoil the end results. Again, please use full fat milk for best result, no point in preparing burfi with skimmed milk, if you must cut down on calories, then do so by eating a smaller piece. And above all, surprise your family and friends by serving them this delicious burfi on festive occasions.

** Here is my recipe for "Dudha-Rulava khadi/ Milk- Wheat Rava Burfi" which I learnt from my Amma, try it, tastes wonderful ....

** Ingredients :
Ghee/ Toop/ Clarified Butter : 1 cup 
Mangalore Rava/ Gavuncho Rulavu/ Bansi Rava/ Barik Lapsi : 1 heaped cup
Sugar/ Shakkar/ Sakkara/ Sakkare : 5-6 cups
Full Fat Milk/ Doodh/ Haalu : 6 cups
Kesar/ Keshar/ Saffron : large pinch
Cardamom/ Ellaichi/ Yellu Powder : 1/4 tsp


** Heat and keep full fat milk ready. I always use full fat milk for best results as skimmed milk will not give good results. For all those who are calorie conscious just cut down on the amount of consumption instead of cutting down on fat. 

** In a thick bottomed kadai add ghee and let it melt, now add in the mangalore rava/ bansi rava, sugar/ shakkar and mix well. 

** Now gently add in the heated full fat milk. Be careful as it tends to splutter. Cook on medium heat stirring often and bring all to full boil.

** Now cook on medium to low heat stirring all the time until the ingredients begin to thicken. Add in the saffron and continue stirring.

** Note : Along with saffron I have also added a large pinch of yellow colour to bring in that lovely color to the burfi. 

** Keep stirring taking care to see that the mixture does not get burnt at the bottom. It takes some time, almost an hour for the mixture to thicken.

** Once it thickens well and leaves the sides of the kadai and gets together into a rolling mass of a loose ball consistency its done. Just add another 1-2 tablespoon of melted ghee and mix well, this helps the burfi turn perfect shaped.


** To check if the burfi is done: Add about a tablespoon of the mixture on a plate and hold the plate in a tilted position, if it mixture does not slip its done. 

** Pour all the mixture in one go on a greased thali/ tray to which you should apply a little bit of ghee before hand. Now level the surface with the back of tumbler to which ghee is applied by patting it all over and making the surface even. 

** Keep prepared tray aside for 5 minutes to let cool. Then with the help of a blunt knife make deep impression of square marks on them. It is very important to make markings as once it cools down completely it becomes difficult to do so.

** The burfi cools down fast once you add it into the tray so keep a keen watch out to make the marking, after which you can leave it for some more time it is completely cooled and settled, after which you gently cut them to pieces. 

** "Dudha-Rulava khadi/ Milk- Wheat Rava Burfi" is done and ready to be offered as Naivedyam to God and thereby distributed among all. You can store them in air tight containers for more than 2 weeks provided they remain that long. This is one khadi/ burfi that I cannot resist relishing more than a few pieces, it has been my favorite from childhood and is a must to be prepared at least once a year during Diwali festival. Do try it out, children are sure to love them, so will elders for sure. 

** You can also check out on the following link for "Beetroot Dudha Khadi/ Burfi" recipe, which I have prepared on similar lines but with the addition of beetroot. I have included step by step method in the following link which is sure to be helpful ....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.